announcement at players meeting?

I heard this on the KPTM news last night and here it is from their website:

http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=7414487

LINCOLN, Neb. (KPTM) - Husker players are expected to learn Tuesday afternoon who will lead their team next year.

A player's meeting has been called for 4 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. Steve Ryan with bigredreport.com says the meeting has been called to announce a new coach, but not to introduce one.

Bigredreport.com also tells FOX 42 that coach is most likely Bo Pelini, who Tom Osborne interviewed Sunday. Pelini was defensive coordinator at Nebraska in 2003.

I heard this on the KPTM news last night and here it is from their website:

http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=7414487

LINCOLN, Neb. (KPTM) - Husker players are expected to learn Tuesday afternoon who will lead their team next year.

A player's meeting has been called for 4 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. Steve Ryan with bigredreport.com says the meeting has been called to announce a new coach, but not to introduce one.

Bigredreport.com also tells FOX 42 that coach is most likely Bo Pelini, who Tom Osborne interviewed Sunday. Pelini was defensive coordinator at Nebraska in 2003.

that says it was updated this morning at 10:57. Odd that KPTM would have the scoop...no bogasm yet.

Sorry but it doesn't make sense enough to be a viable rumor. Shame on KPTM for spreading trash that the BigRedReport spews.

My understanding is that the meeting this afteroon is "housekeeping" end of season meeting, i.e. clean out your lockers, here's the info on the team banquet, here's your winter conditioning schedule, and the like.

I don't know. Osborne must have finished his search in short order if this is accurate.
Well, maybe yes and maybe no.

Short order for him, but I'm guessing the search firm was on the job since at least two weeks ago, and most likely three weeks ago after the Kansas loss. That seems to have been the clincher from what Osborne said at the press conference.

So three weeks of research by a top firm, then a few interviews by TO, all of which could have been taken care of in a few days, and there you have it. Not really "short order" at all.

I don't know. Osborne must have finished his search in short order if this is accurate.
Well, maybe yes and maybe no.

Short order for him, but I'm guessing the search firm was on the job since at least two weeks ago, and most likely three weeks ago after the Kansas loss. That seems to have been the clincher from what Osborne said at the press conference.

So three weeks of research by a top firm, then a few interviews by TO, all of which could have been taken care of in a few days, and there you have it. Not really "short order" at all.

a friend of mine on another message board is saying pelini will be announced as HC in the player's meeting today and will give a video-conference speech to them... if this is true, we should know something a few hours before the meeting (which is scheduled for 4:30 CST if i'm not mistaken)

We all need to remember that TO told Callahan what he needed to do to keep his job. We were 4-4 at the time and TO said win the next 4 and we are fine. Win 3 and Maybe. 2 and it is prob not going to work. Well he lost the next 2. I would have to say that he started looking at that time!! I agree with knapplc.

I am sure that he kept his word and did not talk to anyone, but I can say with confidence that he had the search firm looking!

We all need to remember that TO told Callahan what he needed to do to keep his job. We were 4-4 at the time and TO said win the next 4 and we are fine. Win 3 and Maybe. 2 and it is prob not going to work. Well he lost the next 2. I would have to say that he started looking at that time!!

I am sure that he kept his word and did not talk to anyone, but I can say with confidence that he had the search firm looking!

:yeah

That's what I'm talking about. TO himself wasn't actively looking, but that search firm sure was sifting through possible candidates, and putting together dossiers on the ones TO interviewed.

I'll stake Dundermifflinite's reputation on it. :thumbs:lol:

My guess is that the players' meeting will cover the ordinary run of the mill end of season stuff, and they will update the players on the coaching search. There was a quote by Witt somewhere on the internet yesterday that none of the players know what is going on with the coaching search. That is not good, and Osborne meeting with the players would be helpful in that regard. I doubt Osborne gives them specific information, but it is good to keep them updated and free from any thoughts of transferring, etc.

We all need to remember that TO told Callahan what he needed to do to keep his job. We were 4-4 at the time and TO said win the next 4 and we are fine. Win 3 and Maybe. 2 and it is prob not going to work. Well he lost the next 2. I would have to say that he started looking at that time!! I agree with knapplc.

I work for a search firm myself and I can say that any employer who hires a headhunter to do a search, regardless of the position, wants them to open the lines of communication. It's a way to go around the "rules" of contacting currently employed candidates.

I know some of the kids on the team. I'll try and get an update from them this evening. From what I've heard is the new HC will be named in this meeting, w/a PC to introduce the new HC tomorrow. I don't have a link, however I have connections to some high level boosters who were at these interviews. :)

I know some of the kids on the team. I'll try and get an update from them this evening. From what I've heard is the new HC will be named in this meeting, w/a PC to introduce the new HC tomorrow. I don't have a link, however I have connections to some high level boosters who were at these interviews. :)

Why would booster be at the interviews? Did they applaud when they liked the answers given and boo when they did'nt?

Why would booster be at the interviews? Did they applaud when they liked the answers given and boo when they did'nt?

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin