KSU and CU

HSKRNOKC

Iowa State beat the Buffies today 31-28!!!! They were down 21-0 at halftime and came

back and beat them. It won't be an easy game on Colorado's home field, but this shows

that they are beatable if ISU can beat them!!

Actually, the box score is wrong. The game was a tie, the refs just waved off overtime for... you know, no reason whatsoever. :angry:

And NO, I'm not going to let this one go. My Buffs got absolutely SCREWED out of bowl eligibility today, and I am PISSED.

You have a right to be, if it is how you called it (I didn't watch it, but I read your earlier post and it sounds very suspicious).

Anyway, nice to have a Buffs fan on the board as well. We have some nice KU, USC, and OU fans as well. Don't worry, we'll beat you in Boulder ;)

yep. beating CU would be a good end to a less than acceptable season.

don't know that 6-6 gets us a bowl bid after all, unless we showed the same improvement and smack down against CU.....that would be the only way for us to go post season.....another plus for the players and next year's new coach!

Beat CU and we are in a bowl, probably guaranteed.

The Big 12 has 8 spots for sure. We'll almost certainly get a 2nd BCS bowl, which makes 9. Keep in mind that you have to be in the top 14 (Hawaii or Boise needs to be in the top 16) and there are 10 teams in BCS bowls. We are hogging 4 of those 14 spots so unless there are upsets among those 4, 2 of them almost have to be in.

The North has 3 teams eligible for sure: MU, KU,and the CU/NU winner

KSU could be #4 but needs to beat MU or Fresno State for their 6th win.

The South has 4 teams eligile so far: OU, UT, TT, A&M. A&M has 6 wins and Texas left to play.

Okie State has 5 wins and is in with a win over Baylor (or KU or OU).

Iowa State, Baylor, and the CU/NU loser are out for sure.

That's 9 at most, so if the Big 12 gets two BCS bowls, or if KSU or OSU lose out, the CU/NU winner is guaranteed a spot.

And if 9 are qualified for only 8 spots, we're up against other 6-6 teams. While it's possible we'll be the only 6-6 (which leaves us out), it's more likely that some or all of A&M, KSU, and OSU are 6-6 with us. We'll be the only one of those on a 2 game winning streak. I like our chances over those, though we wouldn't deserve it over OSU.

Gotta gotta gotta take care of CU though.

Iowa State beat the Buffies today 31-28!!!! They were down 21-0 at halftime and came

back and beat them. It won't be an easy game on Colorado's home field, but this shows

Actually, the box score is wrong. The game was a tie, the refs just waved off overtime for... you know, no reason whatsoever. :angry:

And NO, I'm not going to let this one go. My Buffs got absolutely SCREWED out of bowl eligibility today, and I am PISSED.

OK, but you don't mind if we bring up the 5th down again then, do you? :lol:

I didn't see it, but it sounds screwy. It will be interesting to see what the conference officials have to say about it.

I didn't see it, but it sounds screwy. It will be interesting to see what the conference officials have to say about it.

At least the 5th down was the call made on the field. In this one the call made on the field was "field goal is good, let's go to overtime." Then they changed it to "nevermind, no field goal, no overtime".

That noise was then followed by a cartoonish scuttling noise as the refs ran off the field without talking to either of the coaches or using the technology on hand to review the play (had they done so, the field goal would have counted).

Or a national championship, as it was 1/1/91 when a ref called the phantom block in the back against ND that handed CU a share of the championship. So in one year, it take a 5th down AND a penalty call that really wasn't to get 1/2 a trophy to Boulder. Big F'n whoop

There was a clear clip on that play. I have the game on DVD, and I've watched it several times. The clip was completely obvious, though in truth the kid who was clipped probably wouldn't have tackled Rocket Ishmail, but from that position he could have tackled any other punt returner in the history of college football :) The call needed to be made.

2nd point: If the down marker had said 4th down instead of 3rd at Missouri, obviously Charles Johnson wouldn't have spiked the ball, they would have just run a play instead. Would CU have scored on that play? There's no way to know. Did CU benefit from the shoddy officiating? Absolutely. But would CU have lost the game had the refs called the down properly? Maybe, maybe not. With that offensive line and Eric Bienemy, the odds are probably in CU's favor on a 1.5 yard play.

Bear in mind, CU played the most difficult schedule in college football that year (one of the most difficult schedules of all time)... oh, and that 1/2 trophy would have been a full trophy had it not been for the treachery of Dr. Tom ;) And actually, back in those days there were 3 recognized polls, and CU was picked as NC in 2 of them. I'd prefer you call it a 2/3rd National Championship, thank you very much!

Hmmm. Interesting, since I just saw a breakdown of that very play today when they were saying goodbye to the Orange Bowl. The PROFESSIONAL analysts broke it down from every angle, and there was no "obvious" clip. You have the DVD? Tell me the exact time/location of the clip, the offending player's number, and on whom, and I'll check it out for myself. Otherwise, you are a lone voice whimpering amongst a sea of professional sports analysts who all say the same thing - no clip, Notre Dame wins.

Your second point just backed up my assertion that the officiating assisted you in that game. Your speculation about winning or losing is just that. You won, and you won because of that mistake. Period

You have one thing correct in your last paragraph - CU played the toughest schedule that year. That is the only thing you have right. One of the toughest schedules of all time? No way. Your opponent's .628 winning percentage that year is far overshadowed by no less than 29 other teams in the period 1977-1995, some with opponent's winning percentage well over .700. You aren't even in the ballpark for "all time".

Finally, I'm assuming that you are considering the CNN/USA Today poll as contributing to your 2/3 trophy (which I'm having a hard time figuring out why you are so proud of that accomplishment?)? Yes, they also selected CU as NC, but if you are going to go outside the true 2 NC selection polls, AP and UPI, then Miami was also the NC that year, since the NY Times selected them. I guess that takes back the 1/3 you added, so you are down from 1/2 to 1/3 now.

So like I said in my original post (now modified for the corrected amount of NC you own) - take your 1/3 NC trophy that you are so proud of (still can't get my mind around that one) and start climbing until you run out of air

We can get screwed 100 times but this will always be brought up, no big deal though, we should have never been in the posistion to let this happen, total coaching let down in the second half.

For Maryland guy, you can try an discredit our title all you want, but if you really look into that year let's disuss the your team's defensive collapse in the 4th Quarter where Bienemy dominated the game. The situation could have easily been dealt with right there but your school failed, don't try and hang your coat on some other school, take care of the business at hand.

For Maryland guy, you can try an discredit our title all you want, but if you really look into that year let's disuss the your team's defensive collapse in the 4th Quarter where Bienemy dominated the game. The situation could have easily been dealt with right there but your school failed, don't try and hang your coat on some other school, take care of the business at hand.

whoa there, partner. i never said anything about our performance (or lack thereof) that year, nor am I "hanging my coat" on some other school. We had the same situation (shared title due to an officiating blunder) in 1997, but my point is THAT ISN'T OUR ONLY title. Yours is, and it was based on not one, but TWO missteps by the zebras, and the other poster is defending that.

BTW, what is it exactly with all you Buffs over here on OUR board? gtfoslap.gif

We have Huskers on ours, I thought I would play the role as Goodwill Amabssador :)

Glad you're here. I would like to have members from all fan bases here. Then we'll all see how much most of us really have in common.

Every school has some jerks as fans. I've gone to games all over, and most fans are great. It revolves around a knowledge and love of the game.

:cheers