Big 12 Coaches Teleconference

Callahan's Monday Comments

Husker coach Bill Callahan just got done answering questions at Monday's Big 12 Coaches Teleconference.

The first question asked of him: At this point, after what happened at Kansas, is there any reason to believe you're going to be back at Nebraska?

After a nine-second pause, the answer: "Yes, the thing I would say that. I'm going to let the powers that be make those decisions. All I'm going to do is prepare our team for Kansas State and do the best I can. I think that's all any coach can do, is do the best he can with the situation he's in. That's what we're trying to do."

The second question asked of him: Has anyone from the university come and asked for a resignation?

Answer: "You know what, I respect your question, but those are issues that I would have to defer right now to the higher-ups. Again, the situation is very disappointing for us and we're working through it the best we can. It's one of those years we just haven't performed to the standard we want to perform at, so I'll let the higher-ups and whoever the decision-makers are make those decisions."

A call was made to the "higher-ups."

Randy York, associate athletic director for communications, said Tom Osborne is still evaluating this coaching staff to season's end, just as he said he would from the beginning.

"Tom Osborne believes in keeping his word," York said. "He's a strong believer in integrity. He said what he's going to do and he's not going to devieate from that. When he says something, he means it."

An out-of-state journalist asked Callahan how he handles all these tough questions that are coming at him right now.

Callahan's answer: "I just think you have an inner strength. I kind of count on the Lord in that respect. That's were I derive my strength from. I think that's where most Christian people do. You just trust the Lord and you go forward and that's all you can do. I'm a firm believer of that, have always been, and will continue to be."

LJS Blog

I wish they would have asked why any husker fan would believe that he can turn this around and if he himself thinks he can turn it around. The next question would be "in light of the current state of the defense, which I'm sure you can understand the complexity of the ranking system in college ball, do you think the current staff can turn it around and if so, what specifically will you do as a head coach to help this happen?

Now I'd like to hear real answers to these questions.

That some serious in-your-face questions. Damn.

At this point, I don't really care if the media gets in Callahan's face. A few weeks ago, maybe, but not now. It's so obvious that they guys is a dead man walking that I don't even derive any joy out of seeing him try to explain how this is happening or see him try to dance around his uncertain future. The guy is gone, the team is lost. Nobody (including the coaches) is enjoying this, so let's just allow him to give his vague BS answers for the next few weeks and let it go. There's blood in the water, but that doesn't mean we should attack. He'll get his in the end. If we attack him now, it only makes us look bad.

Nice dodge on the resignation question. Says A LOT! Bye Cally! :cheers

What was he supposed to say? He's already said that he won't resign.

If you read the question that I was referring to, they asked if anyone from the university has asked him to resign. Not if he would resign. His non-answer tells me that YES, in fact, they have asked him to resign. Maybe he said no, but that wasn't my point here.