My thoughts

nepolo7

Well I never thought I would be happy to see a season come to an end but this year is finally gone and I am just happy all the speculations have come to an end.

I am not as angry or hateful to Callahan as many others. I am glad to see him go. His personality was just not a good fit for Nebraska. He did not get the culture here or relate to the people here. I am more angry with pederson for hiring him. Callahan was clearly a hire out of desperation not quality.

I hope that as a program now we have a sense of direction and knowledge of what we want in a head coach. I hope they look for the best fit not necessarily a name or someone who will shake things up jus tto shake things up.

Oh well, excited for the future, ready for the 08 season. I will be making it to Lincoln next year for a game.

Well I never thought I would be happy to see a season come to an end but this year is finally gone and I am just happy all the speculations have come to an end.

I am not as angry or hateful to Callahan as many others. I am glad to see him go. His personality was just not a good fit for Nebraska. He did not get the culture here or relate to the people here. I am more angry with pederson for hiring him. Callahan was clearly a hire out of desperation not quality.

I hope that as a program now we have a sense of direction and knowledge of what we want in a head coach. I hope they look for the best fit not necessarily a name or someone who will shake things up jus tto shake things up.

Oh well, excited for the future, ready for the 08 season. I will be making it to Lincoln next year for a game.

I'm with you bro...

I'm with you bro...

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

That makes three!

...T_O_B

I don't think that Bill was a bad person, or even necessarily a bad football coach. The Huskers did some good things under him (although obviously the bad outweighed the good). I think if he had come in under different circumstances (i.e. under an AD who wasn't an a-hole), things might have been different. Ultimately, things happened that didn't sit well with us (the fans) and if you're not winning, those things are magnified. While I am glad to see a change, I wish Bill the best of luck in the future. Just don't let the door hit you on the way out!

People won't agree, but in some respects we actually should be thankful for the way Callahan ran the program. He kept it clean, he continued to stress academics, he did a good job with community relations (the Fun Run and his out-reach to other coaches - he and his staff seemed very willing to communicate with the high school coaches from what little I recall). And with only a few exceptions - some of which are debatable anyway - he ran the program with honor. It appears that many of the players genuinely liked him, and he appeared to have stressed good behavior in the players.

Was that a continuation of what has been? Sure - but we could have easily ended up with a coach that came in and immediately recruited thugs and placed the emphasis on athletics over academics.

Callahan may not have been a good fit for Nebraska, and it can certainly be argued that he is an offensive coordinator, not a head coach. But putting that aside, he did some good things.

Given the meltdown, a lot of people won't acknolwedge it, but when viewed objectively, it could have been a lot worse.

People won't agree, but in some respects we actually should be thankful for the way Callahan ran the program. He kept it clean, he continued to stress academics, he did a good job with community relations (the Fun Run and his out-reach to other coaches - he and his staff seemed very willing to communicate with the high school coaches from what little I recall). And with only a few exceptions - some of which are debatable anyway - he ran the program with honor. It appears that many of the players genuinely liked him, and he appeared to have stressed good behavior in the players.

Was that a continuation of what has been? Sure - but we could have easily ended up with a coach that came in and immediately recruited thugs and placed the emphasis on athletics over academics.

Callahan may not have been a good fit for Nebraska, and it can certainly be argued that he is an offensive coordinator, not a head coach. But putting that aside, he did some good things.

Given the meltdown, a lot of people won't acknolwedge it, but when viewed objectively, it could have been a lot worse.

AR you are a voice of reason. I totally agree.

...T_O_B

True, we wouldn't want to become Miami under Schnellenberger and Johnson...

I just hope the search for a new coach and long and drawn out, hopefully we'll know by Monday or tuesday!!

Here's an idea my wife, a Lincoln native, NU alum, and life-long NU fan came up with. As a former football coach, it makes sense to me. So, before anyone laughs, give my following comments some serious thought...My wife suggested that NU go after Bill Cowher, the former Pittsburgh Steeler coach. BUT, and hang with me here, NU also lures Turner Gill away from Buffalo and the two combine to, first, bring back the winning record to NU, and, secondly, they also bring back that unexplainable yet ever so prevalent entity known as the Husker tradition. Cowher could be hired for a maximum of three - four years with the understanding that after that time, Turner Gill takes over as the new head coach. Think about it: Would Cowher let Kansas or anyone else off the hook? No, I doubt he would. Would Cowher have allowed Colorado to come back from an 11 point deficit? Nope. But at the same time, Cowher could also be the one person who gets the Blackshirt defense where it once was because we all know Cowher takes crap off no one. He'd fire up the new Blackshirts, the REVAMPED Blackshirts, and anyone who faces the NU defense will have to hear war stories from their friends, fathers, grandfathers, grandmothers, etc. about how the NEW Blackshirts sure look like those of old. Cowher could bring in someone such as Tom Rathman to help out with the BS Defense in the role of Defensive Coach. At the same time, Turner Gill would work with the offense and while he might bring back the option offense, he could also install newer and more contemporary plays that are specifically designed to counter the various forms of offenses in use by any number of schools around the nation. That way, when other big time schools such as USC returns to Lincoln (and after NU becomes again the power it once was, then big-time schools would HAVE to come to Lincoln or schedule NU for a home game) then they do so facing a defense and an offense that will put it to them in any number of ways. Gill could possibly bring in Scott Frost or Eric Crouch to help with the offense. By doing so, you've got a return to Nebraska tradtion which the fan base so desperately seeks. After Cowher leaves, and Gill assumes the head position, then what's left but a return to national prominence as well as a return to post-season games which are BCS games rather than the watered-down bowl games we see now that are really more of a consolation prize than they are true, meaningful bowl games? Additionally, after Cowher's departure, almost the entire staff would be former NU players who surely WOULD NOT allow anyone to wear the NU jersey who doesn't understand and apprecciate what it means to play in Memorial Stadium. New recruits would be amazed to see Bill Cowher, Turner Gill, Eric Crouch, and any number of former Husker greats in their living rooms, as would their fathers if they know anything at all about NU football. I know all this sounds far fetched, but think back: so was the hiring of Bill Callahan far-fethced for that matter. I'll anxiously look for replies to this message...

he and his staff seemed very willing to communicate with the high school coaches from what little I recall).

I'm having a hard time agreeing with your statements about Callahan

Sounded like during TO's press conference on Saturday that he mentioned that Callahan and company had "lost" some of the high school coaches and that one of his primary agenda items was to "get them back" as he built up the recruiting within the state in the coming years. Where do you recall that he did a good job with state high school coaches?

He also was blatantly disrespectful of Osborne from what it sounds like calling him a "crusty old XXXX"...I think he put on a pretty damn good show in front of the camera but behind the scenes I firmly believe he had no respect for the history of Nebraska football.

Goodbye and good riddance...Callahan didn't do a damn good thing for Nebraska football and I think your argument otherwise is completely flawed