The State of Husker Football

mwj98

I

Nebraska has the best fans in colllege football period. Why? Because we support our team no matter what.

How then do you explain the thousands of people leaving the Texas A&M game at half-time?

Let me help out with the explanation. The reason people left was the same reason we all left a decade or so ago. After half when the game is out of hand, fans (myself included) get thirsty and head for the bar. If it's us that got crushed, we drown our sorrows. If it was us doing the crushing, we celebrate.

Really, why do people make a big deal about fans clearing out at half? Like I said, when I was in college we never stayed past halftime because we were blowing people apart. KU came to town I believe in 93 or so. They were ranked, so the game was hyped up. We kicked their tail bad. It was a cold night, so there were complete sections empty in the stadium.

If it's ok to leave after half when we're blowing a team out at home, what makes it so wrong to leave when we're getting blown out? This is why 8 man and 6 man football in Nebraska used to have a 45 point rule (mercy rule). Watching a team lose is one thing, but watching a team get crushed really isn't that much fun. What difference does it matter if your team is the one crushing or getting crushed?

BRI - I attended the Texas A&M game. I'm from Illinois so have made only 1 game/yr from the last 3 years. My observatiions of the fans:

* Fans before the game were buying a lot of stuff from the Big Red store just west of the stadium (across the street). The place was absolutely jammed.

* Stadium filled early and it was greating seeing the band play, tunnel walk displayed on jumbo screen, jets flying over and crowd support of team.

* Early in the 3rd Qt it was obvious that we were going to lose again because our defense had no answer to their QB option play. Sam and offense kept battling however.

* Fans around me were unhappy and sarcastic, but -

* NEVER heard anyone cursing out the players or making an ass of themselves. Also,

* No one was drunk or obnoxious. Just disheartened fans who love the team and were sick about the play.

I think you will have a good experience. Hope NU beats KSU.

Thanks for the info. I've been to two games so far this season...........USC & ISU and both of those games were fine. I imagine people will just be disheartened about this whole thing, but they will still support the skers. :thumbs

BRI.....we also went to the A&M game. It was still a great atmosphere! People buying from the bookstore, lots of things going on in the Husker Nation (they usually have somebody signing autographs.....I got Jerry Tagge's), Huskerboard tailgate. We stood down on the red carpet during the Tunnel Walk, but if it's your Dad's 1st time, you might want him to see it from his seat. We actually were in the A&M section, but they were all very pleasant. Have a great day! And enjoy the memories with your Dad! And Go Big Red!!

BRI.....we also went to the A&M game. It was still a great atmosphere! People buying from the bookstore, lots of things going on in the Husker Nation (they usually have somebody signing autographs.....I got Jerry Tagge's), Huskerboard tailgate. We stood down on the red carpet during the Tunnel Walk, but if it's your Dad's 1st time, you might want him to see it from his seat. We actually were in the A&M section, but they were all very pleasant. Have a great day! And enjoy the memories with your Dad! And Go Big Red!!

Thanks it's going to be a great time.