Here's a great coach

Being in the area and a retired Navy officer, I would like add some perspective to this thread now that we've reached a commonality between my two loves - Nebraska and Navy. PJ is a great coach with the talent he is provided. Remember, they do not recruit 5 star atheletes. These are future Navy Officers who just happen to have some football skills. From that meager pool of talent, he has done very well in bringing the Commanders Trophy back to Annapolis on a regular basis again - but all that means is that you are able to dominate the OTHER service academies that are in the same situation.

Unfortunately, his system would not work in the Big XII or any other major conference, even with the expected increase in talent. It is simple and predictable. The fact that he ended college football's longest losing streak has me as giddy today as I am distraught about getting hammered in Lawrence yesterday, but he (and his system) is not the answer to the Cornhuskers regaining prominence in the country.

Don't latch on to PJ because he reminds us of our domination roots from years ago with the option any more than you would suggest Fisher DeBerry from the Wing Nut Academy. It is time to build a program that embraces new schemes and flexibility - without being the size of the Omaha phone book. Something that someone like Norm Chow would bring, and Peterson as mentioned elsewhere on this board. I'm on the fence about Pellini. I get the sense that he is a powder keg ready to explode at a moment's notice and might bring more negative publicity to our program than he is worth. Just a gut feeling I have.

But see, the triple option isn't the only offense he knows, which I believe is his strength. When he was at Hawaii, he didn't exactly run the triple option.

He's the kind of guy who will run the kind of offense that suits the talent he has on hand.

I believe this guy would be pretty good, but his defenses need some help...of course, he's at Navy of all places, and as you said above, he can't recruit FB players...he recruits future officers who are OK at football.

I would love to have this guy as a coach at NU.

Yet his team's defense has improved in his time at Navy:

Not to be overlooked is the defense, which made a dramatic improvement thanks to improved speed and the switch to a 3-4 defense. The Mids' most significant improvement came against the pass, as Navy ranked 14th in the country (180.23 yards per game) after ranking 61st in 2002. The defense also made major improvements in pass efficiency defense (from 116th to 42nd), total defense (100th to 42nd) and scoring defense (108th to 34th)

This is good... :bonez

OMG for all of you English teachers i've corrected my errors. And Yes Miss Spelt can coach better than Bill Callahan :clap

I didn't think that I would get all of these responses for a few grammer errors. I LOVE YOU ALL EVEN YOU HUSKER37 :woo

It's "I've", not "i've".

I'm just sayin'...

Ok then it's saying not sayin......there look our Admin made a mistake too.

OMG for all of you English teachers i've corrected my errors. And Yes Miss Spelt can coach better than Bill Callahan :clap

I didn't think that I would get all of these responses for a few grammer errors. I LOVE YOU ALL EVEN YOU HUSKER37 :woo

It's "I've", not "i've".

I'm just sayin'...

Ok then it's saying not sayin......there look our Admin made a mistake too.

Ya Know...I'm gonna miss the the way the posts were written before they were corrected. :hellloooo

And just when I figured out what MCAT800 meant by "are Offense"

Yea I watched it and I am dam glad that's not going to be are offense.

Let me tell you, as a lifelong Navy fan and Annapolis native, I would be sad to see Paul Johnson go but if he left for Nebraska you would be getting a hell of a coach. Some have said who has be beaten? He was a fumble away from beating Boston College in the Meineke Car Care Bowl last year, he's made 4 straight bowl games winning 2 and he'd done all of this with less talent, but there's more to it than that. If he is your coach you will have a disciplined team that will play every down 100%. Now some have said the tripple option won't work in the Big XII. It will. Texas won running a form of the option. Florida runs a version of it. West Virginia runs a version of the option. I get to see it every week and it is one of the most fun things to watch. As I said, I would hate to see him go but he's really done all he can at Navy. Winning record. Commander in Chief's Trophy. Four straight bowl games. Top 25 finish. He's a great coach.

Johnson would never consider coming to Nebraska, I think he will be staying at Navy. Other than the triple option, I haven't seen that much from him. His defense really isn't that great...come on, Notre Dame? As Espn said about Nebraska....the girl scouts could put a team on the field against Notre Dame...lol. Well...maybe. Think they better beat Nebraska first....and work their way up the ladder....

Well he tried to get the North Carolina State coaching job. I guess your saying he considers NCS a better job then coaching at Nebraska. I would hazard a guess that Notre Dame could beat Nebraska.

I for one hope that TO does not choose a coach for the style of offense they run, but rather for their ability to lead, coach, and mold their players into great football players.

Do you really think TO cares if we go back to an option offense?

I sure hope not.

EXACTLY. We all remember the wonderful success story that was Frank Solich running the option offense.