Recruiting note

Stars are nice, but I really don't think it automatically translates to college performance as you are pointing out.

Yeah...When I was reading Gaz's profile, I was thinking about how worried everybody was about losing Blaine Gabbert. Somehow that doesn't seem like that big a deal anymore.

Well, I still think that's a big deal because really as a coach I think you want to go after guys that are top on list. Obviously Gabbert was pretty high on that list. Now NU is going to have to go after a guy they probably would have never offered otherwise.

He might end up being great, who knows. I know Gabbert might not have been great either.

Stars are nice, but I really don't think it automatically translates to college performance as you are pointing out.

Yeah...When I was reading Gaz's profile, I was thinking about how worried everybody was about losing Blaine Gabbert. Somehow that doesn't seem like that big a deal anymore.

Joe is playing lights out now but Blaine Gabbert is something special. That is 2 top qbs gone. Josh Freeman now Gabbert, are the coachs really that good at recruiting?

Joe is playing lights out now but Blaine Gabbert is something special. That is 2 top qbs gone. Josh Freeman now Gabbert, are the coachs really that good at recruiting?

Yes, I think they are. I can't really compare Freeman to Gabbert. Gabbert actually has a good reason to look elsewhere IMO.

Well, I still think that's a big deal because really as a coach I think you want to go after guys that are top on list. Obviously Gabbert was pretty high on that list. Now NU is going to have to go after a guy they probably would have never offered otherwise.

He might end up being great, who knows. I know Gabbert might not have been great either.

I think Terrelle Pryor had us on his list at one time. He still hasn't signed with anybody. Neither has MarQuies Gray. Maybe we ought to take a shot at one of those guys....

I think Terrelle Pryor had us on his list at one time. He still hasn't signed with anybody. Neither has MarQuies Gray. Maybe we ought to take a shot at one of those guys....

We could and we would if the coaches thought they would fit with what they are trying to do. They must not as neither have an NU offer AFAIK.

Recruiting is always an interesting topic to consider. We have all seen 5 star players come to college teams and flop. We have seen 2 star players come and explode into great players. I think the big factor is the situation they are in. Obviously these people have athletic ability...otherwise they would not be getting scholarship offers from DIV I schools. Its how the are developed and how they personally choose push themselves. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. I think we can all look though at past Nebraska teams and see many walk on players who made the most of their time and became amazing athletes. With all due respect to Nebraska High School football, we are not exactly a breeding ground for 5 star recruits. However, we have had some amazing college football players who put in the time and came out on top.

You have to have something to go by, and the coaches don't have the time to sit and watch all the film, if any, on these guys. Another thing that can impact a rating is the competition...if there is good competition, you get a pretty good feel that the rating is a good one, if the competition sucked, you are taking a crap shoot...you just don't know how he will do against better competition.

There is also the ability to adjust to college ball from HS ball....it is a lot faster in college. A lot of kids can't make the transition. Then if you take a kid from a small HS and stick him into the big city, big college atmosphere...you don't know where they will go with their heads. There have been a lot of kids come into Nebraska that got to Lincoln and just lost it...they couldn't handle the attention level and get into trouble. Nebraska has done a great job of graduating these kids, I think the coaches and the staff made getting the degree one of the priorities, which some colleges don't.

The ratings can't tell you everything....but they are a start. There are a lot more factors that go into being a good college level player than just speed, strength, and agility.

Actually, we only lost Gabbert because the coaches are leaving. If Callahan and co. were staying, we'd still have Gabbert.

gabbert has wonderful potential and he'll be a good QB under pinkle. personally, i'm not impressed with pinkle as a coach and the only reason either kansas and missouri can lay claim to the big xii north is because nebraska lost their heart and fire this year.

i'm dead serious. if the nebraska team that showed-up last saturday had played all year, we probably would not be speaking of callahan in the past tense.

but that boat has sailed. can't do anything about what has been done. we can only look to the future now.

hopefully, gabbert won't take it too personally when the huskers beats missouri unmercifully in the years to come.

the huskers *will* be back. the order *will* be restored. and the injusticies that have been visited upon huskernation *WILL* be avenged.

doctor tom wouldn't have it any other way.

gabbert has wonderful potential and he'll be a good QB under pinkle. personally, i'm not impressed with pinkle as a coach and the only reason either kansas and missouri can lay claim to the big xii north is because nebraska lost their heart and fire this year.

i'm dead serious. if the nebraska team that showed-up last saturday had played all year, we probably would not be speaking of callahan in the past tense.

but that boat has sailed. can't do anything about what has been done. we can only look to the future now.

hopefully, gabbert won't take it too personally when the huskers beats missouri unmercifully in the years to come.

the huskers *will* be back. the order *will* be restored. and the injusticies that have been visited upon huskernation *WILL* be avenged.

doctor tom wouldn't have it any other way.

:bonez:bonez