Crux of the Decision

I decided to write this little blurb in response to several people who post things like:

"I don't think Pelini is the best choice."

"I don't think Gill is ready."

"The LSU fans don't want Pelini, should we?"

"They may be good at X and Y, but what about recruiting? Can they handle a D-1 team?"

Etc., etc., etc....

Bottom line is this. There is no coach who we can be guaranteed will be a success at Nebraska. There is no way to predict it, there is no way to be certain. How are any of you certain––or even knowledgable enough to assume––that Bo Pelini or Turner Gill are not ready to be the head coach at Nebraska? I realize that some arguments can be made, but at best what you're typically doing is pointing out uncertainties, which are not, unfortunately for you, quite the same as arguments against them. Bo has no head coaching experience. Reversing your logic I can then say that Bill Callahan is a better choice than Bo Pelini because he has that. If you want to move the argument into who is best for Nebraska specifically, you've wandered into dark, murky waters. It depends what you mean by "best."

Which coach can any of you point to and authoritatively prove will win games? Is there a single one?

What I'm saying is this. We won't know until we find out. The best thing we can do is trust Tom Osborne to make the best decision he can. No matter what candidate you select for scrutiny, there will always be some facet of their career that one can point to and say, "Aha! He'd be a terrible coach because his defense gave up forty points in 1984!"

I would personally be optimistic with either Bo or Turner. I'd be doing jumping jacks if we got both. As I see it our team needs are as follows.

1) A coach with experiences or at the very least a deep regard for our traditions, including blackshirts, walk-ons, physical football, and winning.

2) A strong motivator.

3) A teacher of fundamentals who can also scheme with the best of them, and get athletes to play tough, physical football.

There are others you can point to, but as I see it these are at least near the very top, if not the most vital. According to the way I see our needs, both Bo Pelini and Turner Gill would be reasonable choices, and I'd have little reason to doubt their ability to succeed. There may be others, but all this talk about who and who isn't ready is ignorant, uninformed, and ultimately speculative drivel. Their records speak for themselves.

X

I decided to write this little blurb in response to several people who post things like:

"They may be good at X and Y, but what about recruiting? Can they handle a D-1 team?"

Etc., etc., etc....

Bottom line is this. There is no coach who we can be guaranteed will be a success at Nebraska. There is no way to predict it, there is no way to be certain. How are any of you certain––or even knowledgable enough to assume––that Bo Pelini or Turner Gill are not ready to be the head coach at Nebraska? I realize that some arguments can be made, but at best what you're typically doing is pointing out uncertainties, which are not, unfortunately for you, quite the same as arguments against them. Bo has no head coaching experience. Reversing your logic I can then say that Bill Callahan is a better choice than Bo Pelini because he has that. If you want to move the argument into who is best for Nebraska specifically, you've wandered into dark, murky waters. It depends what you mean by "best."

Which coach can any of you point to and authoritatively prove will win games? Is there a single one?

What I'm saying is this. We won't know until we find out. The best thing we can do is trust Tom Osborne to make the best decision he can. No matter what candidate you select for scrutiny, there will always be some facet of their career that one can point to and say, "Aha! He'd be a terrible coach because his defense gave up forty points in 1984!"

I would personally be optimistic with either Bo or Turner. I'd be doing jumping jacks if we got both. As I see it our team needs are as follows.

1) A coach with experiences or at the very least a deep regard for our traditions, including blackshirts, walk-ons, physical football, and winning.

2) A strong motivator.

3) A teacher of fundamentals who can also scheme with the best of them, and get athletes to play tough, physical football.

There are others you can point to, but as I see it these are at least near the very top, if not the most vital. According to the way I see our needs, both Bo Pelini and Turner Gill would be reasonable choices, and I'd have little reason to doubt their ability to succeed. There may be others, but all this talk about who and who isn't ready is ignorant, uninformed, and ultimately speculative drivel. Their records speak for themselves.

X

You are a legend in your own mind!!!! :hmmph

Etc., etc., etc....

2) A strong motivator.

X

Nice post and ITA!!! :clap:clap

Etc., etc., etc....

2) A strong motivator.

X

good post x.

Etc., etc., etc....

2) A strong motivator.

X

And when the legend spreads, my empire shall be forged.

Let's take this out of a football situation.

Husker X is a top/ sellling hard working junior accournt executive in his thire year at General Motors. He is known in the industry has being a hard charger, get r done type of guy. Takes no prisoners. Knows he can get the job done. Knows his job up and down. But has little to know experience in any of the other facets of the business, but is willing to try.

Ford has an opening for a CFO. Will Husker X be hired?

Check back later.

The plane is still in the air.

Husker X is a top/ sellling hard working junior accournt executive in his thire year at General Motors. He is known in the industry has being a hard charger, get r done type of guy. Takes no prisoners. Knows he can get the job done. Knows his job up and down. But has little to know experience in any of the other facets of the business, but is willing to try.

Check back later.

of course not.

Check back later.

Depends on whether or not I ace the interview, and what the boss sees in me. :box

Etc., etc., etc....

2) A strong motivator.

X

And when the legend spreads, my empire shall be forged.

An empire built on delusional grandiose musings............j/k :sarcasm

X,

College football is big business, there is no difference.

No ill feelings, but that is what we are doing if we take Pelini or Gill.

Unfortunately I think that is what is going to happen.

There is so much more to being the Head Coach than on the field activities, Pelini could not even manage the team at the bowl game. He has had many problems dealing with authority his whole career and seems to ruffel feathers at every interview.

Turner, as much as we love him does not have the record that we need to gain credibility with potential recruits. No one we would be recruiting has a clue of who he is or what he did.

We need a proven winner. We need to set our sights for the Iaccoa's not Kia management.

But Ford would not have interviewed you.

X,

College football is big business, there is no difference.

No ill feelings, but that is what we are doing if we take Pelini or Gill.

Unfortunately I think that is what is going to happen.

There is so much more to being the Head Coach than on the field activities, Pelini could not even manage the team at the bowl game. He has had many problems dealing with authority his whole career and seems to ruffel feathers at every interview.

Turner, as much as we love him does not have the record that we need to gain credibility with potential recruits. No one we would be recruiting has a clue of who he is or what he did.

We need a proven winner. We need to set our sights for the Iaccoa's not Kia management.

But Ford would not have interviewed you.

In case you fell asleep the last four years, we just had an NFL-calibar 'manager' hanging around, with a shark in a suit as his spinster. The very reasons you don't like Bo are the ones that attract me. He's a guy with dirt under his fingernails. Doesn't take or shovel bullsh#t. I don't care if he's not a media darling. I dont' care if he can't land five star recruits. If he has us playing smashmouth football again, attacking offenses like hungry wolves, and getting away with 9-10 wins a season, he'll be everything I hoped for. It took Osborne a long time to get to the big time. I can wait for that. What I can't stand is another smiling, spinning manager, proven or unproven. We just had a superbowl coach for heaven's sake. You can't get much better 'proof' than that.

Pelini can teach fundamentals, teach defense, and motivate. He might not be a magic potion, but he's not pickle juice either.

X

X , you make intelligent points and a lot of people here wouldn't argue, because we understand this. We want what's best, and whoever is named HC will certainly be the best that we can get per Osborne. And hopefully the new HC will be supported and welcomed.

Going off of records speak for themselves, Chris Petersen is 22-2. He beat OU when they had Adrian Petersen on the national stage. He won Bear Bryant Coach of the year. He produces with the talent they have. Teams around the country are not lining up to play these guys in non-conference b/c they are tough and they win. Although I personally think the visiting teams spend the entire first half adjusting their pupils on the blue turf, I still think he is the best "up-and-coming" coach out there. But that's my view.

Check back later.

Depends on whether or not I ace the interview, and what the boss sees in me. :box

First you gotta get outa that clown suit!!!

I am not on any bandwagon for a pro coach, other than Cowher if that was even remotely possible.

I want a proven college winner, one that knows what it is and takes to do the job. I would prefere one with credentials from a larger more successful program. Tuberville, Reicht, Miles, Rodriques, Grobe, then down to Pederson/Kelley, and one I really like is Pat Hill from Freson State.

These guys all know what it takes to run a program, know offense and defense or at least could bring proven assistants with them.

What most are wanting are totally unproven, with very little networking for solid assistants to come with them.

I am not a believer in the it has to be a Nebraska tie in. Not against that, but none are truly ready to do what is needed at this program. We can not afford another 4 years or 10 years which ever you want to call it.

We have had two unproven college head coaches, I just do not want to go down the road again.

I have voiced my feelings on Pelini, and that has a lot do with my concenrs, but at one time I supported him for this job. But now we just can not afford to make a mistake. If you can get a Lexus, you don't buy a kia because the price is better. I am afraid that is what we are doing with a 1 million dollar price tag.