How many seasons will it take to get back to respectability...

hskrdedhed

I hope I'm wrong but I think we're heading for a series of turnovers in coaching about every 4 years. Years capped with 9 wins are hardly what Husker fans are looking for. I think we're in for a long period of mediocrity characterized by inconsistency. I think it will be a long time before we finish in the top 15 for 3 years in a row.

now that's optimism.....hope TO doesn't feel that way.

I have the utmost respect for TO and all he accomplished at Nebraska. He probably deserves a second chance at choosing a Husker coach.

Oh come on...not this again...

TO chose FS because he wanted continuity in the staff and Frank was the logical sucessor...was it a mistake??? Yeah...maybe...who really knows??? FS wasn't given a chance with his new staff... You can't blame TO for FS's inability to evaluate talent...to recruit... TO gave him the blueprint for success..he failed to execute with the staff he was given but wasn't given a chance to succeed with his own staff...

You're reading into the comment and illustrating my point. There's only so much TO can do and he only has limited control of the outcome. TO doesn't walk on water and there are no guarantees. I don't disagree with you on FS, in fact maybe his last season suggested he could turn things around. Although everyone has opinions we'll never know.

Will anyone be given the chance to succeed? It was very difficult to follow in the footsteps of the Devaney/Osborne dynasty. It will be even more difficult to establish a new dynasty.

Fair enough...I believe that if a coach comes in and embraces Husker tradition...he will be given adequate time to succeed...and I believe TO will see to it that this is the case because I believe he has the same fear as you...and in fact I believe that is why he selected from within his staff when he left after '97...

Remember those wins will be with Coach Callahan's recruits. (if he is let go)

And will 9 wins be enough for the fans?

For 99% of Husker fans this would go without question under a new coach.

I think for the long haul, "we" should expect the minimum to be 10 wins with 12 regular season games, a shot at CCG, and a bowl game. Anything less, and "we" might as well not expect anything and just give a coach a 25 year contract so that he can retire at NU with no worry of job performance. I dont want to settle for mediocre. I have no faith that Cally could have consistently kept NU above mediocre. 9-4 isnt much of above mediocre in the grand scheme of things imo.

9 wins is not out of the question at all -- 8 home games and non conference cup cakes except Virginia Tech I think -- plus the softer side of the South -- probably just depends on the definition of respectability.

I would be very surprised if we get 9 wins next year. The psyche of this team is shot. Listening to player comments, they are not fond of the fans or the media. That might change, but if so --- do not expect an overnight change. They know that they are quite susceptible to meltdowns and so their confidence is low. Many of these players are simply done for, especially on defense. Even if the line loses weight, gets stronger, the defense learns to tackle, the schemes are better and speed replaces the slow people we had at linebacker --- the best the defense will be will be serviceable (maybe #30 or so nationally). But that is not the problem. The problem is that.....

Kansas and Missouri will rule the B12 North for a while --- they have good coaching and they have more talent than NU (despite what most NU people think --- KU is close to NU and MU is ahead). And Colorado is on the rise. Even with improved coaching we have to play Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, VTech, and Colorado --- each game NU will be big underdogs and if NU wins 2 of those 5 games that would be great --- 1 of the five, at best, is what we should expect. Now, we should not be blown out in each and allow 50+ points per outing. But beating these guys? Not likely, not anytime soon. If the Huskers are bowl eligible and get 7 - 8 wins, well that would be a great move forward.

And, unless we get a great coach who can command some talent in recruiting (and I do not think Gill or Pelini is that man... well maybe Pelini, but I am not convinced) then, well..... the quest for bowl eligibility and respectability will be about all that NU fans will have to look forward to for a while. And, if the fans are not satisfied with that and create the fiasco again as we did this time, then expect that the coaches will be gone in 3 -4 years because the players will be beat down so bad again and a new crew will try yet again. It will be a cycle like that until either the talent really elevates or the expectations become reasonable. Until the talent/coaching and fan/media expectations get in sync, there will be problems in Lincoln.

So please people, lets not have talk of 9 win seasons. Be reasonable. This team was only marginally better than Baylor or Iowa State --- and maybe currently not as good as Iowa State. Would you not laugh at Baylor or ISU fans spouting "9-win season" talk for next year? You sure would. What is the difference with NU fans talking the same. NU is #10 or #11 in the B12 conference. It is unlikely for them next year to elevate much beyond, say #7 or so. It could happen --- but do not count on it.

I think that it will depend on who we hire as our coach. I think we all want 9 + wins next year, but we don't even know for sure which recruits will stay or go. We might lose some existing players as well.

The difference for me next year will be hope. I have never hated watching football so much in my life because after the Ok State game, I lost all hope that I had for our program. We could win the same number of games next year, and I will feel better because the team will improve.

I think for the long haul, "we" should expect the minimum to be 10 wins with 12 regular season games, a shot at CCG, and a bowl game. Anything less, and "we" might as well not expect anything and just give a coach a 25 year contract so that he can retire at NU with no worry of job performance. I dont want to settle for mediocre. I have no faith that Cally could have consistently kept NU above mediocre. 9-4 isnt much of above mediocre in the grand scheme of things imo.

This is why Nebraska will become a revolving door for coaches!!

...and the alternative is to "accept mediocrity."

Not even we find one that has a half a clue what Nebraska is and what he's doing as a head coach.

X

Diehard --- well done. You are absolutely correct. The NU fan expectation is absurd. Unrealistic expectations makes life very rough for coaches and players. Until the fan base gets realistic then yes, revolving doors is what we'll get. Though another 5 or 6 years of ca. .500 or so play and 1/2 the seasons without bowl games would fix those expectations the hard way.

I'd rather just take what we can get, hope for the best and cheer them on hoping for improvement and having realistic expectations.

...and the alternative is to "accept mediocrity."

So you expect no more than 2 losses a season? Good luck with that fantasy...

Diehard --- well done. You are absolutely correct. The NU fan expectation is absurd. Unrealistic expectations makes life very rough for coaches and players. Until the fan base gets realistic then yes, revolving doors is what we'll get. Though another 5 or 6 years of ca. .500 or so play and 1/2 the seasons without bowl games would fix those expectations the hard way.

I'd rather just take what we can get, hope for the best and cheer them on hoping for improvement and having realistic expectations.

So what should us Husker fans accept as realistic expectations? I'll never get the answer to my next question, but I wonder if someone like a Pete Carroll would ever sign on with an NU with a non-high bar being set. My Huskers have been a winner until this Cally debacle. As a fan, why should I be satisfied with less? I'd rather coach at a place that expects excellence and will give me everything I needed to reach those expectations than coach at a place where the fans are wishy-washy and will "take what we can get". I think thats the most defeated attitude I've ever heard from a Husker fan. :lol::)

So what should us Husker fans accept as realistic expectations? I'll never get the answer to my next question, but I wonder if someone like a Pete Carroll would ever sign on with an NU with a non-high bar being set. My Huskers have been a winner until this Cally debacle. As a fan, why should I be satisfied with less? I'd rather coach at a place that expects excellence and will give me everything I needed to reach those expectations than coach at a place where the fans are wishy-washy and will "take what we can get". I think thats the most defeated attitude I've ever heard from a Husker fan. :lol::)

Realistic expectations would be:

better conditioned athletes, leaner on both lines

stronger athletes

more physical play

tremendously more intense, focused play

gang tackling

improved fundamentals getting off blocks, better leverage with lineman, etc.

smarter decision making from coaches

coaches who play speed players

better use of redshirts

no excuses made by coaches or players

no blame being attributed to anyone but those responsble

a never quit attitude from coaches and players

no talking smack from players

good graduation rates

excellent character from the players and coaches off the field

better connection with team history, ex-players

and whatever that translates to record-wise on the field. Everything listed above is in the control of the players and coaches. Expect them to do all of that and hope it translates to more W's than L's --- maybe appreciably more W's than L's. But remember that the B12 now is pretty good --- even with all the improvement listed above, 9 wins may not happen.

You think someone like a Pete Carroll would come here with a NON-HIGH BAR BEING SET? This NON-HIGH BAR being no more than two losses a year?!?!?!?