Requesting a history lesson

Correct me if I'm wrong but they got the blackshirts in 94?? maybe 93? I remember the Peter brothers doing it and Wistrom and Tomich, had to be that time frame.

Yes, I remember seeing this right around '94, and for sure in '95. Not before '93, though.

The only other Blackshirt gesture I remember was DT Derrie Nelson "rolling the dice" after a sack and CB Allen Lyday spinning the football on the ground after a pick or break-up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they got the blackshirts in 94?? maybe 93? I remember the Peter brothers doing it and Wistrom and Tomich, had to be that time frame.

Yes, I remember seeing this right around '94, and for sure in '95. Not before '93, though.

The only other Blackshirt gesture I remember was DT Derrie Nelson "rolling the dice" after a sack and CB Allen Lyday spinning the football on the ground after a pick or break-up.

No. The blackshirts were first given back in the 60's. I'd have to look up the coaches name, but Devaney sent one of his assistants to a local sporting good store in Lincoln because he wanted different color practice jerseys for the defense. If I'm not mistaken this happened in 1964.

Here is what I found about the origination of the 'Blackshirts':

The Husker defense is known by the nickname of the "Blackshirts." Depictions of the Blackshirts often include a skull and crossbones. This nickname originated in the early 1960s and continued as a reference to the black practice jerseys worn by first-string defensive players during practice. This tradition developed when Bob Devaney had Mike Corgan, one of his assistant coaches, find contrastive jerseys to offset the red jerseys worn by the offense in practice.[9] Further credit is given to George Kelly, Devaney's defensive line coach until 1968, who frequently referred to the top defensive unit by the name; eventually the rest of the coaching staff caught on, while the first mention of the Blackshirts in print was not until 1969.

I couldn't find anything about the 'throwing bones' gesture though. However, I'm leaning towards the Peters boys back in the 90's starting that gesture.

No. The blackshirts were first given back in the 60's. I'd have to look up the coaches name, but Devaney sent one of his assistants to a local sporting good store in Lincoln because he wanted different color practice jerseys for the defense. If I'm not mistaken this happened in 1964.

He's asking about throwing the bones, not when the Blackshirts were started.

i think it might have started with Broderick Thomas.

he used to say, "This is our House!!" and then he say, "you ain't comin in here for nothin'" and then he'd make an X with his arms.

this was probably around 86' or so. i think Wistrom and Peterbilt kind of took it from there.

I've been wondering, when did this "throwing bones" thing first show up within the Nebraska defense?

" :bonez "

There's got to be some sort of story behind this gesture.

I could be wrong but I believe the blackshirts and cross-bones started when Johnny Depp sailed the Black Pearl into Memorial Stadium in 1921 and made all his prisoners wear black sashes denoting that they were his "bi#ches". In the following years, every time he would sail into town, the football players would "throw the bones" at the top of the stadium to warn all of Lincoln that "Johnny Depp is coming!".

I've been wondering, when did this "throwing bones" thing first show up within the Nebraska defense?

" :bonez "

There's got to be some sort of story behind this gesture.

I could be wrong but I believe the blackshirts and cross-bones started when Johnny Depp sailed the Black Pearl into Memorial Stadium in 1921 and made all his prisoners wear black sashes denoting that they were his "bi#ches". In the following years, every time he would sail into town, the football players would "throw the bones" at the top of the stadium to warn all of Lincoln that "Johnny Depp is coming!".

Yeah, I think I remember reading that somewhere before. ;)