being held back by the system?

redpimpin'

What do you mean held back?

My guess is that he means "did not achieve their potential" and if that is his test, then virtually everybody would have been held back. I think Octavien could have been one of the greatest linebackers at NU with the proper system and tutelege. His vision and athleticism were awesome.

Anyway, I think our D-line will be greatly improved upon during this upcoming season. I think there is a lot of talent there and there have been flashes of brilliance, but no consistency. I think they were the most underachieving unit under Cosgrove last season.

I know many of us, including me, where concern about B.C. hiring Cozgrove from day one, based on his defenses at Wisconsin. And I agree his defenses weren't that great there, but it seems it got so much worse last year. You could say his defenses at WI and N were average at best until last season when they were way below average. Did he just completely stop coaching? Did he lose total confidense in himself? Literally, he was once an average D.C. who turned into a absolutely horrible coach.

What goes? Was it a lack of inpiration from B.C.? Bad assistants under Cozgrove? I would say it's a combination of probably many things. For the most part, with the exception of a couple of coaches, the staff was average at best. They did an adequate job during years two and three. Then last year, when things went bad with USC, this staff must have started to doubt themselves and continued to lose confidence. And the players had to feel that attitude. By the time Osborne was hired, it seemed like the staff had given up. The staff showed no emotion coming out of the tunnel and no emotion on the sideline. I never seen a staff look so lost as it was last season. As we have said many times, much of it has to be blamed on S.P. and B.C.

What was it with S.P.? He was supposed to be one of us. But for some reason, he had a vision that was so different than what had made Husker football great. I would say, and lot of people probably would agree, he hired B.C. out of desperation. (What was he going to do if B.C. hadn't gotten fired and also since it appeared no one else wanted to work for that man?) B.C. is great designer as an O.C., but he doesn't know jack about defenses and just isn't H.C. material. Ok, I'm done. Let's move on. This chapter in Husker history is over.

Honestly, I think it had more to do with motivation and wanting to play than it did scheme. Scheme was probably part of it, but I think towards the end a lot of the guys on that side of the ball just weren't into it.

If you think it was the motivation that was lacking, what do you think was the game that broke them? USC or Ball St.? I suppose it could be a combination of the two, but somewhere in those two games the defense just tore apart at the seams and never recovered.

I would have to agree that it was more motivation than scheme, but the scheme was at least partly to blame. What Cosgrove tried to do (and didn't do) against Missouri was beyond my comprehension. Why did he eliminate the joker position? Why? WHY? Culbert rocked Missouri at that position the year before. Water under the bridge now I guess.

If you think it was the motivation that was lacking, what do you think was the game that broke them? USC or Ball St.? I suppose it could be a combination of the two, but somewhere in those two games the defense just tore apart at the seams and never recovered.

I would have to agree that it was more motivation than scheme, but the scheme was at least partly to blame. What Cosgrove tried to do (and didn't do) against Missouri was beyond my comprehension. Why did he eliminate the joker position? Why? WHY? Culbert rocked Missouri at that position the year before. Water under the bridge now I guess.

I think it was the Missouri game . . . the defense played with at least a LITTLE spark against Iowa State, making interceptions. They came in expecting to do well against Missouri and got their helmets handed to them by a team that was far superior. Add to that, the offense didn't exactly do much to help them out, failing to score a touchdown. I think that was when they gave up.

And looked what happened the next week . . . 38-0 at halftime. :bang

Anyway, I think our D-line will be greatly improved upon during this upcoming season. I think there is a lot of talent there and there have been flashes of brilliance, but no consistency. I think they were the most underachieving unit under Cosgrove last season.

Agreed. The LBs took the most criticism, but I really thought the D-Line was the worst unit on the defense. Part of the problem was having four brand new starters, plus we played USC so early in the season and got steamrolled. It had to have destroyed any confidence they had. After that point Cosgrove was completely incapable of getting their motivation back up.