Osborne might be in hot water

vdandy

This story was just posted at the DN: http://media.www.dailynebraskan.com/media/...h-3231465.shtml

Sarah Pavan, the most decorated female athlete in NU history, has left the volleyball team under circumstances that have a former teammate and some Husker fans critical of the coach and the Athletic Department.

Last week, Coach John Cook told Pavan she could no longer practice with the team after an interview the four-time All-American gave to Redwire, a magazine published by the College of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

In the article, Pavan said with each award her volleyball skills attracted, she felt more alone, frustrated and cut off from teammates, some of them envious.

Does anyone think this is going to affect the rest of the athletic department, especially the football team?

there is absolutely no connection between sarah p and TO. What are you talking about!? And what do you mean will this affect the football program? If my car breaks down, my co-workers still arrive to work on time right? However, I am not above anyone, so if you have the facts that prove your claim/questions, please pass them along and I will take back what I just said.

I suppose. I don't know too much about the situation, however, so I won't jump to conclusions yet...but sounds to me like Coach Cook is a complete douche. That said, I'll temper that with the disclaimer, there's probably more to this than I know.

I will say that the apparent turmoil surrounding the volleyball team is very, very troubling.

(edit) - Actually, there's nothing that would make me think this was given Osborne's okay. But again, I can't say. In any case, this blows me away. Pavan and Holloway both left. I remember Holloway's reasons were "personal." Now, it makes me wonder.

I think it is the responsibility of the head coach to approve/deny any media contact if he/she needs to. Since the article mentioned above says Sarah p was punished by Cook, to me that means the coach did not know she did this interview...since he did not know and punished Sarah p after he found out, to me that shows that the coach would have prefered that Sarah p talk to him before being interviewed. This leaves the punishment and decision making to coach cook, not TO. If sp was still here, there might be a chance that he would have micro managed the situation...but not TO. IMO.

He knew the story was being written. He talked to Redwire and gave them an interview and talked at great length about her.

So she knew it was being written.

And explain to me why the PR Machine should have control over how everyone acts and talks? These are humans, after all. Not just people meant to make more money for the AD.

By AD I meant athletic department, excuse me.

I think you should be allowed to fairly criticize a government institution such as the athletic department, especially if you are on the team. That's usually how democracy works.

But if they live in a place where fear and paranoia strike them whenever they might want to say something about shady practices or maybe someone breaking the law, why would they come out and say it?

Think UW's football scandals that the Seattle Times just reported. That's some heinous stuff. Who would ever come forward to talk about it if they knew they'd get in trouble for speaking the truth?

Sarah is in the wrong here and Coach Cook really made the right move.

Rule 1A of being an athlete:

Don't hang your teammates out to dry, especially in the media.

Sarah did this, obviously without addressing the coach or the team about her frustrations and how she felt. She essentially threw them under the bus for nothing they were aware of. Now she doesn't want to apologize for her mistake.

Also, how exactly is she "kicked off" the team? I thought she has already used up her eligibility as a player?

This has nothing to do with Osborne at all...this is a internal team matter. Cook can do what is best for the team. If Pavan feels isolated, it is her own doing in my mind. I don't know what is going on there, and hate to jump to conclussions, but any awards that she would get would be welcomed I am sure by the rest of the team, as Pavan is a huge part of that team.

I just read the article and the one thing that really stands out is the following item.

"Cook, who has won two national championships at Nebraska and sports a seven-year record of 217-15, strongly discouraged any more reporting on the issue.

"If you don't stop doing it," Cook said, "I'm going to call over to the journalism college and get this straightened out."

Does the coach now run the Journalism college, or is he just censoring it? All world class colleges have the vollyball coaches running the academics.

I could see how free thinking college students would run afoul of a coach with this kind of mentality.......

Perhaps Dr. Tom should have a sitdown and discuss how these types of statements also give a black eye to the University.

That's ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Absolute, absolute crap.

Although, I don't see how this puts Osborne in hot water.

It's under his watch. I mean, he would be the ultimate authority on whether or not this happens. Right?

It depends. It's fact that he has or had his hand pretty deep into the football program in Bo's early days. If he wants to micro manage the volleyball team he would be the "ultimate authority"

Otherwise, that's why you have a volleyball coach. It's his team, let him deal with it. It makes no sense to me why Osborne would be in "hot water". :wtf