The more I think about it....

While Bo Pelini or Turner Gill would of course be excellent choices, there was a reason why Pederson (who Osborne backed for the position as AD) looked outside for coaching. College football is changing and the old NU style will eventually lead the team into mediocraty. While defense is key, and bringing back Pelini to revitalize the blackshirts is top on my list, there are other options for coaches out there.

A dark horse candidate that people may or may not even be looking at is Cincinatti head coach Brian Kelly. In addition to revitalizing that program, he has a long tradition of winning. At Grand Valley State University he won 2 straight Div II championships before moving on to Central Michigan then Cin. He is a winner. Calahan was a tool, he took someone elses team (Gruden) to the superbowl and got hammered there, he failed to gain the respect of anyone in the state with his overly complicated passing offence in a state that is conducive to smashmouth football. Finesse doesnt work when its 10 degrees outside.

That being said, new blood may be good for the Big Red. Kelly is mentioned in other high profile coaching vacancies, namely Michigan (albeit unlikely due to the almost certainty of LSU's coach returning to the Wolverines). If not Kelly, I think it is important not to simply look to an old NU coach to come back. That would be admitting defeat, which I hope even after this season the Big Red is not ready to do just yet.

:boxosoap

While Bo Pelini or Turner Gill would of course be excellent choices, there was a reason why Pederson (who Osborne backed for the position as AD) looked outside for coaching. College football is changing and the old NU style will eventually lead the team into mediocraty. While defense is key, and bringing back Pelini to revitalize the blackshirts is top on my list, there are other options for coaches out there.

A dark horse candidate that people may or may not even be looking at is Cincinatti head coach Brian Kelly. In addition to revitalizing that program, he has a long tradition of winning. At Grand Valley State University he won 2 straight Div II championships before moving on to Central Michigan then Cin. He is a winner. Calahan was a tool, he took someone elses team (Gruden) to the superbowl and got hammered there, he failed to gain the respect of anyone in the state with his overly complicated passing offence in a state that is conducive to smashmouth football. Finesse doesnt work when its 10 degrees outside.

That being said, new blood may be good for the Big Red. Kelly is mentioned in other high profile coaching vacancies, namely Michigan (albeit unlikely due to the almost certainty of LSU's coach returning to the Wolverines). If not Kelly, I think it is important not to simply look to an old NU coach to come back. That would be admitting defeat, which I hope even after this season the Big Red is not ready to do just yet.

:boxosoap

I understand your thinking on Gill, but I think he has seen enough different types of offense's to make the changes needed. Bo wasn't here long enough to get into smash mouth football. Kelly is the guy, wins where ever he gos. Has great inroads into that hot bed of recruiting area.

GBR!!!

When Bo was at Nebraska, he was concerned about the defense....if he were to bring in a good offensive coordinator, and he focused on the defense, this could be a good team again.

A sign of a good coach is to know his own weakness'....I think Bo could do that. I know Gill could do that.

My biggest concern about Kelly is he seems to be a jumper. This is a dream job from Gill, and it sounds like it is also Bo's dream job as well. Yes, Kelly can win, but how long will he stay? What is his dream job?

I believe either Turner or Bo would stick around for a long time. I always hear people saying Bo would bolt to the NFL after a few successful years, but I don't believe it. I think he loves the college game, loves to teach the game and mold his players. I really don't see him as the type to want to orchestrate a bunch of b!tchy millionaires.

I think the passion that Turner and Bo have for NU and college football it what gives them the edge.

My biggest concern about Kelly is he seems to be a jumper. This is a dream job from Gill, and it sounds like it is also Bo's dream job as well. Yes, Kelly can win, but how long will he stay? What is his dream job?

I believe either Turner or Bo would stick around for a long time. I always hear people saying Bo would bolt to the NFL after a few successful years, but I don't believe it. I think he loves the college game, loves to teach the game and mold his players. I really don't see him as the type to want to orchestrate a bunch of b!tchy millionaires.

I think the passion that Turner and Bo have for NU and college football it what gives them the edge.

Obviously, they aren't the top choices- someone like grobe, johnson or kelly is.

If Bo or TG were Tom's choice, he wouldn't be wasting time and money on further interviews. He could hire TG right now, TG has no more games to play this season.

He could hire BO right now as well, announce it and Bo could finish the last regular game for LSU.

There's a reason that hasn't happened. TO's trying for the top guys!!

He can always get Bo or TG if he has to.

:bonez:bonez:bonez

I thought I heard somewhere Osborne has to interview several coaches which is why he's still interviewing. Something to do with the legality of all this since it's a State University?

I heard that too on here actually, he has to interview 4 or 5. But could do phone interviews. Hey I say if Grobe and Kelly want to talk to us WHY NOT! Like other people have said, we can get Bo or Gill as a backup.

Scott

College football is changing and the old NU style will eventually lead the team into mediocraty.

I'm not so sure. I've been giving this a lot of thought. As a lot of college teams have shifted to the West Coast Offense, defenses have adjusted by recruiting more speed and less size.

Not that every defender out there today is tiny, but I think there is a subtle shift there. Look at a lot of the better linebackers, e.g. Ali Highsmith is definitely on the small/fast side. He's effective against the WCO because he's quick sideline to sideline. Same thing goes for DL in my opinion. I think scouts look for speed first in ends especially. Guys that can get around the edges to pass rush and move east and west quickly.

As defenses get slightly smaller I wonder if they are becoming more susceptible to the power-running, three yards and a cloud of dust style of offense that would neutralize their speed and really wear them down as the game goes on. I'm not saying it's the ANSWER, and I still think the WCO can be very effective, as can the spread option, I just don't think it's a given that the "old style" will lead us back to mediocrity.

Obviously, they aren't the top choices- someone like grobe, johnson or kelly is.

If Bo or TG were Tom's choice, he wouldn't be wasting time and money on further interviews. He could hire TG right now, TG has no more games to play this season.

He could hire BO right now as well, announce it and Bo could finish the last regular game for LSU.

There's a reason that hasn't happened. TO's trying for the top guys!!

He can always get Bo or TG if he has to.

:bonez:bonez:bonez

Yes he could pull the trigger on Gill, however IF Bo is the guy TO is leaning toward he would have sked for there to be no announcement until after the SEC title game. Furthermore I think he feels he has to interview at least 4 or 5, just so he can come back and say - I feel he is the best fit for the job - To cover for the boosters pushing with their checkbooks.