IS TO TELLING THE RECRUITS WHO THE NEW COACH WILL BE?

Not only is this NOT out of left field, I think it is probably likely that this is exactly what is going on.

I think it would be extremely difficult for TO to sell any recruit on this program without any kind of assurance about the coach, or even the schemes or types of offense/defense they will be running, which would pretty much tip his hand anyway.

I really do believe he has made his decision and is giving the recruits enough of a clue that they know who the coach will be.

Not a chance, it would have been leaked by now.

At first I wondered the same thing. However after thinking about it, I don't think he needs to tell them a name. It seems most of the candidates or maybe all of them are going to run some kind of spread option offense. For the defense, I don't know that it really matters who the HC is.

TO named himself interim HC..'nuf said. Can no one see what is happening....TO interim status at HC could be a long term deal....with coach in waiting Turner Gill. See other thread Osborne coach again?

At first I wondered the same thing. However after thinking about it, I don't think he needs to tell them a name. It seems most of the candidates or maybe all of them are going to run some kind of spread option offense. For the defense, I don't know that it really matters who the HC is.

TO named himself interim HC..'nuf said. Can no one see what is happening....TO interim status at HC could be a long term deal....with coach in waiting Turner Gill. See other thread Osborne coach again?

You really are trying to convince people you're clueless, OKAY we get it! The regional center has internet access

With TO completing his certification to go on the recruiting rampage, I have to ask "is he telling those recruits who the new coach will be"? I think he would have to or at least give some percentages as to who is LIKELY to be the next HC. Then, if the kids are being told are they being sworn to secrecy by being told they will have their offer pulled if they leak?

I know I am WAY out in left field on this one... but if we are going to ask hypothetical questions, lets at least come up with some fresh angles.

I have to admit that the rumorville thread has been the best one of 2007... from firing Callahan to hiring "who knows who".

GO BIG RED! :bonez

wow, yeah, i would trust an 18 year old and swear him to secrecy........ :madash:madash:madash

yep, that is exactly what i would expect TO to do..... :madash:madash:madash

I think TO showing a kid he trusts him and telling he trusts him would make a great impression on both him and his parents. It could help him feel like more than just a piece of meat for a football team. I'm not saying I agree that TO is telling kids who the next coach will be, just that I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea.

What a stupid thought. Yeah, T.O. is telling recruits who the next coach is because 18 year olds can keep a secret much better than somebody's uncle's co-worker's friend who happens to know a booster.

If T.O. told any kids who the coach was today, we would all know by now.

I think TO showing a kid he trusts him and telling he trusts him would make a great impression on both him and his parents. It could help him feel like more than just a piece of meat for a football team. I'm not saying I agree that TO is telling kids who the next coach will be, just that I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea.

I dont know... it could be a test of character for the TYPE of player TO wants to recruit instead of the hyped up, over rated 4 star kids that BC got and lost in the same breath.

Hes probably just telling the kids to not worry and that there will be a

good head coach here soon. I am sure one of them wouldve squealed by

now if they had been told, who knows they might be starting some of these

rumors?

That could very well be... Thanks for being cool on this board. Jayhawk fans never cease to amaze me at their candor and poise and know what real sportsmanship is about, and I mean that about 99% of the fan base from the interactions I've had over the years coming to Lawrence.

Hope you guys get to a great bowl and I wish you had taken Mizzou to the wood shed, but their day is coming. Tie the tiger to the tree and bash it with a shovel!! :w00t

This might give some insight:

From LJS

Recruits enjoy visits from Osborne

BY BRENT C. WAGNER / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Nov 30, 2007 - 01:12:16 am CST

Sean Fisher skipped out of part of calculus class Thursday morning.

“It was kind of nice,” the Nebraska football recruit from Millard North High School said.

His reason for getting out of class wasn’t too shabby, either. You know, just talking some football with Tom Osborne.

Nebraska’s interim athletic director planned to recruit a few days this week, after passing a NCAA certification test that allows him to make visits.

Osborne talked with one-time Nebraska commit Trevor Robinson of Elkhorn on Thursday evening. Wade Robinson, the player’s father, confirmed Osborne visited their home, but declined further comment.

Lincoln Southwest’s Baker Steinkuhler previously spoke with Osborne on the phone, but said he has has no plans for an Osborne visit.

Fisher learned earlier this week Osborne wanted to speak with him.

“I was kind of excited,” Fisher said. “Obviously, he’s had a great deal of success, and it’s pretty cool to talk to somebody who won national championships.”

The 20-minute meeting at Millard North included NU assistant coach Shawn Watson, Millard North coach Fred Petitio and Fisher’s teammate, Brian Thorson, who has committed to Buffalo.

It will come as no surprise that Osborne wasn’t saying who the new Nebraska coach would be, although there was still a buzz in the hallways upon Osborne’s arrival. His message?

“He just wanted me to know that the coaching thing would be figured out shortly, and we’d have more contact once that happens,” Fisher said.

It was the first time Fisher had met Osborne. He was in awe of Osborne at first, but soon it was like talking with any other football coach.

Fisher mostly listened, but Osborne asked if Fisher remains fully committed to the Huskers. What was he going to do, tell Osborne no?

“The biggest thing for me is I just want to get the coaching thing figured out, so I can start to establish a relationship with whoever the new staff is,” Fisher said.

Omaha Westside running back Collins Okafor received a call from Osborne on Wednesday. They made no plans to meet in person, but Okafor looks forward to meeting the new coach to talk about what offense Nebraska may run.

“It was just like any other Nebraskan would tell you it was to talk to Tom Osborne — it was great,” Okafor said. “I’m sure he’ll pick the right guy for the job.”

Reach Brent C. Wagner at 473-7435 or bwagner@journalstar.com.