Option Offense

Movbez4

Outside of Navy, does any other legit (not counting Sunbelt League teams) actually still run the traditional option offense? I believe that here in Ohio that even Solich has strayed from the option offense used at nebraska under Coach Osborne, as Solich's Bobcats actually throw for nearly 250 per game adn rush for only around 140 per game. I am under the belief that it would be the wrong move for Nebraska to revert back to the an offense based solely on the option, and I feel this way because the players currently in place are not suited to the option offense, and I do not believe you win consistently in todays college atmosphere running the option. I feel that the West Coast Offense currently installed by Cally is too complicated for the college game, and the WC offense under Cally lacks the ability to control the game. I am hoping that Nebraska hires a coach whom is able to incorporate facets of the option for the power game, but is also able to spread the field and utilize a passing game, sort of a hybrid between the option and the spread offense if possible. In my opinion, the defense right now is a greater concern than the offense, and watching the games on satelite back here in Ohio, I wonder has anyone taught out defenders the basics of wrapping up when tackling or leverage? Thus I beleive that if we look for a new head coach, we should first and foremost on someone whom can install a defense that harkens back to the days of the blackshirts, and the offense will come. Although, this guy will never get any consideration as HC, but Larry Kehres of Mount Union has created a DYNASTY in DIV 3 and is a huge believer in the Osborne school of football.

wow. paragraph breaks are your friend, dude.

Having said that, I'd like to see some spread option, but not a traditional I formation power option game. I just don't know that a power option is going to succeed--especially with our players. But that's not to say that we can't throw in some aspects of it, and in the future mold the offense to the players. If in future years the players are there....run a little more of it. Or pass a little more if the personnel fits.

You basically could have said that not a lot of teams in the 80's and 90's ran the option but Nebraska still seemed to do well with running it. That being said It will probably be up to the new coach to implement whatever kind of offense he wants. Hopefully it's an offense that doesn't depend on getting the best receivers or qb, since most of the highest rated recruits for those positions are going to be looking to play in the warmer climents schools.

I am not sure if anyone here watched Buffalo vs. Syracuse on TV, but Turner Gill had a very well balanced offense. His team ranged from all formations...stemming from the I at some points to going five wide and using his QB's mobility to run and throw the football. I was just really impressed with how he makes these average kids play very good and disciplined football and making teams defend all areas of the field. That to me would be a great offense for the huskers.