Random thoughts at seasons end

While watching the bowls, specifically the Rose Bowl, I am SOOOOOOO happy that NU has changed its offensive/recruiting philosophy. Man, what were TO/FS thinking (winning conf and Nat. Championships), I HATE to see an all-purpose qb put up 150yds/4tds on the ground while throwing for another 180. WOW, that Wet Soap O was so much better than the garbage that Mack runs. I cant wait for these 'pro-style' (ie slow-footed, trodding) qbs get to NU. BTW, didn’t CU and KSt shove a little option football straight up coz-worthless and co's collective backsides this year?

Man, that outdated play sucks.

Seems like NU got another 'vaunted' recruit. DL Ola Dagunduro, a JUCO '4-star' (whatever that means [tongue buried firmly in cheek for the sarcasm impaired]), who was ripped from such highly prestigious schools as CSU, Marshall, San Diego St, and U-La-La. He may be good, he may suck, all I know is that last few JUCO DL’s NU has got haven’t been worth a crap, so I guess we'll see.

I sure am glad that pud decided to hire an awesome coach that went to a Super Bowl (then got blown out and went 4-12) instead of hiring a guy like Urban Meyers or Kirk Ferentz or Bob Stoops or (GASP) Bo Pelini. Man, it would suck to have a guy that actually has a clue on the sidelines, but I’m sure that the guy who has managed achieve a stellar winning percentage of just over 45% for his career, even though he has yet to show the ability to do the most difficult things (such as call plays that his players can run and figure out a system to get plays to his qb) will lift this program back to the pinnacle of college football.

I know that we dont know how good Pelini would have been, but I can guarentee that he would never had gone 4-12, or even 5-6 for that matter.

Its funny that while the Birkels and other non-starters were transferring, that some people didnt seem to care. But I wonder what some of ya'll think know that a team captain and a honors candidate CB have left? Funny, if these guys really bought into cals and cos's systems, why did the OWH quote Marvin Sanders, and why did Sanders know more about Fabian than the new staff?? Also, why did Barrett Ruud say that he learned alot about football "LAST YEAR" but he failed to mention how much he learned this year?

pud really did it this time. I sure am happy over the 5-6 record this year, and how much progess it showed over last year's 10-3, what was I thinking??????

Since you put your foot in your mouth again, If you would have heard the reasons why Washignton is leaving because of family problems with money. He had nothing but good things to say about the coaching staff and where it is headed. he said something special is going to happen. Did not bad mouth the program what so ever, so go root for Ohio U!!!!

Since you put your foot in your mouth again, If you would have heard the reasons why Washignton is leaving because of family problems with money. He had nothing but good things to say about the coaching staff and where it is headed. he said something special is going to happen. Did not bad mouth the program what so ever, so go root for Ohio U!!!!

Since comprehension is not your strongsuit, I will level with you. I never said, in this post why I feel that he left. It is just funny that everyone was saying they didnt give 2 squirts when the 3rd stringers were leaving. Just curious what the reaction is now that 2 prominent playmakers have left.

Of course, excuses, excuses, excuses.

Since comprehension is not your strongsuit, I will level with you. I never said, in this post why I feel that he left. It is just funny that everyone was saying they didnt give 2 squirts when the 3rd stringers were leaving. Just curious what the reaction is now that 2 prominent playmakers have left.

Of course, excuses, excuses, excuses.

2 prominent playmakers leaving? I assume you're talking about Ruud (senior) and Washington?

I'm thrilled that Fabian is leaving, and I hope he does really well in the NFL. I'm not thrilled to be without him next year, because he'll be hard to replace, but it shows what little talent these great coaches had to work with. Remeber guys like Raiola, Green, Fonoti, guys who actually had the talent to leave when they were juniors? Those were great days, right? Now we have a guy leave for $ reasons, to take care of his family, so there must be some sort of conspiracy? Also, Auburn runs a variant of the WCO, and they just finished the season undefeated. USC runs a variant as well, and look where they're at. There's not 1 style of WCO, there are many, many different types, and one of them has produced a NC, a potential NC and 2 Heisman winners the last 3 years. Mack Brown even uses a WCO variant in Texas. He wasn't able to beat slow-footed Jason White this year with Young at the helm though. I'll enjoy watching the title game tonight with 2 'slow footed, trodding' QB's battling each other, knowing that we're gonna be there in the near future.

Former Fan,

I can buy into some of the points in your post. I am a fan of the option/power/play action pass type of game that we have seemed to abandoned at all costs.. Maybe that is why I was so pissed at times this year.

On the other hand, athletes make the system work... Horses win the race... We had numerous dropped passes, errant passes all over the place, consistantly failing to scan the field..... These are the athletes not responding.... Let's give the system a chance with a "true" WCO qb, WR whom can actually run routes and catch consistantly, and linemen who are recruited to pass block (the line did pretty well considering).

In my book, the jury is still out on BC, but to compare him to Ferentz and Stoops at this point in unfair... Remember, Ferentz sucked it up for at least 2 years before he got "his type" of players.... Stoops hasn't always been a genius..evened used John Blake recruits to win NC... Both are top notch coaches and I would love to have either one, but who is to say the BC won't be near their quality when he gets kids to run the system.....

Coaches can't run, throw, block, catch, tackle,etc.... Only kids can do the job between the markers..

With that said, I think BC was dumb enough to lose a couple of games with his ridiculous play calling...ISU-KSU-SMU

How was that for riding the fence :woo

In my book, the jury is still out on BC, but to compare him to Ferentz and Stoops at this point in unfair... Remember, Ferentz sucked it up for at least 2 years before he got "his type" of players.... Stoops hasn't always been a genius..evened used John Blake recruits to win NC... Both are top notch coaches and I would love to have either one, but who is to say the BC won't be near their quality when he gets kids to run the system.....

Great point HANC, give him another year or two. Also might I add, Stoops has not won "the big game" with his own recruits yet!!

If Nebraska was still runnig the option, they wouldn't get half the recruits there getting now. Solich was simply, in my mind, not innovative with the option. In the college game, you have to continually develop your offense. Solich and his staff stuck to what Osborne gave him and never evolved it. You have to be so creative all the time.