My theory on building dynasties...

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

The place we want to concentrate on if we are to become what we were is the trenches. You don't build a million dollar house and have stilts as the foundation.

The 4 & 5 star recruits we need play on the offensive and deffensive lines. Think about it TO spent 25 seasons building teams around great lines. Worked pretty good for him.

With a great line you can have 4 outcomes:

1. Not so good in the off the line positions. You still win lots of games.

2. Fair to good off line positions, 9 to 10 win seasons and a shot at number one most every year.

3. Good to great off line positions, one loss and no loss seasons and you play for the NC.

4. Great people at the majority of positions you have, '93, '94 and '95. Back to back NC's and only one loss in three years and that coming in the NC game.

Think it over.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

Anyone who knows football understands the front 5-7 on offense and the front 3-4 on D are the backbone to ANY team.... without winning the trenches, you are not going to win......plain and simple....so yes, you guys are absolutely correct. We need to build great lines on both sides of the ball and have quality depth..

Yes, I am very concerned about losing the OL-DL recruits......you can always find "athletes" to fill RB-LB-DB positions......

I thought the OL didn't improve this season as many hoped and the d-line was horrible..... Our LB's took a beating on this board, and a lot of it was deserved for lack of effort and missed tackles......but , without a good D-line, those LB's are in a lot of trouble. If we can't control the other teams OL, then the LB's have to possibly take on an OL- lead FB - and or TE, and then make a tackle on a Big 12 caliber RB......furthermore, without a good DL, LB pursuit angles are cut-off, making it difficult to react and pursue the way you want....

this could have something to do with why our LB's didn't perform like last year....the major fault was the front 4 !!!!

As for the decomittments, Givens hurts the worst by far IMO..... Never was really impressed with Robinson (not sour grapes either)...watched him a few times, unimpressed for the most part, and have relatives in Crete who watched him closely and weren't overly impressed either.... As I stated on other threads, Hoch is a man-child and my family knows him personally....really hopes he picks NU (we need you Dan)..... I look for him to move to DL instead of OL....played much better on D than O last season..... His success will be determined on how his attitude goes.....super nice kid and works hard....needs to develop a "killer" instinct in order to be successful at DI...