Opinions on Paul Johnson

Does he have experience with the spread offense? I think if he comes here, there may be a possibility we will go through another hellish growing pains of "getting" the players for his offense. I know you said he does what he has to do with what he has, but I just want someone who runs a solid offense and has the schemes to go against top caliber programs.

After watching the ND game, I saw some good things. He shows class, motivation, and seems to really care for his kids. The end of the game interview proved all of the above!

And he doesn't just run the option. He has at Navy because you have to be able to read to play football there, and he can't get the players. He has always run the offense that fits his players' skills best. That's what we need. We don't need a system, we need a damn coach.

Too bad most Nebraska boards right now are like Bo Pelini fan clubs. I like Bo Pelini as a candidate, but he's not our best option. I'm glad TO is making the decision and not my fellow fans. We'd have Bo up in Lincoln in time to hit the doorbuster sales on the day after Thanksgiving if that were the case.

In Tom we Trust

Does he have experience with the spread offense? I think if he comes here, there may be a possibility we will go through another hellish growing pains of "getting" the players for his offense. I know you said he does what he has to do with what he has, but I just want someone who runs a solid offense and has the schemes to go against top caliber programs.

After watching the ND game, I saw some good things. He shows class, motivation, and seems to really care for his kids. The end of the game interview proved all of the above!

Umm..im not sure exactly what it looked like but i know he ran a passing offense while at Hawaii. Im not sure if it was a spread or just a balanced attack. I know he took them to their first major bowl in like 89. And were ranked in the top 20 in 92 under johnson. With the talent we have (haha could have) at nebraska, he could have great success, with a spread-option attack.

Agreed. I've started to lean more towards Paul Johnson and away from Bo Pelini. Though I would love to see either here, Johnson is more proven as a head coach. Will Muschamp is another guy I have my eye on.

Yeah i would much rather have had Muschamp then pelini. I had a topic on here a few weeks ago about Will Muschamp and not a lot of people clinged on. He has just as much fire as pelini and took LSU to a national championship just as pelini might. (check out this link)

Will Muschamp - talk about fire

if he's that damn good why's he at the navy?

For the same reason TG is at Buffalo. It was his opportunity to "get his foot in the door".

now follow that up with, "what was Navy like before Johnson and what is it like now?"

the answer is for some 30 years Navy was b*tched-up by everyone. not as bad a Temple, but they seldom hit the .500 marker many years.

while johnson has been at Navy, they've had four winning season out of five. and right now they're shaping up to have winning season this year too.

when you keep that in mind and take into consideration that he's also won two D-II titles, i'd easily give the huskers over to johnson *way* before i'd trust them to pelini.

at least johnson has a record as a head coach.

For the same reason TG is at Buffalo. It was his opportunity to "get his foot in the door".

now follow that up with, "what was Navy like before Johnson and what is it like now?"

the answer is for some 30 years Navy was b*tched-up by everyone. not as bad a Temple, but they seldom hit the .500 marker many years.

while johnson has been at Navy, they've had four winning season out of five. and right now they're shaping up to have winning season this year too.

when you keep that in mind and take into consideration that he's also won two D-II titles, i'd easily give the huskers over to johnson *way* before i'd trust them to pelini.

hell if gill can get buffalo to a 5 win season that speaks volumes(hello 7 wins in 2 years at a school that won 10 games the previous...6 years?)

Count me in for Paul Johnson.

Still, one of the reasons his name keeps popping up is an adaptable offensive mind-set that has helped him succeed at every level at which he has coached -- from the rain-soaked front yards of his youth to the Division I-AA and I-A arenas of his adulthood.

"He's always been able to adjust to wherever he is ... and to whatever players he has," said Navy offensive line coach Ken Niumatalolo, who played quarterback at Hawaii in the late 1980s, when Johnson was an offensive coordinator there.

"He knows how to win."

Johnson's spread-option offense -- which he used to win two I-AA championships at Georgia Southern and to lead Navy to three consecutive bowl berths -- is a combination of run-and-shoot, option and play-action.

Some fans have been quick to label it a boring one-dimensional attack; after all, the Midshipmen have finished in the top three in the nation in rushing yards per game the past three years and currently rank second in the country, averaging 310.9 yards a game.

But using the same system at Hawaii from 1987-94, Johnson's offense broke or equaled more than 160 Rainbows records -- many via the air, when he had quarterbacks with the talent to pass.

"What's great about this offense is that you can emphasize whatever best fits your people," Johnson said. "... If you've got a great quarterback, of course you're going to throw; that's what you do to win. If your personnel is better rushing the ball; that's what you do, because that's what you do to win."

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/504983.html

PJ is a better choice than Pelini or Gill, IMHO.

when you keep that in mind and take into consideration that

he's also won two D-II titles,

i'd easily give the huskers over to johnson *way* before i'd trust them to pelini.

hell if gill can get buffalo to a 5 win season that speaks volumes(hello 7 wins in 2 years at a school that won 10 games the previous...6 years?)

just in case you missed that the first time around.

johnson has earned his spurs as an HC. turner is just starting out.

i'd easily give the huskers over to johnson *way* before i'd trust them to pelini.

oh i don't disagree, i think Johnson would be great as a head coach here. i just don't understand all the bogasms we have, i'm starting to feel dirty coming here.

if he wants to come here and coach i think that hes gonna have to almost pass as much as he wants to run the football...but i just dont think hes the man for the job now do i know who i want no im just so fed up with this season and all i want is for these kids to go out there and win thats all i want a WIN!!!

if he wants to come here and coach i think that hes gonna have to almost pass as much as he wants to run the football...but i just dont think hes the man for the job now do i know who i want no im just so fed up with this season and all i want is for these kids to go out there and win thats all i want a WIN!!!

punctuation is your friend.

... i'm just say...

I have said it before and I will say it again: If you had 100 Athletic directors together and they could choose between Johnson and Gill at least 95 would pick Johnson and most would not take 1/10 of a second to have to think about it. Between Johnson and Pelini, that one I am not as certain but I'd guess 90 go for Johnson.

There is no comparison here.