Should he stay or go

T.O. in my opinion has earned his elite coaching status. Now we will see what kind of administrator he is. I am not sure if BC would be willing to make the changes that might be required to keep his job. There have been some serious lapses in judgment in regards to which players or plays should be used and a stubbornness that is unprecedented when it comes to BC.

There is uniqueness about Nebraska and sometimes that works against us but it is what makes us the best program in the country. BC has treated this as a professional team and has alienated the fans with some of his comments, like “it is probably too technical for you”. That is a slap in the face to some of the most knowledgeable fans there is in college football.

I believe BC to be a good person and an offensive genius but he is dealing with young men that are still in need of mentoring and need fundamentals taught/coached to them. That is where T.O. was/is far superior. He understood that he had players that came from rough backgrounds and some that came from privileged backgrounds and was able to connect with either in his own way. Yes he had a few that turned out to be disappointments but NO ONE would be able to reach 100% of them or accuse him of not giving someone every chance possible to be the best they could be.

Tom had players that came from large successful high schools and small town teams that played 8 man football, and was able to get these kids to play with an intensity that this team has missed since BC took over. A college coach in my opinion has to wear many hats and some of them are mentor, friend, disciplinarian, coach, counselor, and motivator. He has to wear those different hats sometimes in multiple circumstances in a matter of hours. That is where he could have used T.O. as a spring board and received some help from one of the few men that KNOW what it takes to coach at a large university and the values we as fans expect. I feel that BC failed in that regard unless he was instructed by his boss to completely distance himself from the past.

Is T.O. a god, that is a question that each person must decide if they elevate him to that status or not. I do believe that he is one of the greatest coaches and men of all time when it comes to getting the most out of the people in his charge.

Can or will BC keep his job, I really doubt it. Each person will have their own opinion as to what should happen and T.O. will not make everyone happy, but he also will not make a decision without thinking it through and looking at the entire situation. He will make his decision on what he feels is best for everyone involved, but mostly what is best for the program and the players as people.

Of course this is only my opinion for what its worth.

GBR

I know TO has much more integrity than BC and is saying that he'll wait till the end of the season to make a decision on him, but I have to believe that BC has about as much chance of being our coach next year as Joe Ganz had of being named the starting QB at the beginning of the season. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion.

3 weeks ago I would have said keep BC and revamp the staff. But I no longer feel that way.

The man has proved that he can recruit, but he also has proved his unwillingness to bend.

To come in here in 04 with players designed for one system and insist they learn his system instead of

doing what best serves the team was just the first glimpse we had at his arrogance. At any level a good coach will play to his teams strengths, instead of his philosphy.

Second, contrary to his statements today I don't believe he can develop players. Fours years later the offense continually makes the same mistakes they did four years ago. And sense he is not responsible for the "D" according to him, we won't even go there.

I thought his playcalling would get better with more experience in the college game, which differs so much from the NFL game, but we haven't seen that.

He is arrogant, pompous, rude, disrespectful and could care less about this program.

I could go on and on as to why I don't like him.

I can't think of any reasons to keep this guy, but there is a 110% chance that TO will not call me for advice so my 2 cents don't really matter, except to bore my wife.

I believe BC to be a good person and an offensive genius

You had me until you called BC a genius. I mean..... can you ....does anyone else feel the earth shaking......can you feel.......BOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Yes I thought about changing that after I typed it but I feel that he would make a great OC so I left it the way it was. Genius was probably giving to much credit. He does come up with some awsome plays that if they would have coached better technique probably would work a lot better and more frequently.

BC's lack of character in certain situations, arrogance, and unwillingness to take any of the blame (see discussion below), and the comments of his agent (who REPRESENTS him) have really turned me off to him. I would have a hard time cheering for him in any format in the future. I would, however, always cheer for the kids that put on the Husker Red.

Lack of character - F'in hillbillies & throat slash specifically. These are things I was trying to over look in the past, but really stand out now after how he has handled the entire situation of the pressure we fans have put on him. What did he think, we'd just be like "oh, a losing season every three years is ok with us, because you're obviously a genius Bill".

Arrogance - read the lastest journalstar article about Ganz's last game. nuff said.

Unwillingess to take the blame - oh yes, he started every interview with it stops with me. But it was obviously just fodder for the masses, because after that, it was all about execution, all about missed tackles or blocks, it was NEVER about adjustments the coaching staff needed to make it was ALWAYS about what the players did wrong.

After all of this, I really just can't stand him in general - it has nothing to do with coaching.

The man has proved that he can recruit...

I hate to throw a wrench in the one positive thing you said, but what is recruiting if you can't get the players to play for you. With that said, I don't think he's been the main recruiter behind these classes. Guys like Blake, Norvell, Watson and Bush get the majority of the credit.

Not to mention, has he recruited any defensive players? Becasue Solich's last team had eons more talent on the defensive side of the ball than this team [williams, johnson, washington, bullocks, bullocks, bingham].

Although recently he has proven he knows exactly what his recruiting class is ranked by Rivals:

[loose translation]:

"you know it's flusterating, putting together a top-seven ranked class, a lot of hard work goes into that. I have alot of respect for our coaches, and all the hard work they've put in, in every respect, putting together that top-seven class."

-- Bill Callahan, at two seperate press conferences this season.

The man has proved that he can recruit...

I hate to throw a wrench in the one positive thing you said, but what is recruiting if you can't get the players to play for you. With that said, I don't think he's been the main recruiter behind these classes. Guys like Blake, Norvell, Watson and Bush get the majority of the credit.

Not to mention, has he recruited any defensive players? Becasue Solich's last team had eons more talent on the defensive side of the ball than this team [williams, johnson, washington, bullocks, bullocks, bingham].

Although recently he has proven he knows exactly what his recruiting class is ranked by Rivals:

[loose translation]:

"you know it's flusterating, putting together a top-seven ranked class, a lot of hard work goes into that. I have alot of respect for our coaches, and all the hard work they've put in, in every respect, putting together that top-seven class."

-- Bill Callahan, at two seperate press conferences this season.

That is pretty funny to me, cause TO basically said that stars don't mean anything. I think I'll go with the guy with three national champions. I'm not saying the 5 star atheletes aren't good to have - but if they aren't taught the right things, put in the right schemes, and willing to give the effort necessary - they might as well be 1 stars.

The actions that have occured over the past season have really hurt my opinion of Callahan. I was the one at the beginning of the season and over the first 3 was saying give him a chance, let him get his players in there and lets see what he can do. Obviously something went terribly wrong as in my opinion, the talent was there, but its painfully obvious that the coaching is not. Callahan should have taken some leadership and done what was right for the team in cutting Cosgrove loose, all that man has done is ruined the blackshirt tradition. Along with how he actually coaches, the guy is a standup a-hole, and so is his agent. His actions off the field speak louder than anything and it is for that reason, why I think the :asshat needs to go away for good.

Callahan isn't Husker material. He doesn't fit. You probably knew that when he was hired but said to yourself, let's give this guy a chance.

He's had his chance and shown himself to be narrow minded, self centered and inflexible. I think most fans don't think of Callahan when one mentions integrity and honesty either.

I think T.O. has known this from the day Callahan was hired and sees how Callahan doesn't fit into the Husker mind set. We just can't relate to this guy and he can't relate to us. If the team was progressing we could probably accept the relationship problems but now that a ton of bad records have been broken by this team the other problems with Callahan have surfaced and added further irritation to a bad season.

Like a hundred others here have said, "Sorry, Bill, it just didn't work out. You've tried your best but it wasn't to be. We don't think you can make it work in the next two years as you think it will and you've managed to alienate the fans, the boosters and many of the players. It's time to move on and make a HC change."

Callahan isn't Husker material. He doesn't fit. You probably knew that when he was hired but said to yourself, let's give this guy a chance.

He's had his chance and shown himself to be narrow minded, self centered and inflexible. I think most fans don't think of Callahan when one mentions integrity and honesty either.

I think T.O. has known this from the day Callahan was hired and sees how Callahan doesn't fit into the Husker mind set. We just can't relate to this guy and he can't relate to us. If the team was progressing we could probably accept the relationship problems but now that a ton of bad records have been broken by this team the other problems with Callahan have surfaced and added further irritation to a bad season.

Like a hundred others here have said, "Sorry, Bill, it just didn't work out. You've tried your best but it wasn't to be. We don't think you can make it work in the next two years as you think it will and you've managed to alienate the fans, the boosters and many of the players. It's time to move on and make a HC change."

Knowing Dr. Tom as well as I do from watching and listening to him through the years I two do not feel he has made the decision to fire or keep Callahan as of yet. I would put the odds close to 50-50 right now.

As for Toms recruiting yes he didn't always go for the 5 star but it wasn't because he didn't try for them. Names that come to mind Grant Winstrom, Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Nate Turner and the names of those he missed most of which I can't recall recall the names of ; OU QB the year we got Gill and then turned him down since we were only going to take 1 QB that year and then he went on to lead OU to the NC as a Freshman when Aikman went down, Emmitt Smith who played a recruiting game with us, the California QB who wanted to come here but his mom wouldn't sign the papers.

I think Tom geniuse was in recruiting players with potential and low stars though. The Steinkhulers, Neil Smith, Trev Alberts, Rathman, half the pipeline thru the years, etc.

As for Coaching you don't score 70 points on any Div. 1 team without having some good athletes and being able to Coach. Football is an emotional sport. If you don't have it you cannot perform to the best of your ability. If you have it you can play above your ability.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

the simple fact that bc basically dismantled the walk on program showed that he just doesn't get it. What is the definition of a walk on? "A young man who who wants to play football at Nebraska and will give his all to suceed in his goal to do so. He could have got a scolarship to some other school but his desire the play for the Big Red is all encompassing. His attitude, desire, passion and loyalty to the Huskers is priceless and infecutious (sp)." To not recognize the value of this prograqm is enough reason by itself to justify getting rid of Callihan.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez