How many seasons will it take to get back to respectability...

hskrdedhed

Realistic expectations would be:

better conditioned athletes, leaner on both lines

stronger athletes

more physical play

tremendously more intense, focused play

gang tackling

improved fundamentals getting off blocks, better leverage with lineman, etc.

smarter decision making from coaches

coaches who play speed players

better use of redshirts

no excuses made by coaches or players

no blame being attributed to anyone but those responsble

a never quit attitude from coaches and players

no talking smack from players

good graduation rates

excellent character from the players and coaches off the field

better connection with team history, ex-players

and whatever that translates to record-wise on the field. Everything listed above is in the control of the players and coaches. Expect them to do all of that and hope it translates to more W's than L's --- maybe appreciably more W's than L's. But remember that the B12 now is pretty good --- even with all the improvement listed above, 9 wins may not happen.

:yeah

I dont think there'd be any question that improvement in those areas would dramtically affect the W/L record.

Agreed it should. What making improvements in all these areas would mean is that NU would be getting close to 100% productivity out of their talent. That said, even with 100% (as opposed to the , say 50% the past coaching staff got from their talent) NU's talent lags behind Texas and Oklahoma by a wide margin and is likely a little behind Missouri, and is comparable to Kansas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M.

I think that the NU fans overestimate the talent pool wearing red. Also, I think many underestimate the impact that being the laughing stack of college football has had on the psyche of the returning players. Kids do not instantly recover from such devastating a blow to the confidence. I would suspect that a reasonable subset of these guys will not recover confidence at all. So, even with near 100% productivity out of what NU has, middle conference (or perhaps upper middle conference) is about all anyone should expect for a while.

How many seasons will it take to get back to respectability...

:rollin:rollin:rollin

You don't even know who the next coach is yet.

Sure as hell don't know who the new OC or DC will be, or what offense will be used and you are already expecting 9 or 10 wins.

If respectability means 9-10 wins. With expectations like that....

Maybe the NEXT coach will manage it

...or the one after that

....or the one after that.

maybe this coach won't even get four years. The revolving door is spinning.

I wouldn't expect much the first season. I'm hoping for a solid building effort, some decent wins along the way, effort on both sides of the ball, every play, every game.

but opinions vary

ya rolls the dice...

... ya takes yer chances.

...It takes time to fall and it takes time to rise....

skers?!?!?

Seriously...wasn't it just a year ago we were all excited about going to the Big XII CCG? It only took a year to tear it down...

Why can't we turn it around just as fast? Take a look at what Arizona State did this year...

ASU is a good example "SkerMin8r",get a good coach: you will get an immediate turn around. As far has playing with Callahan's players, Pete Carroll inherited Hacket's players who were unheralded but one was Carson Palmer whom Norm Chow and PC made into a Heisman. If you get a great coach, you will know it the first year. It may not translate into the "W" column that first year but it will in the second. ASU and USC are just recent examples. I think using Win/Lose as your yardstick doesn't tell whole the story.