Solich to the Patriots??

Blackshirt

This just in from the AP Wire...

Patriots GM eyeing Solich for “new vision”

by Jason Sherwood

Boston Globe

Thursday, December 9, 2004

In the modern, topsy-turvy “what have you done for me lately?” world of today’s National Football League, no coach’s job is safe, no matter how successful he’s been in the past.

Such is the case with Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick, who, despite winning two Superbowls in the past three years, is currently on the hot seat in New England. Though Belichick has guided his team to an AFC-best 10-1 record thus far this season, anonymous sources around the League feel that Patriots General Manager Scott Pioli has become concerned over the possibility that the team could be stuck with Belichick if former Husker head man Frank Solich were to take a job in college football.

Pioli, considered by many to be the top GM in the NFL, has long had his eye on Solich and his former recruiting coordinator, Dave Gillespie, whom he calls “the top talent evaluator in the game at any level.” Team sources have cited a strong desire on the part of Pioli to get the deal done in order to bring a “new vision” to the New England Patriots franchise. “He is dead-set and determined to get this deal done,” said a source close to Pioli.

Though a perplexing scenario to many fans and casual observers, League insiders are calling the move to woo Solich a “stunning stroke of genius” and point to impressive career wins over Troy State, McNeese State and San Jose State as the “straw that broke the camel’s back.” Pioli is reportedly ecstatic about the possibility of landing what he terms “the big two”—a reference to Solich and Gillespie.

Gillespie, described by the League personnel with whom I spoke as a “man of vision” and a “keen evaluator of talent,” could be the real steal here. Despite some brilliant personnel moves by the Patriots’ front office in recent years, both in free agency and the draft, it is believed that the opportunity to land Gillespie as part of a package deal would be too hard to pass up.

“Dave is the best in the business,” one source said. “It’s almost like he’s operating at an entirely different level than the rest of us. He sees things that no one else sees. It’s almost like he has a crystal ball.”

One thing is certain: Pioli will move quickly and decisively to secure the dynamic duo, and hopes that the team can be turned over to Solich in time for the AFC playoffs. Gillespie, who would become the Patriots new Director of Scouting, would then have a full four months to mastermind the team’s draft-day strategy and off-season personnel evaluation.

When reached for comment, Solich denied having been contacted by anyone from the Patriots organization, but an anonymous source close to the former Husker head man says that Solich is privately thrilled about the opportunity to install his patented ‘Solich Juggernaut System™’ in the National Football League and feels that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will be a formidable threat in the sprint option package.

A formal offer to Solich and Gillespie is expected to be made by the weekend. We will have more information for you as this story unfolds.

Lighten up. Neither myself nor the article are endorsing Solich getting screwed, as I think we have ALL agreed countless times about, including the fact that we didn't agree with the manner in which it happened. Get over it. I have, and I'm sure Frank even has by now. I posted the article because I found it to be a somewhat humorous read, considering how egregious the suggestion was that one of the greatest NFL teams in the past 20 years would be firing its coach. To me this is actually indirectly making more fun of the flip, instant-gratification laden sports society we live in (which Solich was a victim of), rather than any specific people. But maybe I just put too much thought into things.. With that in mind I would've posted the article irrespective of who the named coach was. Regardless I dont need to explain to you why I make a post, so I guess if you don't want to read it, don't.

Make fun of a nebraska guy who got screwed!Awesome.

Hey - great job trying to deflect the fact that you fell hook, line and sinker, for such a blatantly, obvious piece of satire that everyone else instantly realized was humor! Awesome!

Quick Benard cancel the order for all the Patriots gear you just bought.

:rollin:rollin:rollin What's known as a "self-nuke"...

This just in from the AP Wire...

Patriots GM eyeing Solich for “new vision”

by Jason Sherwood

Boston Globe

Thursday, December 9, 2004

In the modern, topsy-turvy “what have you done for me lately?” world of today’s National Football League, no coach’s job is safe, no matter how successful he’s been in the past.

Such is the case with Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick, who, despite winning two Superbowls in the past three years, is currently on the hot seat in New England. Though Belichick has guided his team to an AFC-best 10-1 record thus far this season, anonymous sources around the League feel that Patriots General Manager Scott Pioli has become concerned over the possibility that the team could be stuck with Belichick if former Husker head man Frank Solich were to take a job in college football.

Pioli, considered by many to be the top GM in the NFL, has long had his eye on Solich and his former recruiting coordinator, Dave Gillespie, whom he calls “the top talent evaluator in the game at any level.” Team sources have cited a strong desire on the part of Pioli to get the deal done in order to bring a “new vision” to the New England Patriots franchise. “He is dead-set and determined to get this deal done,” said a source close to Pioli.

Though a perplexing scenario to many fans and casual observers, League insiders are calling the move to woo Solich a “stunning stroke of genius” and point to impressive career wins over Troy State, McNeese State and San Jose State as the “straw that broke the camel’s back.” Pioli is reportedly ecstatic about the possibility of landing what he terms “the big two”—a reference to Solich and Gillespie.

Gillespie, described by the League personnel with whom I spoke as a “man of vision” and a “keen evaluator of talent,” could be the real steal here. Despite some brilliant personnel moves by the Patriots’ front office in recent years, both in free agency and the draft, it is believed that the opportunity to land Gillespie as part of a package deal would be too hard to pass up.

“Dave is the best in the business,” one source said. “It’s almost like he’s operating at an entirely different level than the rest of us. He sees things that no one else sees. It’s almost like he has a crystal ball.”

One thing is certain: Pioli will move quickly and decisively to secure the dynamic duo, and hopes that the team can be turned over to Solich in time for the AFC playoffs. Gillespie, who would become the Patriots new Director of Scouting, would then have a full four months to mastermind the team’s draft-day strategy and off-season personnel evaluation.

When reached for comment, Solich denied having been contacted by anyone from the Patriots organization, but an anonymous source close to the former Husker head man says that Solich is privately thrilled about the opportunity to install his patented ‘Solich Juggernaut System™’ in the National Football League and feels that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will be a formidable threat in the sprint option package.

A formal offer to Solich and Gillespie is expected to be made by the weekend. We will have more information for you as this story unfolds.

blasphemy. downright blasphmey!!

This is totally bogus. Your not going to fire a guy that has won 2 super bowls and on his way to another one. Can't believe you would even post this.

Are you serious? I think the reason Blackshirt posted that was because it should have been completely obvious to EVERYONE that it was a joke. Not everything has to be serious in life. Perhaps a joke was posted to give everyone a chuckle today. Before you respond like you did here, close the text window, read it again, maybe even email a friend and have them look at it. Perhaps their second opinion might help you realize that it was a F***ING JOKE! Go grab a MUGS root beer, Mr. Thickhead.