Strength training or technique?

adc7236

There were numerous breakdowns with our D today but I want to specifically talk about not getting off our blocks on the line or upfield.

My question....is this bad technique, lack of strength training, both? Lack of desire? No fire? Our players got manhandled all day long. I think more than just crappy scheming and making zero adjustments from Coz is broken here.

All of the above, sadly.

It's important to note that the "Husker Power" we all grew up with is gone. When Callahan came in he brought in his own Strength & Conditioning coach, and just like everything else he changed, the change worked for the worse, not the better.

Combine that with this joke of a defensive staff we have, and the staff-wide Pro-Style concept of no contact during weekly practices, and you have a recipe for disaster.

There were numerous breakdowns with our D today but I want to specifically talk about not getting off our blocks on the line or upfield.

My question....is this bad technique, lack of strength training, both? Lack of desire? No fire? Our players got manhandled all day long. I think more than just crappy scheming and making zero adjustments from Coz is broken here.

I have always thought that it could be a matter of strength training. I still believe that Dave Kennedy needs to go. I guess my biggest problem with him, is his lack of "power" training with the guys. Countless times I found lineman walking on the stairmaster for 20 minutes or slow. What does that teach you as a player to do? Train slow=play slow!

I have always thought that it could be a matter of strength training. I still believe that Dave Kennedy needs to go. I guess my biggest problem with him, is his lack of "power" training with the guys. Countless times I found lineman walking on the stairmaster for 20 minutes or slow. What does that teach you as a player to do? Train slow=play slow!

agree, Kennedy is not the right guy, but he is among many who subscribe to the wrong formula for success.

It's all the above. There's no first move by the D lineman to keep an O lineman's hands from steering them. LB's aren't plugging holes. Where are the pancakes? I don't see much downfield blocking by the receivers. Tight ends aren't hooking. You can go on and on. Every week it's the same old crap! :madash:madash:madash Somehow somewhere, all techniques are mediocre at best.

I may be wrong and am only guessing.... BUT I think the NFL coaching mentality is a the root of the problem. I remember during the spring training that Gruden came and praised the NU practices as being run in a professional manner.

Would like to have someone who is much more informed than I comment on -

1) mid-week NFL "practices" vs College.... specifically on wearing full pads and "hitting" vs going thru the motions. Our defense just doesn't seem to hit or tackle people anymore. Is it the result of "we play how we practice."???

2) strength training - NFL vs College. Are there subtle and significant differences?

3) preparing the defense for option football. Does the NFL even bother or is it just a college thing?

4) half time adjustments. Why does it seem like NU never makes any significant adjustments.

Last but not least,

5) emotional preparation. Who are you playing for? Yourself? Your salary? Your team?

Sorry for being long winded.