Passing Judgement?!

I've read several threads over the past few days. Some trumpeting the return of Bo as the return of the Messiah and some whining, "How can we possibly be any good with all these loser, no name, assistants and an unproven HC who appears to be a TO puppet?". Well I for one, am very excited at the possiblities and at the same time apprehensive regarding the unknowns...it's natural...I'm human.

BUT!!!

I, for one, will reserve my judgement until I see what kind of product gets put on the field. Seems like the least I can do.

What I was saying is that if they are right and Pelini is TO's puppet, who would you rather him be a puppet for? TO had a heck of a run. If he's the one in charge of the strings, how is that bad? I would rather Pelini be TO's puppet than lets say Pud or Clownahan's puppet.

Kind of like Bush is Cheney's puppet? I think that while TO still knows how to coach the game it has been ten years since he has actually coached and somethings have changed as far as the way defenses are constructed and recruiting etc. Just because TO had a great run doesn't mean he'd survive today's game. Look at Gibb's in Washington in the NFL. Hall of Fame coach that isn't getting the job done when he returns because the game has changed in his league as well. I know the NFL is a different league and I'm not trying to compare the style of play between the two just the way the styles have changed in each respective league. Now we can all hope that TO would adapt and he probably would to a certain degree but I don't think he'd have near the success now as he did during his run, with a conference title game, less scholarships and more premium speed and more competition in the conference, KU, ISU, KSU and Ok. St are no longer doormats that can be counted on as wins, etc.

What I was saying is that if they are right and Pelini is TO's puppet, who would you rather him be a puppet for? TO had a heck of a run. If he's the one in charge of the strings, how is that bad? I would rather Pelini be TO's puppet than lets say Pud or Clownahan's puppet.

Kind of like Bush is Cheney's puppet? I think that while TO still knows how to coach the game it has been ten years since he has actually coached and somethings have changed as far as the way defenses are constructed and recruiting etc. Just because TO had a great run doesn't mean he'd survive today's game. Look at Gibb's in Washington in the NFL. Hall of Fame coach that isn't getting the job done when he returns because the game has changed in his league as well. Now we can all hope that TO would adapt and he probably would to a certain degree but I don't think he'd have near the success now as he did during his run, with a conference title game, less scholarships and more premium speed and more competition in the conference, KU, ISU, KSU and Ok. St are no longer doormats that can be counted on as wins, etc.

Well...I'd rather not give credence to the suggestion by agreeing or disagreeing with your opinion because I don't believe that he is TO's puppet. And Dan...I agree with your comment to some extent but would add that "coaching is coaching". Either you have the ability to "teach" others...or you don't.

But again I return to my original comment and the subject of this thread. I'm willing to wait and see what BP puts on the fieldl before passing judgement on him and his staff.

I think there are some fairly thin skinned people on this board. I feel as though I've been characterized as a nay sayer, and I think I've been a realist. There are folks expecting a 9 win + season next year. I think that's an admirable goal, but an unreasonable expectation. I'd love to be proven wrong.

As for Bo Pelini, I'm not sure he was the right hire, but my opinion doesn't matter. Quite frankly I was on the fence between Pelini and Gill, leaning towards Gill but not invested either way. I have confidence in the assistant coaches, but I don't think there is one among them that already stands out in a crowd of other assistants. As I've said before I think we'll be a power again in 5 years, and I think those expecting a whole lot before then are going to be disappointed.

I'll add that I hope things happen more quickly that I expect, but I hate being disappointed. I'd rather set my expectations low (for a husker fan) and be surprised and happy when we are a power again in two years.

I think there are some fairly thin skinned people on this board. I feel as though I've been characterized as a nay sayer, and I think I've been a realist. There are folks expecting a 9 win + season next year. I think that's an admirable goal, but an unreasonable expectation. I'd love to be proven wrong.

As for Bo Pelini, I'm not sure he was the right hire, but my opinion doesn't matter. Quite frankly I was on the fence between Pelini and Gill, leaning towards Gill but not invested either way. I have confidence in the assistant coaches, but I don't think there is one among them that already stands out in a crowd of other assistants. As I've said before I think we'll be a power again in 5 years, and I think those expecting a whole lot before then are going to be disappointed.

I'll add that I hope things happen more quickly that I expect, but I hate being disappointed. I'd rather set my expectations low (for a husker fan) and be surprised and happy when power again in two years.

Fair enough...I don't have a problem with any of what you said but I think I harbor a bit more optimism than you. Maybe it's the rose colored glasses. Maybe I'm setting myself up for bitter disappoinment. I am one of those who believes there is talent on this team and with proper coaching they can and will get it done on the field. Ah...but therein lies the question. Can this NEW staff provide the proper coaching? We shall see. I'll keep myself warm this winter by believing they can. I suppose you...living in Tulsa and all...don't necessarily need that. :)

I think what some are taking for "puppetry" is excactly what the role of an AD should be: drawing an outline of what the athletic program should be all about, e.g., strong walk-on program, incorporation of tradition, etc. It is for the HC to fill in this broad sketch. I find no evidence that the relationship between TO and BP is anything beyond this.

Some trumpeting the return of Bo as the return of the Messiah

Of course he is! Did you not realize this yet?

Ok, ok, here... let me break it down for you--

Bill Callahan = BC

BC = Before Christ

There fore -- Bill Callahan came Before Christ

Bo Pelini! = The One!

:lol:

Funny, but it breaks down because we all know that TO is the Christ. And his 2nd coming has now taken place. Pedey and Cally are the Anti-Christ and his prophet. Bo must be the messenger of our Savior.