Turner Leaving

Whoever picked Turner Gill in that poll was right then. Any word on why? I imagine he would like to head coach somewhere. Although I am sure some will say "EVIL BILL RODE HIM OUT OF TOWN OMG!!!!1111!one!!!".  :wacko:

Evil Bill rode him out of town! :)

hahahaha. Someone had to do it :)

I never figured out why he was the receivers' coach anyway. Now if we can just get rid of Cosgrove!! :bat

I wondered for a while to, but newearthhusker told me he had been recievers coach at North Texas and one other school I believe.

Who will Callahan look for to replace him?

This is a shame. he wsa a very important part of the fabric of NU history. jus wonder what really drove him out?? i know noone wants anyone to say its stevie but seriously, he had to have been frustrated with everyhing last yr more than this yr even, so why now? maybe he has somethin lined up, or maybe he is still insulted that he got relegated to coaching WRs, and I dont blame him.

This is a shame. he wsa a very important part of the fabric of NU history. jus wonder what really drove him out?? i know noone wants anyone to say its stevie but seriously, he had to have been frustrated with everyhing last yr more than this yr even, so why now? maybe he has somethin lined up, or maybe he is still insulted that he got relegated to coaching WRs, and I dont blame him.

It's easy to think that. However, he has always wanted to be a head coach. Maybe with all the openings he thinks this is the right time to move on. He was heavily encoraged to stay by Callahan, but I guess his mind was made up. In any event, I hope he does well somewhere.

found this article on rivals.com

December 3, 2004

Gill leaves NU as final chapter of Husker era

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean Callahan

HuskersIllustrated.com Publisher   

Many considered Turner Gill the final pieces of Nebraska football tradition left in the program.

Turner Gill resigned at 3 p.m. on Friday.

However, on Friday this piece of tradition is now gone. In emotional scene inside South Stadium, Gill announced his resignation to the Husker nation.

“Today I come before you because I have chosen to resign from my position at the University of Nebraska,” Gill said. “I have been called to take a leap of faith and I plan to pursue full time career goal of being a head football coach.

“For the past few years I have been working on my vision and what I believe coaching should be about and where I believe our responsibility and passion should lie. I’ve always remained true to my vision and it is now time that I give it wings and see where it takes me.”

Gill’s announcement comes somewhat by surprise, considering the fact Callahan said following last weeks 26-20 loss to Colorado that there would no staff changes.

Callahan said he tried to convince Gill to stay on, but he understands why Gill wants to move on.

“I was very disappointed because I think a great deal of Turner and his family,” Callahan said. “I was hopeful that he could reflect on his decision when we had talked on Saturday.

Bill Callahan said he tried to convince Gill to stay.

“He’s very adamant and expressed to me that this wasn’t just one year and this has been several years in the making as he had expressed today. Again, I wish him the best of luck and we all do as a staff and an athletic department.”

Callahan said at this point there is no timetable set on when Gill’s replacement will be hired.

“There is no timetable on that at all and this is Turner’s day,” Callahan said. “This is not about anyone else or about any position at this current time. This is Turner’s day and with all due respect, I want to leave it at that.”

Gill leaves Nebraska after 13 seasons serving both as a quarterbacks coach and wide receivers coach.

During his time in Lincoln, Gill has helped develop the skills of some of the finest quarterbacks in Husker history, including 2001 Heisman Trophy and Davey O’Brien Award winner Eric Crouch and 1995 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award winner Tommie Frazier.

Frazier led the Huskers to two national championships with Gill on the sideline, while another star, NU quarterback Scott Frost, added a third national title.

Gill also saw great success on the field as a player.

Nebraska’s starting quarterback from 1981 to 1983, Gill led one of the most explosive offensive attacks in college football history, as NU averaged 546.7 yards of total offense and 52.0 points per game in 1983.

Link

That's the smartest thing anyone has done in Lincoln this year

To quit when something does go well is the best thing to do. Wow bud, your life must be filled with great things then.

I don't think he meant quit when something isn't going well, I think he meant leave because his dream has been head coach since he got into coaching and he thought that was here. He was promoted to Assistant head coach last year under Frank Solich which basically means after Frank retires that he will be the next head coach. It also means that if Frank gets fired,hurt,sick,or dies that he would take over in most cases. However, I beautiful A.D. names the defensive coordinator interim head coach and not the assistant head coach turner gill. Then He doesn't even get a look at the head coaching job but is asked to be demoted to WR coach. He takes it because there isn't any other jobs open but knows he will never be the head coach with callahan and staff here and most importantly an A.D. who doesn't believe in him or his system. That is why he is smart.