words from Bo

np_husker

Some words from Bo

Bo Pelini spoke Thursday night on the Husker Sports Network.

Not much new information was revealed by Nebraska's head football coach, but he did say a strength coach would be in place when the team has its first meeting in January.

"I've been working through a lot of different guys, talking to a lot of different gentlemen about the job," Pelini said. "Once it happened that the players were out of town, and they were going home for the holidays, I was really able to take my time, and sort through it and make sure I made the right choice."

Pelini said he will have some sense of a depth chart when spring football opens, but that all players will get a look.

"Everybody will be given a chance to show what they can do. It's very similar with how I went about it the first time I came to Nebraska.

"You can't really evaluate it too much off of old tapes ... because I don't know what they were being asked to do or what schemes they were running. We'll make up our own minds and there will be some position changes and that kind of thing. But over the long haul, we've got to find guys that are ready compete and play football and go win football games."

He was asked if the culture of Nebraska has changed much since he left here four years ago.

"Obviously the culture of Nebraska is what drew me back there," Pelini said. "It's a special place with special people. I think it's a very unique atmosphere the way the whole state rallies around the program and bleeds Husker red. And I think that's what makes it special and I don't think that will ever change. I think there's an air out there of excitement, and we need to draw upon that and get people excited about our football program again. Because it was obvious to me that was missing and obviously I think that was why the change occurred."

"You can't really evaluate it too much off of old tapes ... because I don't know what they were being asked to do or what schemes they were running. We'll make up our own minds and there will be some position changes and that kind of thing. But over the long haul, we've got to find guys that are ready compete and play football and go win football games."

I believe the name of the scheme we were running was called "Don't tackle anyone".

Might be worth sliding Larry Asante and Roy Helu to LB..... likely slot is at Will linebacker.

Helu to LB? Are you crazy? First of all, Helu is waaaay to undersized, he would just bounce off the players he tries to tackle, secondly, he's a very good runner with shifty moves and will be a great back for us in the future.

Asante to LB however is a great idea and one that I hope happens.

Might be worth sliding Larry Asante and Roy Helu to LB..... likely slot is at Will linebacker.

Helu to LB? Are you crazy? First of all, Helu is waaaay to undersized, he would just bounce off the players he tries to tackle, secondly, he's a very good runner with shifty moves and will be a great back for us in the future.

If Lucky's back, Nebraska is absolutely loaded with depth at RB..... Castille, Glenn, Wilson, Mendoza, Okafor, et al.

And, Roy Helu came to NU as either a linebacker or running back, as I recall.

So, no, I'm not crazy. :lol:

If Lucky's back, Nebraska is absolutely loaded with depth at RB..... Castille, Glenn, Wilson, Mendoza, Okafor, et al.

Well, after looking at Helu's recruiting page, there isn't any evidence of him being looked at as a linebacker. He played mainly the offensive side of the ball, and was rarely seen on the defensive side (if at all) and I would guess that coaches were recruiting him as a running back as that's what he was projected at and played at. My guess would be that if he was told he was going to be a linebacker, he would probably transfer.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/viewprospect.as...mp;pr_key=49784

Also, Okafor isn't a lock at all, he's a soft verbal right now and has publicly been shopping around at other schools. So who knows what's going to happen with him. You can never have enough running backs.

So yeah, you might be a little crazy. :)

Well, after looking at Helu's recruiting page, there isn't any evidence of him being looked at as a linebacker. He played mainly the offensive side of the ball, and was rarely seen on the defensive side (if at all) and I would guess that coaches were recruiting him as a running back as that's what he was projected at and played at. My guess would be that if he was told he was going to be a linebacker, he would probably transfer.

Also, Okafor isn't a lock at all, he's a soft verbal right now and has publicly been shopping around at other schools. So who knows what's going to happen with him. You can never have enough running backs.

That may be..... chuckleshuffle

Helu did play safety in H.S., so he could slide over to D.......... that's all I was saying initially, it "could" be a possibility for Bo to consider (keeping that loaded runningback-field in mind).

That may be..... chuckleshuffle

Helu did play safety in H.S., so he could slide over to D.......... that's all I was saying initially, it "could" be a possibility for Bo to consider (keeping that loaded runningback-field in mind).

:thumbs Agreed. Guys forget, all these guys played all over the field in H.S., I can't wait to see the new staff find out the right pegs for the right holes...