Why Does ESPN Hate Nebraska So Much?

Is it the down-to-earth graciousness Nebraskans possess? kindness? willingness to help others? Is it because they aren't about flash and pizazz, but dedication and hard work? Why do commentators like Kirk Herbstreit have such contempt for a state that has done nothing to them? I would love to know.

Nebraska football has won 13 games in the past two seasons and has still managed to be part of two ESPN Gamedays.....how is that hate?

Is it the down-to-earth graciousness Nebraskans possess? kindness? willingness to help others? Is it because they aren't about flash and pizazz, but dedication and hard work? Why do commentators like Kirk Herbstreit have such contempt for a state that has done nothing to them? I would love to know.

Nebraska football has won 13 games in the past two seasons and has still managed to be part of two ESPN Gamedays.....how is that hate?

That's a very solid point. If anything, they have shown more love than deserved. I used to get pissed by a slight from ESPN, but now I couldn't care less. Who cares, we get a ton of local media attention and once the Huskers start winning games again, the attention will come back.

I wish I could have seen the meltdown everyone talks about involving Herbstreit. That would have been funny

ask and you shall recieve

it's been posted a lot here, i think a thread had this up might be on the first or second page now.

Thanks, but they have youtube blocked on our system over here. Maybe I can watch it when I get home next month.

LOL..OK OK!!!!! I get it....No one cares.

We as fans might not care but I can almost guarantee that a lot of recruits tune into ESPN and the bashing there isn't a good thing.

NU won 4 games last year. Why would NU get national press? How many times can they report we have a great fanbase that has sold out the stadium for over 30 years? How many times can they tell the story about the Blackshirts? Yes it's all special to us, but they only have so minutes in a program, they need to talk about the teams doing well. Winning 4 games is not doing well.

We as fans might not care but I can almost guarantee that a lot of recruits tune into ESPN and the bashing there isn't a good thing.

I highly doubt that factors into any recruits decision. It's about the coaches and the players relationship with them. Not what some talking head on the TV says.

I highly doubt that factors into any recruits decision. It's about the coaches and the players relationship with them. Not what some talking head on the TV says.

ESPN did a really good job of bashing Notre Dame this past season and I thought no one ever bashed TD Jesus. All of our teams at some point will be criticized by their commentators, it is what they get paid to do. The trick is to not run out and get all offended when you know all too well that it is coming.

Honestly I don't think their reporting is too terribly slanty. The only thing that I cringe at is how every year as the BCS approaches they will talk about the greatest college football team of all time. I feel that the 71' and 95' Husker teams don't get enough love in that discussion.

Aside from that, what has there been to love about Nebraska since 2001? A 10-3, or 8-4, or 9-5 season? That's as good as we've got to offer during that time. That's not really praiseworthy. In 2001 we shouldn't have gone to the BCS title game. It wasn't NU's fault, but you can't knock the critics for complaining about it.

I'm quite confident that in coming years we will get plenty of love from the national media if we stop sucking.

NU won 4 games last year. Why would NU get national press? How many times can they report we have a great fanbase that has sold out the stadium for over 30 years? How many times can they tell the story about the Blackshirts? Yes it's all special to us, but they only have so minutes in a program, they need to talk about the teams doing well. Winning 4 games is not doing well.

I thought it was five wins, sheesh even I as a person that thought very little of the coaching staff and west coast schemes wouldn't begrudge him his 5-7 records or should I say records. chuckleshuffle

ESPN has some bad and stupid people, but I would say the persecution they see against Nebraska is probably no better or worse then most other school. Indiana fans are probably saying the same thing since ESPN talking about their head coach and his scandal.

I don't think ESPN as a whole, hates the Huskers. However, I can point out at least one of many who I have NEVER heard say anything good about us....Mark "GAY" May. Everytime the Huskers are brought up in his presence, he bashes. I'm sure there are more to single out but he is the one that really grinds my gears....cause he is an idiot!