Be Careful What You Ask For

In 1977, many fans thought hiring TO was a mistake. TO almost took the HC job at CU. For all of you talking smack about Solich being the wrong hire, how can you possibly know that? If he was given 15 years, who knows? He hired more his staff and turned things around. Nobody here can say recruiting wouldn't have picked up under this new staff. Name one coach who's coached more than 5 years that has been coach of their conference 50% of their HC career!

2007 is very different from 1997. A large part of TO handing it over to Solich was to maintain continuity. Any changes made now will be for change, and continuity will not be a factor.

What is kind of odd is people only look at two names, really, for a change. People seem to think that Gill or Pelini are the only options we have. Either of them could be the right guy, or a disaster, no way to know. Maybe the guy is someone none of us have even thought about.

Tom Osborne surrounded himself with quality people in everything he has done, he does deserve the benefit of the doubt on this also. The man knows more about leadership and football than anyone who posts on these forums. I have faith he will find the right man for the job.

Considering IBR has been spot on with infor., I'm willing to take him at his word that all or most focus is on Bo right now. Here's something for everyone to put in their pipe and smoke: $ Byrne wanted to hire Bob Stoops when TO played his trump card and got Solich the job. Now, $ Byrne wants to hire who? Bo Pelini to take over for A&M. Maybe $ Byrne knows how to evaluate talent? I'm just saying!

I'd like to throw out a name that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Joe Glenn, the current Wyoming coach is a NU product, grew up in Lincoln, was absolutely spectacular at Northern Colorado, and has been successful at Wyoming. Rumor is that his contract with Wyoming has an out for him if offered the NU job. Any comments?

Tom Osborne appointed Frank Solich as head coach, effectively negating any input from the athletic director and bypassing search committees. How did that pan out? The program began a long slide that has continued to this day.

How many years as head coach did it take for Tom Osborne to win the national championship? More than fifteen years. Will any other head coach be given that kind of opportunity to succeed at NU ever again? Not likely. NU's days as a football power may well be over, given the sort of chaos that governs the program now.

Be careful what you ask for.

I'm just saying . . . be careful what you hope for. When administrative officials begin basing their decisions on mob pressure, you often get mob answers.

I was, like most, calling for a change. I was honestly hoping, though, that those more intimately involved in Husker athletics (like, for example, folks that actually work there) might use reasoned approaches.

Changing AD's in the middle of the season is lunacy--especially when it appears that it is done to ultimately fire a coaching staff. The results on the recruiting class are already being felt.

Callahan is in a no-win situation here; his entire staff is under fire, and all they can do is circle the wagons. His players have sounded as if they stand in defense of the coaching staff, by and large, and this makes the entire team feel under seige.

The likely scenario is that Callahan is looking for a buyout offer at this point. There is no way that he can possibly be enjoying this job any longer, and I am sure that 90% of his staff is ready to depart to more pleasant environs as well. They are waiting for the best offer, and then they are gone. And then, once again, NU must start from scratch. Will NU again have to start from scratch five years from now? Could well be.

NU looks to be another post-millennial victim. Things have changed, folks.

Nice oration.

But when is it NOT the middle of Some athletic season? AD for more than Football or VB.

I was a little surprised in the order of jettison, but agree with it. Almost Impossible to have anyone take us seriously with SP still here (See how he handled Houston Nutt situation), and NO chance at Pelinni.

Would you want to risk your resume on an AD who thinks 5-6 is less mediocre than 9or10-3?

We'd probably still be 10 or 15 years away from a MNC if we'd kept Frankie, but That'd probably be true with about anyone following T.O. ..Our Family atmosphere and T.O.'s reputation was what ultimately drew the kids in..And I seriously doubt even Dr. Tom could match his own record after we joined the Big-12.

From what I remember TO saying when he made the choice of putting Solich in as HC-- he said that Solich was calling the plays through the 90s; I think that there was a lot of evidence that Franky was going to do a good job.

His play calling really showed that it was awesome when he was head coach...Could TO just say that to ease the thoughts of the fans when Solich was getting the job??? perhaps.

There's so much that could have happened. I am NOT saying that he was a good play caller as HC-- it might have been that he got scared and kept going to a "safe place"... I'm just saying that TO had good reason to think he'd be good. I can't imagine that he would pick an incompetent just to "keep it in the family." I think that he saw a good coach who was also in the family. If he didn't trust him, I'm sure he would have given his recommendations to the AD and there would have been a formal search that would have included solich.

I'd like to throw out a name that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Joe Glenn, the current Wyoming coach is a NU product, grew up in Lincoln, was absolutely spectacular at Northern Colorado, and has been successful at Wyoming. Rumor is that his contract with Wyoming has an out for him if offered the NU job. Any comments?

My dh has been talking about Joe Glenn since Pedey fired Frank S. he has had a lot of success and looks to be a good guy. Hopefully he'll get a look when it comes to that.

You guys are forgetting that Frank Solich did turn things around in 2003 when he hired a new offensive coordinator and defensive one as well. They did turn the program around for a 9-3 season. Just imagine if we still had Frank and Bo on our side now. We probably could've been in the top 15 at least for the past 4 years.

I have to admit that, given the results of football this season, my expectations for our team have definitely changed too.....

1. Top 25 every year, no excuses. Top 15, 2 out of every 3 years (there was a time where I expected us to be in the NC hunt every single year).

2. NO blowout loses at home - regardless of the team we play, and NO blowout loses to Big 12 divisional foes.

3. Big 12 N championship 2 out of every 3 years, and never ever get blown out in the Big 12 Championship game.

4. Win 1/2 the Big 12 Championship games that we are in (that means a BCS bowl, at a minimum, 1 out of every 3 years).

It's called parity, and we just can't expect to win the Big 12 every single year; however, we should ALWAYS be competitive within our division at a minimum. And, by the way, I don't call 41 - 6 and 45 - 14 being competitive.

Also, I do realize these are pretty high expectations, but if we are doing this, then I can go into every single season with the optism that this, "Could be our Year".