Monday's Press Conf.

T_O_Bull

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

When coaches and players begin to talk about a football program as a business and about the way the team plays as the product they put on the field I begin to see why this team has at times been so lackluster. Yes when you strip everything away it is a business and the play on the field is the product of that business but to think of it in this way does a great dis-service to the program, the team and the fans. How many of you think of the Husker Football Program as a business? How many think of the Husker Team as a product? For me Husker Football (All college football for that matter) is about so much more. Its Lincoln filling up with fans of all ages on the Friday night before a game. Its the pep band playing fight songs in a jam packed Misty's the night before a game. Its parking lots filled with tailgaiters playing games, passing a football around, eating brats and chips and just generally having a great time. Its about the feeling you get in your stomach when the Tunnel Walk begins to play and 80,000 Red clad fans rise and begin to clap in unison and then begin to cheer, "GO BIG RED." Husker Football is about emotion, passion, tradition and the history of a glorious program that burns Red hot in the hearts hundreds of thousands of fans who are Husker Nation. To speak of this wonderful thing that we have in terms of "business" and "product" only emphsizes the fact that these coaches and to some extent this team just doesn't get it.

...T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

When coaches and players begin to talk about a football program as a business and about the way the team plays as the product they put on the field I begin to see why this team has at times been so lackluster. Yes when you strip everything away it is a business and the play on the field is the product of that business but to think of it in this way does a great dis-service to the program, the team and the fans. How many of you think of the Husker Football Program as a business? How many think of the Husker Team as a product? For me Husker Football (All college football for that matter) is about so much more. Its Lincoln filling up with fans of all ages on the Friday night before a game. Its the pep band playing fight songs in a jam packed Misty's the night before a game. Its parking lots filled with tailgaiters playing games, passing a football around, eating brats and chips and just generally having a great time. Its about the feeling you get in your stomach when the Tunnel Walk begins to play and 80,000 Red clad fans rise and begin to clap in unison and then begin to cheer, "GO BIG RED." Husker Football is about emotion, passion, tradition and the history of a glorious program that burns Red hot in the hearts hundreds of thousands of fans who are Husker Nation. To speak of this wonderful thing that we have in terms of "business" and "product" only emphsizes the fact that these coaches and to some extent this team just doesn't get it.

...T_O_B

Yes and that is all the more reason to get rid of callahan so nebraska football can be about football again. Whatever players are saying this need to quit playing then especially being at nebraska.

While I generally agree, this "business" aspect of things is something that is slowly permeating throughout college football. You can't necessarily blame Callahan for that mentality though he's one of the very coaches who has openly said it's a "business". Instead you can blame the media, sponsors and to some degree, Athletic Directors for this business mentality because to them, money is the end all-cure all. Money is all that matters to them and the copious amounts of worthless bowl games can be viewed as proof of that along with some teams acquiring sponsors (read: Oregon)

IMO

...T_O_B

all the above things are a by product, we as fans, love about this business. for the university and business community, it is a business.

Its about the feeling you get in your stomach when the Tunnel Walk begins to play and 80,000 Red clad fans rise and begin to clap in unison and then begin to cheer, "GO BIG RED."

Anyone else get goosebumps? I did. There is no feeling like gameday in Lincoln. Also, when you hear the pregame prayer....wow. Let's get this back!

Go Big Red!!!!

At its roots, it is a sport, a game, not a business. As it is played on the field, it is a game, and not a business.

That there are those those who profit from the marketing of that game, does not make the game a business. That there are people willing to pay large sums of money to see and support that game, does not make the game a business. That there are those who make millions selling equipment to get ready for the game, does not make the game a business. That there are those who make millions to play or coach the game, does not make the game a business. What is a business is gaining profit from the game and the only thing wrong with that is that business sometimes tries to control the game, i.e. gambling, i.e TV timeouts, etc. But the game itself is not a business.

The game is about working together as a group to overcome the best efforts of the opposition. It is competition just to see who wins. Pure and simple. It is not earth shattering. It is not even very important in the great scheme of things.

But, it is football, the greatest of all sports. It is a game, THE game in my opinion. To those of you who don't understand that, well, I feel sorry for you.

Its about the feeling you get in your stomach when the Tunnel Walk begins to play and 80,000 Red clad fans rise and begin to clap in unison and then begin to cheer, "GO BIG RED."

Anyone else get goosebumps? I did. There is no feeling like gameday in Lincoln. Also, when you hear the pregame prayer....wow. Let's get this back!

Go Big Red!!!!

I flew back to Nebraska and attended the KSU game. My daughter and I actually go into the tunnel to watch first hand the tunnel walk. It was unbelievable. I took pictures of my daughter with Herbie and Lil Red. (btw my dog is registered with the name Herbie Husker) :thumbs Also took pics of the team coming down the tunnel, the seniors running out on the field individually, and the team running out from behind them. It was great. You asked if anyone else gets goosebumps, Hell yea!

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

:hellloooo:hellloooo:hellloooo:hellloooo

:woo:woo:woo:woo

At its roots, it is a sport, a game, not a business. As it is played on the field, it is a game, and not a business.

That there are those those who profit from the marketing of that game, does not make the game a business. That there are people willing to pay large sums of money to see and support that game, does not make the game a business. That there are those who make millions selling equipment to get ready for the game, does not make the game a business. That there are those who make millions to play or coach the game, does not make the game a business. What is a business is gaining profit from the game and the only thing wrong with that is that business sometimes tries to control the game, i.e. gambling, i.e TV timeouts, etc. But the game itself is not a business.

The game is about working together as a group to overcome the best efforts of the opposition. It is competition just to see who wins. Pure and simple. It is not earth shattering. It is not even very important in the great scheme of things.

But, it is football, the greatest of all sports. It is a game, THE game in my opinion. To those of you who don't understand that, well, I feel sorry for you.

well, be sure to tell the University, this is not a business. tell them bowl proceeds and payouts do not help pay salaries and support other sports at the University, as a business. the last time i checked the University WAS NOT a charitable organization. we as fans are passionate about our team, but football and revenue is part of the "business" of paying bills and funding the University, which like it or not, is run and managed as a BUSINESS.

well, be sure to tell the University, this is not a business. tell them bowl proceeds and payouts do not help pay salaries and support other sports at the University, as a business. the last time i checked the University WAS NOT a charitable organization. we as fans are passionate about our team, but football and revenue is part of the "business" of paying bills and funding the University, which like it or not, is run and managed as a BUSINESS.

You are one of the those I feel sorry for.

You are one of the those I feel sorry for.

you don't get it suze.

With all respect, I think I've put it in the proper perspective:

http://www.jim-rose.com/2007/11/callahans-...eam-speaks.html

Rose is right. again, to us fans it is much more about tradition, the walk on program, home town kids and kids that bleed to play for this program....i agree, i understand it and love it.

at the same time, like it or not the college sport of football has become hugely competitive, from recruiting to huge salaries paid to ex NFL coaches, thus this has become a big business, like it or not, that is exactly what it has become. to think otherwise is to live in a fantasy world.

to stay competitive and move the program forward it has to stay profitable (generate revenue from TV coverage, bowl appearances, etc.) as does every business. the boosters alone cannot keep this business afloat, it is NOT a charitable organization. to compete with the ND and USC of the college football world we better damn sure treat the sport of college football as a business and support it as such.

Rose is right. again, to us fans it is much more about tradition, the walk on program, home town kids and kids that bleed to play for this program....i agree, i understand it and love it.

at the same time, like it or not the college sport of football has become hugely competitive, from recruiting to huge salaries paid to ex NFL coaches, thus this has become a big business, like it or not, that is exactly what it has become. to think otherwise is to live in a fantasy world.

to stay competitive and move the program forward it has to stay profitable (generate revenue from TV coverage, bowl appearances, etc.) as does every business. the boosters alone cannot keep this business afloat, it is NOT a charitable organization. to compete with the ND and USC of the college football world we better damn sure treat the sport of college football as a business and support it as such.

:yeah:yeah

I agree.

To the University, it's a business and the coach needs to understand that.

BUT to the players, the coach needs to inspire them enough to play their best. I think it was very inapprorirate of Callahan to discuss the business part with the players. They are young adults and I'm not saying they shouldn't get the part about it being a business:

I guess my point is the players need to be inspired by the coach to get the best out of them.

Until last week, that hadn't happened this year.