Here's a great coach

Still waiting for someone to tell me what "good" team this guy has beat. Don't give me Notre Dame or Pitt either.

Who you beat is quite relative to who it is you have to work with. PJ has taken every team he has been associated and improved them.... dramatically, relative to their competition. He has beaten 75% of his competition with teams he inherited that never sniffed .500 before he got there.

Who has Pelini beaten? No one. Who has Gill beaten? Only those placed in front of him --- and nowhere near to the degree of PJ. Having this discussion given the principles: PJ vs. Pelini or Gill, is almost ridiculous. PJ is light years ahead.

Still waiting for someone to tell me what "good" team this guy has beat. Don't give me Notre Dame or Pitt either.

Who you beat is quite relative to who it is you have to work with. PJ has taken every team he has been associated and improved them.... dramatically, relative to their competition. He has beaten 75% of his competition with teams he inherited that never sniffed .500 before he got there.

Who has Pelini beaten? No one. Who has Gill beaten? Only those placed in front of him --- and nowhere near to the degree of PJ. Having this discussion given the principles: PJ vs. Pelini or Gill, is almost ridiculous. PJ is light years ahead.

I think beating a "good" team would speak volumes with how good this guy is. Navy plays nobody and this guy has beat all those nobodies, which is impressive. However if this guy is who some want to take over NU then I would like to see some kind of big time win against a "good" team. Crap look at the Boise guy he already has a win against a "good" team that people could look at.

I think Pelini assisted OU and LSU to some pretty good wins. I'm sure the teams that he has helped beat trump any team that Johnson has helped defeat. The same could probably be said for Gill as well with the teams defeated while at NU. Also Gill's turn around at Buffalo this year is very similar to Johnson at Navy. Both teams stunk(Buffalo was the worst in D1) followed by rocky first years to pretty good 2nd years.

Short list of favorites for me ..

1a.) Bo Pelini

1b.) Will Muschamp

2.) Jim Schwartz - DC for the Titans. If you see the job he does with the amount of talent he has, you understand why I love this guy. Young (41) and one of those fiery coaches you love to have.

3.) Mike Pettine - I love this guy as a coach. He's the OLB coach for the Ravens, and is another one of those young and fiery guys. What he has done for guys like Bart Scott and Adalius Thomas is wonderful. Not to mention his father is a legendary coach in Pennsylvania, during which at the same time, Mike, coached at a rival HS. So, IMO, he would be a quality recruiter.

4.) Dan Mullen - TO has already mentioned how he loves the offense at Florida, and that is good enough for me.

5.) Rex Ryan - Son of the legendary Buddy Ryan. Why this guy has not gotten an NFL head coaching gig is beyond me.

Bring in Phil Bennett (recently departed SMU coach) as the DC, and I may feel pretty good about next season. :)

Folks, what this team needs is a proven head coach - not an assistant. The problems with this team are many and run wide and deep. We need someone that has experience with all aspects of a program - hiring good assistants, overseeing the conditioning program, directing the entire recruiting effort. Everything.

Bo might be that guy - but he's not proven to be. Hiring him is a crapshoot at best. Gill at least has some experience in that area. Paul Johnson, when you consider those facts, has both beaten.

Johnson runs the option at Navy because it is best suited for the restricted talent base he has. Ever wonder why the service academies tend to run it? Duh!

Johnson has been a winner every where he's been such as Georgia Southern where he was I-AA coach of the year four consectutive times 97-2000 and won two national championships.

His offenses have been explosive and record breaking. While at Georgia Southern 389 team or individual records were set. When he was the offensive coordinator at Hawaii the team broke or equaled over 160 school records.

It is glaring that Johnson took a program at Navy that was 1-20 in the previous two seasons before he got there and turned them around after going 2-10 his first season then 35-15 over then next four. Again to do that with a restricted talent base is amazing.

PJ would be a nice fit for you guys.

Surprised nobody's talking about JIM GROBE (coach of defending ACC champs Wake Forest). Take it from a Tar Heel: the guy's a heck of a coach, nothing but class, teams always play above their ability, especially adept on the ground but with great balance. I'm old enough to have cared about FB for 35 years, and nobody in my lifetime has come close to winning at Wake like GROBE has. Frankly, I'm astonished that nobody else has hired the guy away from Wake yet; he'd be the PERFECT FIT at Nebraska IMHO...

Folks, what this team needs is a proven head coach - not an assistant. The problems with this team are many and run wide and deep. We need someone that has experience with all aspects of a program - hiring good assistants, overseeing the conditioning program, directing the entire recruiting effort. Everything.

Bo might be that guy - but he's not proven to be. Hiring him is a crapshoot at best. Gill at least has some experience in that area. Paul Johnson, when you consider those facts, has both beaten.

:yeah

PJ would be a nice fit for you guys.

Surprised nobody's talking about JIM GROBE (coach of defending ACC champs Wake Forest). Take it from a Tar Heel: the guy's a heck of a coach, nothing but class, teams always play above their ability, especially adept on the ground but with great balance. I'm old enough to have cared about FB for 35 years, and nobody in my lifetime has come close to winning at Wake like GROBE has. Frankly, I'm astonished that nobody else has hired the guy away from Wake yet; he'd be the PERFECT FIT at Nebraska IMHO...

Grobe is another that I think could be considered...but would HE consider the switch? IDK?

Being in the area and a retired Navy officer, I would like add some perspective to this thread now that we've reached a commonality between my two loves - Nebraska and Navy. PJ is a great coach with the talent he is provided. Remember, they do not recruit 5 star atheletes. These are future Navy Officers who just happen to have some football skills. From that meager pool of talent, he has done very well in bringing the Commanders Trophy back to Annapolis on a regular basis again - but all that means is that you are able to dominate the OTHER service academies that are in the same situation.

Unfortunately, his system would not work in the Big XII or any other major conference, even with the expected increase in talent. It is simple and predictable. The fact that he ended college football's longest losing streak has me as giddy today as I am distraught about getting hammered in Lawrence yesterday, but he (and his system) is not the answer to the Cornhuskers regaining prominence in the country.

Don't latch on to PJ because he reminds us of our domination roots from years ago with the option any more than you would suggest Fisher DeBerry from the Wing Nut Academy. It is time to build a program that embraces new schemes and flexibility - without being the size of the Omaha phone book. Something that someone like Norm Chow would bring, and Peterson as mentioned elsewhere on this board. I'm on the fence about Pellini. I get the sense that he is a powder keg ready to explode at a moment's notice and might bring more negative publicity to our program than he is worth. Just a gut feeling I have.

But see, the triple option isn't the only offense he knows, which I believe is his strength. When he was at Hawaii, he didn't exactly run the triple option.

He's the kind of guy who will run the kind of offense that suits the talent he has on hand.

I believe this guy would be pretty good, but his defenses need some help...of course, he's at Navy of all places, and as you said above, he can't recruit FB players...he recruits future officers who are OK at football.

I would love to have this guy as a coach at NU.

Being in the area and a retired Navy officer, I would like add some perspective to this thread now that we've reached a commonality between my two loves - Nebraska and Navy. PJ is a great coach with the talent he is provided. Remember, they do not recruit 5 star atheletes. These are future Navy Officers who just happen to have some football skills. From that meager pool of talent, he has done very well in bringing the Commanders Trophy back to Annapolis on a regular basis again - but all that means is that you are able to dominate the OTHER service academies that are in the same situation.

Unfortunately, his system would not work in the Big XII or any other major conference, even with the expected increase in talent. It is simple and predictable. The fact that he ended college football's longest losing streak has me as giddy today as I am distraught about getting hammered in Lawrence yesterday, but he (and his system) is not the answer to the Cornhuskers regaining prominence in the country.

Don't latch on to PJ because he reminds us of our domination roots from years ago with the option any more than you would suggest Fisher DeBerry from the Wing Nut Academy. It is time to build a program that embraces new schemes and flexibility - without being the size of the Omaha phone book. Something that someone like Norm Chow would bring, and Peterson as mentioned elsewhere on this board. I'm on the fence about Pellini. I get the sense that he is a powder keg ready to explode at a moment's notice and might bring more negative publicity to our program than he is worth. Just a gut feeling I have.

But see, the triple option isn't the only offense he knows, which I believe is his strength. When he was at Hawaii, he didn't exactly run the triple option.

He's the kind of guy who will run the kind of offense that suits the talent he has on hand.

I believe this guy would be pretty good, but his defenses need some help...of course, he's at Navy of all places, and as you said above, he can't recruit FB players...he recruits future officers who are OK at football.

I would love to have this guy as a coach at NU.

Yet his team's defense has improved in his time at Navy:

Not to be overlooked is the defense, which made a dramatic improvement thanks to improved speed and the switch to a 3-4 defense. The Mids' most significant improvement came against the pass, as Navy ranked 14th in the country (180.23 yards per game) after ranking 61st in 2002. The defense also made major improvements in pass efficiency defense (from 116th to 42nd), total defense (100th to 42nd) and scoring defense (108th to 34th)