My short Tom Osborne Story/Encounter

I've had a couple of meetings with Dr. Tom, business related, in the mid 80's.

However, I first met him in the mid 70's (yeah, I am old) when, as a young college student, I coached youth football in Lincoln. Well, who show's up on our team but Mike. Way back then, we didn't get much in the way of practice equipment. So, being the brash young college kid that I was, I called up the Coach. HE ANSWERED! I told him our plight and he agreed that I could come check out some blocking equipment. I had in mind a couple of hand dummies. So, I go to practice that night. During our warm up, the kids start acting funny. I start chewing 'em out. Mike points to the street. I turn. There is Dr. Tom, removing two of the BIGGEST line blocking dummies I'd ever seen from the rear of his station wagon. I hustled four kids, 2 on each dummy, to bring 'em over. I walked over to thank Dr. Tom. He shook my hand, and said "Work 'em hard" and "Good Luck"!

He later attended quite a few of the games (Mike was quite a good little receiver and his best friend was the QB) and Dr. Tom would stand quietly on the sidelines and just watch his son play. Nobody would bother him although everyone knew he was there. Some would wish him good luck as we'd leave after the game, and Dr. Tom would smile and nod or say thanks guietly. Mostly they just let him be and that was cool.

Later in the season, we played a particularly tough, close and exciting game, which we lost in the final seconds within yards of the goal line. After the game, I gave the kids the, if you gave it all you had (they had), then it's okay speech. Tom stood by the side with all the other parents. As we walked out I was quite clearly disapointed and dejected. Dr. Tom walked by with Mike and gave me a quick pat on the back and said, "It's okay. That's just the way it goes sometimes".

Funny, I've always remembered what Tom said. That's just the way it goes.

At the season's end, I returned the dummies. That's when I met Boyd Eppley. But that's another story!

Great stories..Although when I read about coyeote's Grandfather being in Madonna, I was thinking about her Sex video/coffee table book...I'm now guessing it's a home for old folks.

;)

I'd 1st seen Tom Osborn walking through Holdrege High school's halls when I was a JR. and My cousin was being recruited..Didn't get to talk to him, but do remember feeling like the earth was standing still..Sort of like when you're in the middle of an auto accident and adrenaline makes seconds seem like minutes.

I'd planned on walking on my Freshman year, but my dad died unexpectedly a month after I graduated HS and My Big Brother was killed in a car accident after my 1st week at UNL. (2 months later)..

The 1st time I actually talked with T.O. was a few months into my Freshman year..Some guys from my floor were playing a pickup game of football on the turf inside the stadium and I had just tried to show off by making too sharp a cut in my brand new Nike's, bending my ankle 90deg and making me holler pretty loud.

Tom had been jogging around the field and came over to take a look at my now, head-sized ankle, and said, "You might want to have 'em take a look at that at the Med Center"....or something like that..I don't even remember if limped after that.

A few years later, I was still on my 10-year plan (Still going to school) and one of my part time jobs was in the camera dept. of Shopko on 70th?..Tom came in asking for his pictures..I'd mentioned something about my cousin playing for him and going back to the CFL for one more year to get his retirement..Tom said, "Next time you talk to your cousin, tell him we still need him to finish his degree".

Then asked how my ankle was doing..(Kidding)

I met Dr. Tom in the mid 90's. He had just written another book and had a signing session at the University Bookstore in Lincoln. I had just got off of work and went down that ASAP. I was in my dirty, sweaty, torn up work clothes, and I felt like a total tool.

I met Ron Brown outside the stadium once, he was a class act.

I used to go the the film sessions at Holy Ghost Church. I bought a "coffee table" book about NU football, and as luck would have it Turner Gill was there and signed my book for me.

I met TO when I was a junior in high school. I was a cornhusker boys state at the university that summer and he came spoke to us. We had a week long flag football tournament during boys state and we were the champions so we got to play a game against all the counselors. This was a day I will never forget. They didn't tell us before hand but there were special geusts for that game. When we got to Cook Pavillion to play we were all in awe when we saw who was standing on the sideliines for the counselors. TO, Ron Brown, Scott Frost, and a couple other underclassman. Scott was the counselors QB and he just smoked us. I did get his flags a couple of times and even tackled him once accidently. TO and Ron just stood there and watched and tried to give moral support to us poor high school kids getting our a$$es handed to us (two of our other counselor were on footbal scholarship at VT and WV). After the game we all got to meet and shake TO's and Scott's hands and they were just so down to earth and personable. It was a great experience.

I'm enjoying this. These stories really remind me of all the "this one time I met/saw John Elway..." tales that I still hear around Denver all the time.

Nobody cares about that womanizing , cheating , used car salesman. Tom Osborne is a class act. Elway is a sleezeball. He was a hell of a QB though. Please dont ever bring Elway into a thread about Osborne. Next thing we know you'll be talking about Rae Curruth.

I was at Colby Ridge one evening with my 10 year old son and TO walked in to order some ice cream...my sons jaw dropped to the table. I told my son to take a napkin up and ask for his autograph...my son was pretty shy about doing this and hesitated while looking over with napkin and pen in hand...he stood up and then sat down really quickly again and said "dad, i can't"....TO overheard this and walked right over to my son and said he'd love to sign and autograph for him...I was completely blown away and my son never forgets to tell that story to all his friends.

TO is the man!

I was at Colby Ridge one evening with my 10 year old son and TO walked in to order some ice cream...my sons jaw dropped to the table. I told my son to take a napkin up and ask for his autograph...my son was pretty shy about doing this and hesitated while looking over with napkin and pen in hand...he stood up and then sat down really quickly again and said "dad, i can't"....TO overheard this and walked right over to my son and said he'd love to sign and autograph for him...I was completely blown away and my son never forgets to tell that story to all his friends.

TO is the man!

That's awesome. That is something he won't forget.

I'm enjoying this. These stories really remind me of all the "this one time I met/saw John Elway..." tales that I still hear around Denver all the time.

Nobody cares about that womanizing , cheating , used car salesman. Tom Osborne is a class act. Elway is a sleezeball. He was a hell of a QB though. Please dont ever bring Elway into a thread about Osborne. Next thing we know you'll be talking about Rae Curruth.

Wow, that reaction was certainly appropriate. Very impressive.

And you're right, Tom Osborne is a class act through and through, just ask Lawrence Phillips. Or you could ask the 1990 coaches poll... really, either one.

Wow, that reaction was certainly appropriate. Very impressive.

And you're right, Tom Osborne is a class act through and through, just ask Lawrence Phillips. Or you could ask the 1990 coaches poll... really, either one.

Barnett ring a bell? Leave our forum no one likes Colorado or our "rivalry" with you guys. Insulting TO is just not right.