Position Changes?

rkhufu7

:corndance

No way should Niles Paul go to the D. We need him in 09 to be an experienced receiver. I am willing to bet that not to many freshman recruits will be able to memorize WCO routes quick enough to be impact players in 09. So that leaves Niles to probably be one of our best receivers at that point. Don't get me wrong... I am not saying that the other receivers we have, are recruiting, or will recruit are not as good as Niles Paul. All I am saying is that the odds look good that in 09 he will be a great receiver. To good to switch to CB. :restore

I think everyone needs to calm the thinking down that Niles is a future stud at WR.

We also need to stop the thinking that in our new offense players will not be able to contribute as early. Callahan was never willing to dumb the offense down to get players to contribute early, which kept better players behind more experienced ones who only had an advantage in time played.

I think everyone needs to calm the thinking down that Niles is a future stud at WR.

We also need to stop the thinking that in our new offense players will not be able to contribute as early. Callahan was never willing to dumb the offense down to get players to contribute early, which kept better players behind more experienced ones who only had an advantage in time played.

First of all there is no reason to dumb down the offense. The offense is working. Second, you always put your best players on the field and so did BC. It just so happens that experienced Junior that has ok talent is just as good as a more talented freshman who has never played against an entire team of talent compared to what they were up against in high school. So why dumb down the offense when you can let that more talented player develop into the offense. I don't think anyone is over rating Niles. I know all I was saying was that he needs to stay at WR so that he will develop the skill he does have and combine that with experience so by the time Swift is gone he will be there. You can never have enough experienced receivers . Even in a dumbed down WCO.

:boxosoap

Well it just depends on your definition of dumbing down the offense.

I have numerous NFL and Div-1 playbooks that are almost unintelligible to me and the NFL WCO playbooks are well over 1000 pages. And yes I have a copy of BC’s offense he ran at the Raiders and if it is remotely similar to what was ran here then yes they need to “dumb down the offense”.

As when I played at USD we had time constraints mandated by the NCAA stating players could only have 20 hours per week in football related activities. The more complicated the offense is the more difficulty the players have understanding the terminology and schemes.

Joe Montana even said it took him almost 8 years to truly understand the WCO. When I started coaching HS football I went to numerous coaching clinics taught by HS, College and Pro coaches and in every clinic I went to the # 1 consensus was the WCO is way to “High Tech” for the college and HS level it takes to long to develop the players before they graduate.

Offenses should be based off the K.I.S.S. principle. Bear Bryant would not run a play in a game unless he ran it 300 times in a practice; execution is the key not the size or complexity of the offense.

I have been real busy the last few weeks since I took a coaching position with the new Fairbanks Grizzlies IFL team trying to understand the basics of this arena style offense quickly. Its 8 man football and all the coaches and players played college ball at some level but even with all that experience most of all us are spinning like tops trying to remember all the motions and the 100s of formations and the terminology. It’s similar to a variation of a spread WCO. The time constraints placed on the players and coaches is very tough, we all have full-time jobs, most have families so I can’t see if I was in college how I could only spend 20 hours a week with this offense and be able to intelligently understand it.

Curyenski played at Leander, a 5A school outside of Austin. It is one of the state's 5 toughest districts and better teams. He will be playing somewhere if used right! Niles Paul is a great talent, but 14-5A has loads of kids like Paul at P-ville and Stoney Point. Either one or both would be great at CB because of speed, size and hands!

While I agree Texas has plenty of talent I think you are over-generalizing here. Paul will be a good receiver and did as well as anyone at the Army All-American game. He had worked out with Ahman Green and the Packers before his senior season and they couldn't believe he was still in high school. Paul will get his chance to shine.