A Johnny Rodgers story

I know that Eric didn't really have the greatest career but he is one of the nicest people i've met that was a former Husker .

Really??

I would think being a Heisman Trophy Winner would constitute a decent career.

I'm sorry I meant his NFL career if you even want to call it a career. Sorry MCAT

I know that Eric didn't really have the greatest career but he is one of the nicest people i've met that was a former Husker .

Really??

I would think being a Heisman Trophy Winner would constitute a decent career.

I'm sorry I meant his NFL career if you even want to call it a career. Sorry MCAT

the NFL thing didn't gell, he played some canadian ball and now he's going to be part of the AAFL.

CrouchKatzWade.jpg

2001 Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch, center, poses with Marcus Katz, left, CEO of the All American Football League® (AAFL) and Jim Wade, league executive, Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2007 in Los Angeles.

The AAFL reached a deal Tuesday for Crouch to play in the league. (AP Photo / Mathew Imaging, Mike Tran)

good luck with that, eric.

ok,ok,ok. It was a class act following up and getting to book to you.

But I'm a little sick of everyone in Nebraska bending over for JR. It's been 37 years, and he is still living off his past. This is the person who held up a gas station. He ponded his heisman, then sign autographs and got some boosters to give him money to get it back. What has he really done with his life or for Husker football after his career ended?

treeman, did you read his Ben's story, that's what he's doing. Like someone said he own's a sports bar here in omaha, and does a lot for the area kids. Everyone fu#*$ up now and again, god knows i have. Don't jump up so quick to throw him under the bus for some stupid mistakes. That makes me want to puke. You talk about him living off his past...but isn't that what your doing right now? Living off his past?

p.s That's an awesome story Ben thanks for sharing!

ok,ok,ok. It was a class act following up and getting to book to you.

But I'm a little sick of everyone in Nebraska bending over for JR. It's been 37 years, and he is still living off his past. This is the person who held up a gas station. He ponded his heisman, then sign autographs and got some boosters to give him money to get it back. What has he really done with his life or for Husker football after his career ended?

I can see your perspective here...he was in a spanish class I took my freshman year. Later that summer I was visiting an old girlfriend in Colorado...Her dad was talking about a player named Johnny Rodgers who robbed a liquor store, but was still able to play against Missouri just days later. I said, "oh yeah, I know Johnny, he's in my spanish class." He replied, "No...this was more than 20 years ago,"... "I know," I said, "same guy."

With all of that said, the man was Nebraska's first Heisman trophy winner. Many Nebraska football heroes have returned home after mediocre to no success on the professional level, and I too sometimes feel like they can overstay there welcome. However in this instance, JR did the right thing...I'm thinking I might have to swing by his bar today, throw a couple back and see if he remembers me from Spanish class.

Thanks bennychico11. Nice to hear some good things about JR.

IMHO, Johnny attempts to do the right thing, even if he's not always successful. He at least tries to be a good guy.

32748.gif

JR just opened Jets All Sports Bar & Grill at 32nd & Harney in mid-town Omaha.

As I recall, quite a few years back JR opened a "Jet's Big Red Lemonade" business at football games in Memorial Stadium, but that must not have worked too well because it didn't last long.

On a more personal note, I've known a relative of JR's through an association at college, and that unique perspective on JR differs from some of his "public persona". Some positive and some negative..... just like most of us.