GILL OR PELINI

I'm just not so sure either one would be a good coach for us.

Both lack experience.

I know most of you look up to T.O. but I have to question his selections.

I believe he has a degree in psychology and he picked Solich didn't he?

He couldn't figure out that Frankie was just a go-fer in his system.

Maybe T.O. is caving into popular demand in choosing a new coach.

Or is it all about getting a coach for less money?

i agree, they may lack experience, but you have to start somewhere. If you get back to fundamentals (i.e. blocking, tackling, full pads, motivation), I think the rest will take care of itself. Not to oversimplify.

Also, had Frank remain in place along with Pelini and Sanders, I wonder what our records would look like. I really believe we would have been back on track. We needed to recruit better athletes. That is where Solich had his challenges.

But again, who knows. I just hope we get back on track as a program.

I think it depends on how you want to measure 'progress' or 'goodness' in a team. If you want to measure it via 5-star recruits out of California and high-flying offenses a la Hawaii or someplace, Gill and Pelini aren't your guys for sure. But if you're like me and are more concerned about the return to traditions such as the blackshirt tradition, the walkon program, motivated football teams who play for their school, and a power running game, Pelini and/or Gill are logical choices.

Any coaching choice we make is subject to nitpicky scrutiny. That means ANY coaching choice. There's not a a single one you could deliver where I couldn't find a game where the defense collapsed, where the offense went limp, where they got blown out, etc, etc.

But since we're gambling anyway, I'd just as soon roll the dice on a former Husker coach, someone in or very near the family. Just my take, but I'd rather we've got someone we're familiar with than another Bill Callahan.

X

I think it depends on how you want to measure 'progress' or 'goodness' in a team. If you want to measure it via 5-star recruits out of California and high-flying offenses a la Hawaii or someplace, Gill and Pelini aren't your guys for sure. But if you're like me and are more concerned about the return to traditions such as the blackshirt tradition, the walkon program, motivated football teams who play for their school, and a power running game, Pelini and/or Gill are logical choices.

Any coaching choice we make is subject to nitpicky scrutiny. That means ANY coaching choice. There's not a a single one you could deliver where I couldn't find a game where the defense collapsed, where the offense went limp, where they got blown out, etc, etc.

But since we're gambling anyway, I'd just as soon roll the dice on a former Husker coach, someone in or very near the family. Just my take, but I'd rather we've got someone we're familiar with than another Bill Callahan.

X

Paul Johnson would be my wildcard here. i think the guy has done wonders with limited talent. but for me to really like him, i would need to see some hot shot DC come in as well. the D must be fixed before we move on, it just has to be.

Paul Johnson would not demand an outrageous salary and is quite possibly the most brilliant tactician in college football today. Pair him with a good DC and we would be back in the top 5 in a matter of two-three years.

In my opinion, the only way a Paul Johnson moves into the picture is if Bo and Turner both turn us down. Its funny how people like to bring up that Johnson has done quite a bit with limited talent, while ignoring that Turner Gill has done exactly the same thing.

Paul Johnson would not demand an outrageous salary and is quite possibly the most brilliant tactician in college football today. Pair him with a good DC and we would be back in the top 5 in a matter of two-three years.

In my opinion, the only way a Paul Johnson moves into the picture is if Bo and Turner both turn us down. Its funny how people like to bring up that Johnson has done quite a bit with limited talent, while ignoring that Turner Gill has done exactly the same thing.

Paul Johnson won two national championships at the Division 1-AA level. He whipped Jim Tressel when they met head-to-head. He was named the Division 1-AA National Coach of the Year four consecutive times. At Navy, he's been a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award, the Paul "Bear" Bryant Coach of the Year Award and the Associated Press Coach of the Year Awards. He's successfully turned around two different programs in his ten years as a head coach, including Navy, which is a nearly impossible situation. His career winning percentage as head coach is 10th among all active coaches. This includes six years at Navy, where the fastest guy on the team runs a 4.6 40.

I like and respect Turner Gill, but there is no comparison between his resume and Paul Johnson's resume. I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Johnson ends up at Michigan. Would Turner Gill even be on anyone's radar if it wasn't for his Nebraska ties?