Marlon Lucky

Lucky is most dangerous when he gets into the open field and with our O-line struggles this year we have trouble getting him in the open field. Therefore we pass to him a lot cause it gets him in space. Lucky isnt great at breaking talkles, he isnt a powerful runner so when you give him the ball on traditional plays between the tackles he is taken down easily

He kinda reminds me of what Reggie Bush is for the New Orlean Saints in that you dont see the saints line up and jsut pound Bush cause he is not that kinda back, they do a lot of reverse type runs, miss direction and passes outta the backfield. Given though that Lucky isnt nearly the player Bush is but there running styles are comparable.

Once again this goes back to the fact that Callahan CANNOT and WILL NOT make adjustments. He needs to utulizes Lucky's speed on the edge with more sweeps and reverse type plays instead of just running him into the line where he is not that good.

P.S. i would rather see him run Catille more and have Lucky run those misdirection plays.

Lucky is most dangerous when he gets into the open field and with our O-line struggles this year we have trouble getting him in the open field. Therefore we pass to him a lot cause it gets him in space. Lucky isn't great at breaking tackles, he isn't a powerful runner so when you give him the ball on traditional plays between the tackles he is taken down easily

He kinda reminds me of what Reggie Bush is for the New Orleans Saints in that you don't see the saints line up and just pound Bush cause he is not that kinda back, they do a lot of reverse type runs, miss direction and passes outta the backfield. Given though that Lucky isn't nearly the player Bush is but there running styles are comparable.

Once again this goes back to the fact that Callahan CANNOT and WILL NOT make adjustments. He needs to utilizes Lucky's speed on the edge with more sweeps and reverse type plays instead of just running him into the line where he is not that good.

P.S. i would rather see him run Castille more and have Lucky run those misdirection plays.

lucky is an outside guy, but cally has failed to use any of our backs in the right way imho.....i can't wait until next year.

Lucky is the best all purpose back we have. Does he run people over ? No, but isn't that what you have an offensive line for. Our backs from the past didn't wear their opponents down, the offensive line did. When a running back tries to constantly run the defense over, they end up getting hurt (Cody Glenn). Im not dogging on our o-line either, they're just doing what they're taught, zone blocking, and zone blocking sucks. Let those big fellas line up and smack someone, instead of making them dance with them.

Lucky is the best all purpose back we have. Does he run people over ? No, but isn't that what you have an offensive line for. Our backs from the past didn't wear their opponents down, the offensive line did. When a running back tries to constantly run the defense over, they end up getting hurt (Cody Glenn). Im not dogging on our o-line either, they're just doing what they're taught, zone blocking, and zone blocking sucks. Let those big fellas line up and smack someone, instead of making them dance with them.

yeah.gif

why doesnt callahan run the ball more to Lucky. all he really does is pass pass pass then run then 3 more passes. i cant pass unless u run that is what ive heard all my life and Marlon is a very imressive runner and he has the ability to take it to the house. what do u guys think of this?

Now... I don't like Cally by any means... but if you are going to ask questions like this please know what you are talking about first.

Our offensive play selection this year:

passing - 330 attempts this year (209 completions and of which 55 were caught by Lucky and 1 was thrown by him)

rushing - 337 attempts this year (170 carries by Lucky)

---------

So as you can see, we actually run more than we pass and Lucky is both our leading rusher and our leading receiver (he also has the highest QB rating :P). So as of right now we have ran approx 667 offensive plays and of those Lucky has touched the ball at least on 226 of those plays (that is with incomplete passes counted as plays). So Lucky is getting the ball 1/3 the time... he touches the ball enough.

why doesnt callahan run the ball more to Lucky. all he really does is pass pass pass then run then 3 more passes. i cant pass unless u run that is what ive heard all my life and Marlon is a very imressive runner and he has the ability to take it to the house. what do u guys think of this?

Now... I don't like Cally by any means... but if you are going to ask questions like this please know what you are talking about first.

Our offensive play selection this year:

passing - 330 attempts this year (209 completions and of which 55 were caught by Lucky and 1 was thrown by him)

rushing - 337 attempts this year (170 carries by Lucky)

---------

So as you can see, we actually run more than we pass and Lucky is both our leading rusher and our leading receiver (he also has the highest QB rating :P). So as of right now we have ran approx 667 offensive plays and of those Lucky has touched the ball at least on 226 of those plays (that is with incomplete passes counted as plays). So Lucky is getting the ball 1/3 the time... he touches the ball enough.

:yeah If anyone has been paying attention lately, they would know that BC has been running the ball almost too much because the D is so bad he's been trying to shorten the game.

Our running game has so many flaws it's mind-boggling.

1. Apparently we've got an over-complicated blocking scheme, as the question isn't will the O-line miss a block this play, but how many? If it's 2-3 you get our usual rushing attack––a flimsy 46 yard first half before we go to a Texas Tech offense to catch up. If it's only one maybe we'll get a few yards, then pass anyway.

2. I don't really think Lucky is very good anyway. You can yack all you like about 'style of back' but at the end of the day he goes down easier than the girlscout who tried to sell me cookies last summer. A strong gust of wind puts him on his ass. I know the O-line gives him no help in this regard, but even when it seems he has a shot he just flat can't stay on his feet.

3. I agree, Callahan has no idea how to use the running game. Every RB I've ever heard speak about the game has said you have to keep one back in to let him get his rythm, get used to the tempo of the defense. We play Musical Backs every single game, and it's never worked all that well.

4. Callahan is our head coach and play caller. There's the beginning and end of your problems.

X

I agree with so many points.

Our blocking scheme stinks

we dont utilize the strengths of our lineman. we are trying to make them dancers instead of blockers

musical running backs suck, as none of them get into the flow.

the list goes on and on as to what i agree with in this thread

What i do not agree with is:

Lucky isnt any good. Those of you who think this are grasping at straws. IMO it is mostly cuz we have forgotten how football is played. Due to the way our defense plays, we dont see the whole picture. Most defenses attack, swarm to the ball, gang tackle,OURS DOESNT, so we forget.

To say lucky goes down easy is a farce.

1. We block like ass

2. Opposing defenses attack, so there is generally 2,3,4 people hitting him when he has the ball, due to our blocking like ass

3. Realistically no other RB has had any real sustained success either, because we block like ass

What is it you want him to do. We sit here and yap about how terrible this guy is and he is probably going to be first team Big 12.

Mcfadden, Patrick, slaton, charles, the list goes on and on. They arent any different than lucky. watch their games, they dont run anyone over, their big plays come on the outside. We are the only major college defense that produces holes up the middle that a mack truck can drive through.

the big difference is, the aforementioned people, have blocking and we dont. watch west virginia, when they run, the line punishes people. OU knocks people on their asses when they run, yet we sit there and try to dance the waltz.

Lucky is the starter, he is very good, i feel bad for him at the way he is used and the product the coaches have given him to deal with. Next year, with new coaches, Lucky will be the starter, because he will win the job because he is better than anyone else we have.

As a whole our fanbase amazes me at times. We have most likely the first team Big 12 RB on our sh**ty squad, a squad filled with problems, and we want to bitch about how bad he is. Castille and Helu and Glenn would not and could not have accomplished anywhere near what Lucky has this year with the same amount of touches.

Lets bitch about the problems and lay off of one of the very few actual bright spots on this team

Lucky is the starter, he is very good, i feel bad for him at the way he is used and the product the coaches have given him to deal with. Next year, with new coaches, Lucky will be the starter, because he will win the job because he is better than anyone else we have.

As a whole our fanbase amazes me at times. We have most likely the first team Big 12 RB on our sh**ty squad, a squad filled with problems, and we want to bitch about how bad he is. Castille and Helu and Glenn would not and could not have accomplished anywhere near what Lucky has this year with the same amount of touches.

Lets bitch about the problems and lay off of one of the very few actual bright spots on this team

Wow, that was poignant and very well phrased. Cheers to Lucky, and stop with the bashing. The guy is a stud, and the fact of the matter is that if he played on any of the top 25 teams he would be talked about in Heisman conversations.

He chose to come to Nebraska, got stuck with a sh*tty situation and is doing the best he can. The least we can do is let him know we appreciate his efforts.

Our running game has so many flaws it's mind-boggling.

1. Apparently we've got an over-complicated blocking scheme, as the question isn't will the O-line miss a block this play, but how many? If it's 2-3 you get our usual rushing attack––a flimsy 46 yard first half before we go to a Texas Tech offense to catch up. If it's only one maybe we'll get a few yards, then pass anyway.

2. I don't really think Lucky is very good anyway. You can yack all you like about 'style of back' but at the end of the day he goes down easier than the girlscout who tried to sell me cookies last summer. A strong gust of wind puts him on his ass. I know the O-line gives him no help in this regard, but even when it seems he has a shot he just flat can't stay on his feet.

3. I agree, Callahan has no idea how to use the running game. Every RB I've ever heard speak about the game has said you have to keep one back in to let him get his rythm, get used to the tempo of the defense. We play Musical Backs every single game, and it's never worked all that well.

4. Callahan is our head coach and play caller. There's the beginning and end of your problems.

X

Good call on Lucky going down without a fight too often. I guess many of the people on this board must have missed the 3rd(maybe it was 4th?) and 1 play where Lucky took a handoff, saw a little congestion, so he chopped his feet down, and went into contact with his shoulders turned toward the sideline(as usual when there's going to be contact) and went down easily. Needless to say, no 1st down, and all momentum down the drain. He's an outstanding receiver, but he's not exactly making anyone in the Big 12 forget about Adrian Peterson when it comes to running with heart.

I would agree with alot of this. Our O-line did wear down alot of teams. But, we did have a few backs that would wear down the defenses too. Amahn Green, Daren Dedrick, Mike Rozier and most of the full backs. I think Castille with be that type of back to smack you in the mouth and wear you down mentally. Most of the best backs at Neb were real bruisers and did make the D think twice about tackling them. That really does wear you down. You have to set a tone and the only way to do that is to be a punisher and Lucky is not. IMO he would be a great reciever. And in the pros, I think he has a better chance to play reciever vrs RB. JMO