Stew Mandel's hiring advice for TO

From SI.com

LINK

76 points! This is ridiculous. Put on your thinking cap and tell me who the next coach of Nebraska is.

--Mike, Fargo, N.D.

The two most popular names in Lincoln right now are Turner Gill and Bo Pelini, both because of their coaching accomplishments (Gill is orchestrating an impressive turnaround in his second year at Buffalo; Pelini produces highly regarded defenses annually at LSU) and, just as importantly, because they "know" Nebraska (Gill was a former star quarterback and assistant there; Pelini was a highly successful defensive coordinator for one season under Frank Solich).

After such a negative experience with complete outsider Callahan, it's understandable why Nebraskans would clamor for one of their own this time. But with all due respect to Gill and Pelini -- neither of whom has been a head coach at the highest level -- quite frankly, Nebraska can do better. If I were Tom Osborne ... well, I'd be in the Hall of Fame, but that's another story ... I'd hire the best coach for the job, regardless of Nebraska ties. My choice: Cincinnati's Brian Kelly. He's an experienced head coach who's won everywhere he's been (national titles at Grand Valley State, a MAC title at Central Michigan, now leading a Big East title contender at Cincinnati), and his preferred style of offense -- the spread -- would be the most logical way to transition away from Callahan's disastrous West Coast experiment while running a system that fits the personnel on hand.

I don't think Nebraska needs to return to the days of the belly-option to be competitive; the spread is a sort of modern-day triple option in the way it can neutralize a more talented opponent, while the athletes Callahan already recruited at running back and receiver would benefit from the scheme greatly. In the meantime, of course, it's painfully evident that whoever the coach is needs to do some serious recruiting on the other side of the ball.

I have to wonder. Today on Jim Rome Lane Kiffin was on and when Rome asked him if Monte would take the NU job if it were offered Lane reponded by saying Monte would have said hell yes four years ago, and would probably still take it.

Just My opinion..But this makes me think Daddy and junior have been talking about it what to do......

Could the next staff be Monte Kiffin at the top, Lane running the offense ( I'd think he'd follow dad if here asked to)...then when Monte retired ina few years Lane takes over?

Dunno. Would be a pretty tasty scenario though.

Remember last time we got turned down by a few people. It may come down to Gill for just that reason. I doubt he says no to TO. It is fun to speculate over all these "hot candidates" but the reality is, not all would even consider NU, unfortunately.

Different situation all together. I don't think we have to speculate how inept SP was in that hiring process.

Remember last time we got turned down by a few people. It may come down to Gill for just that reason. I doubt he says no to TO. It is fun to speculate over all these "hot candidates" but the reality is, not all would even consider NU, unfortunately.

Saying no to TO not so easy , saying no to Stevie P probably alot more easy.

I have to agree. I think Pederson's being the AD had a lot to do with coaches turning down the job. My guess is the coaches had a pretty good idea of the type of person Pederson was and didn't want to work for him. With Osborne now the Interim AD, we could see coaches hoping they're hired as the new HC.

Saying no to TO not so easy , saying no to Stevie P probably alot more easy.

I have to agree. I think Pederson's being the AD had a lot to do with coaches turning down the job. My guess is the coaches had a pretty good idea of the type of person Pederson was and didn't want to work for him. With Osborne now the Interim AD, we could see coaches hoping they're hired as the new HC.

Stevie put all his eggs in one basket, Al Saunders. When Vermeil decided to stay another year with the Chiefs, Saunders did too. Then Pederson was left to find ANYONE, and was turned down by several until he latched his star to Callahan. This made Callahan about 5th choice.

Never liked either of these jackasses.