NU vs UT - 2007

DaveH

First, the offense. At time we saw glimpses of what Keller and his team mates are capable of. The offensive line played pretty well I thought. Run blocking was improved and I thought Keller, for the most part, had time to make plays.

Keller himself I thought played just OK. He did, however, ding the UT secondary more than a few times in the middle of the field. Twice for touchdowns. However, he needs to learn to either throw the ball away or tuck it when he feels pressure. He's lost more fumbles that way and usually at the worst times. He has gotten better at not trying to force plays that aren't there, creating more turnovers.

I thought the defense played well for the most part. In the 4th quarter, there were some well documented break downs. Both defenses were on the field for roughly the same amount of snaps. TOP was a push.

NU really brought everything and the kitchen sink for a lot of plays in the game. The corner blitz was used pretty effectively and tacking was more solid than it has been. Lots and LOTS of Cover 0 blitzing which showed real balls and some confidence that the defense would make a play when needed. We saw what can happen in when you are in cover 0 and lose containment. Maybe towards the last part of the game NU should have gone to a Cover 2 or 3. Who knows.

Special teams was just adequate. Henery continues to kick FG's flawlessly however kick-offs weren't as deep as we'd expect from Kunalic. There was some wind that made it more difficult. Titchner played pretty well and we had a few good cover punts to give UT less than desirable field position.

Overall, the offense needs to close the game out. This is something that NU has struggled with a lot in recent years. NU puts another touchdown and a field goal up in the 3rd and they might have pulled off the upset in Austin.

As for next week, I think that KU is a better team than Texas but their schedule isn't the toughest. Because of that, they are a top contender in the North. They have a good defense and execute pretty well on offense. The environment in Lawrence isn't the most intimidating ever, but the KU faithful should be pretty pumped for this game. The Huskers will have to bring the effort they showed at UT plus better second half performance to come out with a win in Lawrence.

It is our homecoming game and it will be a good atmosphere. I know its not

Memorial Stadium, but it is still our field. I think it will be a good, close game

I just hope my fightin Manginos can hold off the Big Red.

BTW our kicker did not do very well at aTm so there is some hope for UNL.

we will run the ball effectively, as the NU rush defense is very bad, good luck to both teams :woo

Hey DH, good recap. Do you know if it was confirmed about the playcalling in the second half? Meaning, was it Watson the entire first and Cally the entire second? I read that Marlon said they ditched the normal 15 scripted plays because of the early running success. That's a feel for the game adjustment that should get some praises. I think the turning point was the offense not moving the chains during the third QTR after the first drive. The defense did play good and just got physically exhausted. I'm pretty confident in saying that had we moved the ball and traded field goals with them, we would be talking about a victory and how the defense played lights out.

KU is 8-0 for a reason. Winning is contagious and these guys are definitely believing in their ability. Could be ugly for the Huskers. And as you basically pointed out, which Husker team is going to show up. Personally, I just want it to be competitive with a chance to win it. No blowouts please.

By the way, you havent said it yet (with huge BOLD FONTS).... I'm guessing you forgot or didnt know... Because it's an early game (1130am).

Good recap. A cold front was moving towards hell and then it diverted the middle of the third quarter. We almost pulled it off. I thought Swift had a great game. I think Purify could have played better. I think Sam could have played better. Here's one - I ACTUALLY ENJOYED WATCHING THE GAME. The defensive schemes were working until we used them too many times. The team looked motivated, it was somewhat uplifting despite the result.

The players for the most part played a very good game. Our defence seemed to break down towards the 4th quarter, which was probably caused by all the blitzing we did...tends to tire a team out.

However, I believe our problem was our offense in the second half. We scored on our first drive, giving NU a lot of momentum...yet were unable to move the chains after that...

You can't get up by two touchdowns and then play "Not to lose"...and by that I mean hoping that the defense can hold off Texas for the rest of the game...Had we put up some more points after that first drive, we could of easily pulled off the upset. Instead, we had some devastating miscues, and ended up putting no more points on the board the rest of the third.

We continued to not put points on the board in the fourth, when texas scores 3 touchdowns...if we would of continued to put points on the board(even fieldgoals) instead of giving the ball right back to texas...the game would of been over.

Finishing the game is an important part of football...not finishing leads to going from up by two td's...to down by two td's..

Either way, the game looked like an improvement...but it's possible texas just overlooked us.

Either way, I think the Jayhawks will be ready...

It is our homecoming game and it will be a good atmosphere. I know its not

Memorial Stadium, but it is still our field. I think it will be a good, close game

I just hope my fightin Manginos can hold off the Big Red.

BTW our kicker did not do very well at aTm so there is some hope for UNL.

we will run the ball effectively, as the NU rush defense is very bad, good luck to both teams :woo

I thought Home comings were only special in High School! :nanalama