Bill Callahan

np_husker

The OWH article is a good article and I think it shows people that no matter what happens the coaches are still human and I think some folks forget that.

As far as the Raiders article, Woodson is a joker and his word carries NO weight what so ever. He wasn't complaining the year before when they were in the Super Bowl. Also that whole situation was a mess because most of those players were making 2-3 times as much as Callahan so there is no way once the losing started they were going to listen to him. Woodson got made because he broke the rules and unlike a lot of coaches Callahan punished him. You aren't supposed to do that to the "Superstars".

There are many comments in multiple threads saying how BC has "lost this team" and how he "has lost every team every year" "has no respect from them at all" "the players hate him" stuff like that. Not sure how people are drawing those conclusions.

I hope people have read the multiple articles with interviews with Keller, Ganz, Purify, Lucky, Zac Taylor, and other players. They have nothing but respect for that guy.

Are we basing our opinions just because they have a losing record?

Sounds like it to me.

He was ok last season when he won the B12 north.

Now, he's a ______________________ who doesn't know __________

about _________________. (insert favorite negative comments)

Lots of things are different this season....

different players especially on defense, tougher schedule, different team chemistry and now two different QBs.

what isn't different--

Same Cally... same cos .... pretty much the same staff ....

BEAT CU!!

As far as the Raiders article, Woodson is a joker and his word carries NO weight what so ever. He wasn't complaining the year before when they were in the Super Bowl. Also that whole situation was a mess because most of those players were making 2-3 times as much as Callahan so there is no way once the losing started they were going to listen to him. Woodson got made because he broke the rules and unlike a lot of coaches Callahan punished him. You aren't supposed to do that to the "Superstars".

:yeah

Callahan is just not a Nebraskan...and could never fit in here. He needs to go on with his life...on one of the coasts where he belongs. His attitude towards the common Nebraskan sucks. He has his nose so far in the air that if we get a good rain storm the poor man will drown.

Off with you, BC...we are done with you.

What evidence do you have that he is conceited? Or is that just what you say about anyone who once lived in California that you don't like for one reason or another? And as far as him belonging on one of the coasts, you do know that he grew up on the south side of Chicago, yes? South side Chicago back then was about as working class and pragmatic as it gets.

The facts are this: If the Huskers were 13-0 or even 10-3 under Callahan this year we would be singing his praises instead of crabbing about him. So the reality is that he simply wasn't a good fit for Nebraska. He had no malicious 'agenda' to come to NU and destroy the program. He simply didn't fit.

Nuff said,

GBR!!

I can agree with that. If he had realized earlier that changes needed to happen then our record probably would not be as bad as it is. The changes he made may have been ok, but he needed to make his changes sooner, and more extensively. Because he would not do that, and does not seem to realize that those changes should have been made, is the reason he needs to go.

:restore

Here's the thing, despite some of the stupid things Callahan has said, I like him. If he extended me the invitation to break bread with his family, I would gladly accept and expect nothing less than a pleasant, cordial evening, afterwhich I'd walk to my car thinking about what a great guy Bill is and how glad I was to get the opportunity to see what he's like outside the media circus.

However Bill Callahan isn't paid to be a nice guy. He's paid to be a head football coach.

I'd rather we have a steaming a-hole who bites a chunk out of a reporter in the postgame presser than a smiling spinster who won't publicly account for his team's failures to live up to Nebraska's storied standards. And at the end of the day all this is a big, giant piece of worthless. It doesn't matter if Callahan's distance lost the team, if the players lost it, if George W. Bush lost it: it all comes back to Bill Callahan. He's the head coach, paid an ungodly sum of money to manage a team and go out there and have a decent season while providing the hope of even better things to come.

Moreover, under Callahan we've seen the diminishment of several ancient traditions, not including that of winning, and so far as I'm concerned, everything else is shadows and dust. If Callahan had gone out onto the field with a savage blackshirt defense that put a few opposing QBs in the hospital and dropped five straight, I'd be pissed, but I could at least justify bringing him back after keeping the games close. If he'd stared into the cameras and said, "Yeah, I f'd up, and there'll be hell to pay if this isn't corrected starting five minutes ago," I'd probably have his back.

I don't think we'll ever have all the answers to the Callahan mystery, but unlike what the one gentleman said above about Nebraska fans believing what we read (lining up like ducks, apparently), I believe what I see. And I see failure "in all areas." We lose games and the manner in which we do it is embarrassing.

Spin that.

X