Reality check for Bo fans

An excerpt from Stewart Mandel's mailbag on SI.com:

If in fact Les Miles does bolt for Michigan, Bo Pelini is the one of the favorites to replace Miles at LSU. If it comes down to Nebraska and LSU offering their top spot to Pelini, which one do you think he would choose?

--Al, Lincoln, Neb.

I would be highly surprised if it comes down to that. I know Pelini remains a popular figure at both places, but we're still talking about someone who's been a career assistant to this point (with the exception of one bowl game as interim coach at Nebraska). While Pelini is highly respected in the coaching community, there must be reason why he's not yet been a serious contender for any head-coaching job (too "rough around the edges," is the vague critique I've heard most often), so it seems unlikely that two of the most prestigious programs in the country would suddenly come calling.

Of the two, the LSU possibility seems more realistic. The way that program is rolling right now, I could understand AD Skip Bertman not wanting to "start over" with a new regime for what would be the second time in three years. Pelini would be the most viable in-house candidate. While I have no insight into Tom Osborne's current thought process, my guess is Nebraska will be seeking someone with head-coaching experience.

If the Huskers do offer Pelini, and if Miles bolts around the same time, and if LSU offers him its job as well ... with all due respect to Al and his people, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Ready-made national title contender or massive rebuilding job? Unless Pelini has had some bad experience in Baton Rouge (maybe he doesn't like gumbo), or unless Nebraska offers significantly more money, I can't imagine him passing up the opportunity to take over the Tigers.

Bo is not the highly regarding head coaching candidate that some Husker fans think he is. I would be surprised if he was offered one of these two jobs, let alone both of them.

Mandel needs to read tigerdroppings.com cuz word on the street over there is, they won't lose any sleep if Pelini leaves and they definitely won't lose any sleep when/if he's not named HC.

And according to the LSU message board, Bertman is a lame-duck AD right now who may not have any choice in who is hired.

:yeah

Yeah....a real good point is that he has been a career assistant coach...no matter who it is that comes in, everything won't be fixed overnight. Wonder if Husker fans can handle that one?

The one thing we can't do is be running another coach off in 4 years...otherwise it is going to get tough getting anyone to come into Nebraska since it will be viewed as a job with no security.

Mandel needs to read tigerdroppings.com cuz word on the street over there is, they won't lose any sleep if Pelini leaves and they definitely won't lose any sleep when/if he's not named HC.

And according to the LSU message board, Bertman is a lame-duck AD right now who may not have any choice in who is hired.

If you haven't noticed, LSU fans are some of the cockiest and self-absorbed fans out there. It's almost to the point there are ranking up there with Notre Dame fans.

If you haven't noticed, LSU fans are some of the cockiest and self-absorbed fans out there. It's almost to the point there are ranking up there with Notre Dame fans.

I noticed that right off the bat. They seem to have this sense of entitlement after just a few short years of dominance.

I noticed that right off the bat. They seem to have this sense of entitlement after just a few short years of dominance.

Look up! didn't I just say that..... <_< J/K :rollin

Look up! didn't I just say that..... <_< J/K :rollin

Smart ass :lol::lol: