Offense

I was just wondering what the consensus is on what offense would best suit the Huskers for the new coach after this one is dismissed?

I mean, personally I thought the running game before with the option offense was fine, but that it needed the addition of a thirty to forty percent mix of pass to go with it to keep defenses honest. Teams basically forced us into passing which was our weakness and we have always had a difficult time with top 10 opponents once we fell behind because of that weakness. Essentially, I'm looking for what our fans think would work best and not just the norm today of an open passing game.

We have always been a powerful, grind'em out, push'em back, and wear'em out type of football team in the past, why can we not get back to that type of football with a sufficient passing attack?

Need some help fans, tell me your thoughts.

I was just wondering what the consensus is on what offense would best suit the Huskers for the new coach after this one is dismissed?

I mean, personally I thought the running game before with the option offense was fine, but that it needed the addition of a thirty to forty percent mix of pass to go with it to keep defenses honest. Teams basically forced us into passing which was our weakness and we have always had a difficult time with top 10 opponents once we fell behind because of that weakness. Essentially, I'm looking for what our fans think would work best and not just the norm today of an open passing game.

We have always been a powerful, grind'em out, push'em back, and wear'em out type of football team in the past, why can we not get back to that type of football with a sufficient passing attack?

Need some help fans, tell me your thoughts.

I think we need a new style of offense. Something that has option plays, west coast plays and spread plays. It would be great to see 3 running backs in there at one time on one play and on the next play have 3 wide receivers. Have a QB that can run and pass, so the defense would never know what we were going to do.

I think we need the kind of offense that scores more points than the other team. That's what I think.

I understand that, but I'm looking for an open honest assessment of what will propel us into the elite powers once again. I think this year is seriously just a freak year and the assumptions that parity is here are hogwash. Next year, I think the top programs will once again dominate and things will be back the way they were, it always has been that way and will not change IMO.

But I want to know from everyone; what diversification we will need to win again successfully against everyone and not just the lower programs.

I think we need the kind of offense that scores more points than the other team. That's what I think.

I understand that, but I'm looking for an open honest assessment of what will propel us into the elite powers once again. I think this year is seriously just a freak year and the assumptions that parity is here are hogwash. Next year, I think the top programs will once again dominate and things will be back the way they were, it always has been that way and will not change IMO.

But I want to know from everyone; what diversification we will need to win again successfully against everyone and not just the lower programs.

The best offense is the one the new coach installs, is most comfortable with, best underrstands, and best fits the personnel on hand. No coach is going to come here if he thinks he will be expected to run a particular offensive scheme instead of his own. You get a great coach, and any offense will work.

I would tend to agree with your opinion. An offense predicated on the power running game with the zone game mixed in. Definitely need the ability to throw... I'd like to see a more balanced attack that could attract top flite WR recruits as well as the best RB recruits.

BUT...more than anything...gimme a DOMINANT DEFENSE!!!!!

I would tend to agree with your opinion. An offense predicated on the power running game with the zone game mixed in. Definitely need the ability to throw... I'd like to see a more balanced attack that could attract top flite WR recruits as well as the best RB recruits.

I agree with you there, DEFENSE wins championships, not necessarily a powerful offense. They go hand in hand, but teams have won with dominant defense and so so offenses.

If you win the time of possession war and the turnover battle, you stand a very good chance of winning the game. I think we have the players to run a power running game, but I think throwing the rock around a little is good. Strictly running the ball will get you stuffed (see A&M against KU). Strictly passing the ball will get you beat also (see Texas Tech against Mizzou). IMO, we have a finnesse offense. At the college level, this doesn't work. Whatever offense we use, we have to be aggressive. Nudeheisel tried finnesse at CU, and it didn't work. No matter whether we air it out more or run more, the OL has got to knock the DL on their heels. I think it would be a shame with some of the young receivers we have to go to strictly a power running game.

If you win the time of possession war and the turnover battle, you stand a very good chance of winning the game. I think we have the players to run a power running game, but I think throwing the rock around a little is good. Strictly running the ball will get you stuffed (see A&M against KU). Strictly passing the ball will get you beat also (see Texas Tech against Mizzou). IMO, we have a finnesse offense. At the college level, this doesn't work. Whatever offense we use, we have to be aggressive. Nudeheisel tried finnesse at CU, and it didn't work. No matter whether we air it out more or run more, the OL has got to knock the DL on their heels. I think it would be a shame with some of the young receivers we have to go to strictly a power running game.

I'd like to see something similar to what florida/ west virginia runs.

I agree with you there, DEFENSE wins championships, not necessarily a powerful offense. They go hand in hand, but teams have won with dominant defense and so so offenses.

Balanced offense with a killer defense.

Don't forget about special teams...when was the last time Nebraska returned any kind of kick for a score? When is the last time a punt was blocked for a score?

The best offense is the one the new coach installs, is most comfortable with, best underrstands, and best fits the personnel on hand. No coach is going to come here if he thinks he will be expected to run a particular offensive scheme instead of his own. You get a great coach, and any offense will work.

Well no shizzle, but since we will have the option (no pun intended) to pick any coach we want we can also pick what kind of offense we would want in the process. Nobody is suggesting to hire a west coast O guy to come run the power I. The better question is whether the next head coach will be able to decide what kind of an offense he wants or if Osborne will basically tell the new coach that a certain OC or offensive scheme comes with the job. He said he doesn't want to micromanage, but I have a feeling he wouldn't mind deciding what kind of general offensive scheme the team runs in the next number of years.