Conditioning and training

This question is definitely fodder for the "rumorville" category. I live in Denver, and sources close to me tell me that the guys are not practicing in full pads and they haven't done any squats or leg presses since before the start of the season because Bill Cal thinks it leads to groin injuries. My sources tell me that these are unsubstantiated allegations, just wondering if any other Husker fans in Lincoln or surrounding areas have heard the same things???

This question is definitely fodder for the "rumorville" category. I live in Denver, and sources close to me tell me that the guys are not practicing in full pads and they haven't done any squats or leg presses since before the start of the season because Bill Cal thinks it leads to groin injuries. My sources tell me that these are unsubstantiated allegations, just wondering if any other Husker fans in Lincoln or surrounding areas have heard the same things???

Actually after the USC game it was reported by a couple newspaper's that the guys were never in full pads. They were always in half pads. It wasn't until that was made public that they started to wear full pads at least 1 day a week. It might be more now. I have no clue. As for not doing squat's etc, I have no clue.

I had heard this as well. And from the way the D was playing, tended to believe it.

Heres hoping a new coach will mean a real defense.

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

I did hear about practicing half rack all week and Callahan's excuse for this was "that how we did it in the NFL".....not surprising. I didnt hear anything about the squats, but i did hear that they completely change our workout method. I think it was something along the lines of they were gonna go for more strength training instead of speed. I think i heard they really didnt even do much running over the summer and jsut lifted weights. This would make sense considering the players we have seen gain a lot of muscle but no speed, or actually lose speed. Barry Turner comes to mind immediately, he was a pure speed rusher his freshmen year and now seems to have lost a step or two.

I did hear about practicing half rack all week and Callahan's excuse for this was "that how we did it in the NFL".....not surprising. I didnt hear anything about the squats, but i did hear that they completely change our workout method. I think it was something along the lines of they were gonna go for more strength training instead of speed. I think i heard they really didnt even do much running over the summer and jsut lifted weights. This would make sense considering the players we have seen gain a lot of muscle but no speed, or actually lose speed. Barry Turner comes to mind immediately, he was a pure speed rusher his freshmen year and now seems to have lost a step or two.

Pierre Allen is another one not adjusting to the extra weight.

I know Callahan has an NFL mentality but do they really do things this half-assed in the NFL?

Guys at the college-level still have to hit and work technique a couple times a week. Guys at the NFL-level are more finished-products so you can focus more on keeping them healthy.

The "bulking-up" deal screams old Big10. They need to recognize the importance of being able to fly to the ball.

I know Callahan has an NFL mentality but do they really do things this half-assed in the NFL?

I heard Jason Peters saying something along the lines of that he was very surprised by the lack of work that the team did during practice when he was with the Carolina Panthers, and i am sure it is the same all over the NFL.