Osborne might be in hot water

vdandy

Sarah is in the wrong here and Coach Cook really made the right move.

Rule 1A of being an athlete:

Don't hang your teammates out to dry, especially in the media.

Sarah did this, obviously without addressing the coach or the team about her frustrations and how she felt. She essentially threw them under the bus for nothing they were aware of. Now she doesn't want to apologize for her mistake.

Also, how exactly is she "kicked off" the team? I thought she has already used up her eligibility as a player?

I don't get it either, anybody care to explain?

Sarah did this, obviously without addressing the coach or the team about her frustrations and how she felt. She essentially threw them under the bus for nothing they were aware of. Now she doesn't want to apologize for her mistake.

Also, how exactly is she "kicked off" the team? I thought she has already used up her eligibility as a player?

I don't get it either, anybody care to explain?

She is not being allowed to practice with the team. Since she has signed a contract to play professionally in Italy, practicing would benefit both her and the NU team. Personally, I think Cook is a little of the top on this one, given what I've read.

This story was just posted at the DN: http://media.www.dailynebraskan.com/media/...h-3231465.shtml

Sarah Pavan, the most decorated female athlete in NU history, has left the volleyball team under circumstances that have a former teammate and some Husker fans critical of the coach and the Athletic Department.

Last week, Coach John Cook told Pavan she could no longer practice with the team after an interview the four-time All-American gave to Redwire, a magazine published by the College of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

In the article, Pavan said with each award her volleyball skills attracted, she felt more alone, frustrated and cut off from teammates, some of them envious.

Does anyone think this is going to affect the rest of the athletic department, especially the football team?

Why on earth would this have anything to do with Osborne or the football team? A player on a Husker team is unhappy - big deal, it happens all the time and means nothing bad about the A.D., or Husker sports in general.

I have always been a fan of Pavan and I'm sorry to hear this negative stuff, but sounds to me like a new poster to the board is trying to drum up trouble and make something more than it is.

uhhh....wasn't Sarah a senior last year?

Yes - her eligibility is gone. But it's common for former players to practice with the team. Imagine the benefit of practicing against someone like Sarah? It would be like the football team taking on a few pros. Besides, Sarah is turning pro in May, and the practice would help her too. I really don't see Cook's reasoning here.

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you throwing Coach Cook under the bus on this one couldn't be more wrong. You either have no idea who he is or what he's about, or you have no idea what it's like or what's needed to run a program like the volleyball team.

What do you people think - it's a democracy out there? Get real! It's a dictatorship, and that's the way it has to be. He's in charge of kids, and one particularly moody, irrational kid at that. The fact that Sarah is a tremendously gifted athlete and scholar in NO WAY allows her to throw her teammates or her coach under the bus. She is entirely in the wrong for having given these quotes to this "reporter."

Let's look at the last couple of months here. The team that by all accounts is Cook's most talented team ever goes into the Regionals and drops an egg against Cal. Scant weeks after this, without warning, Holloway bolts. Pavan graduates, then unloads a few choice words for her teammates in an article, in which she alleges jealousy against her for all the successes she had. This comes out of the blue, mind you, with no motivating factor from the program impelling these comments to become public whatsoever. Cook is left without a setter for the upcoming 2008 season, plus he would have no way of competing in Spring Ball without the sacrifice of yet another graduated Senior, Maggie Griffin.

Pay attention to the fact that NONE of this "controversy" occurs without Pavan's comments to the "reporter." Griffin came in to put a bandage on the wound left by Holloway, and while all is not right with the team it's at least functioning and practicing, which is better than we could have hoped after Holloway left. Into that functioning situation Pavan tosses in her wholly unnecessary two cents, and here comes the controversy. Cook is left to do damage control in an already difficult situation, and he does what he can.

How is that Cook’s fault? The coach has to do what is best for his team. Decisions have to be made, and at times those decisions will be unpopular. He has to think of the WHOLE TEAM, not just Sarah Pavan. She is a distraction, and her influence can be divisive to a team that is in some serious trouble already with the abrupt departure of Rachel Holloway. It was not only necessary but a wholly correct decision to remove the problem from the team.

Cook is one of the most successful coaches in volleyball history. He has a proven track record of managing and motivating. His resume is beyond question. But now everyone is so ready to believe the comments from Pavan calling Cook into question? Excuse me?

Get a clue, you Cook bashers. You certainly have no idea what you’re talking about so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Those of you throwing Coach Cook under the bus on this one couldn't be more wrong. You either have no idea who he is or what he's about, or you have no idea what it's like or what's needed to run a program like the volleyball team.

What do you people think - it's a democracy out there? Get real! It's a dictatorship, and that's the way it has to be. He's in charge of kids, and one particularly moody, irrational kid at that. The fact that Sarah is a tremendously gifted athlete and scholar in NO WAY allows her to throw her teammates or her coach under the bus. She is entirely in the wrong for having given these quotes to this "reporter."

Let's look at the last couple of months here. The team that by all accounts is Cook's most talented team ever goes into the Regionals and drops an egg against Cal. Scant weeks after this, without warning, Holloway bolts. Pavan graduates, then unloads a few choice words for her teammates in an article, in which she alleges jealousy against her for all the successes she had. This comes out of the blue, mind you, with no motivating factor from the program impelling these comments to become public whatsoever. Cook is left without a setter for the upcoming 2008 season, plus he would have no way of competing in Spring Ball without the sacrifice of yet another graduated Senior, Maggie Griffin.

Pay attention to the fact that NONE of this "controversy" occurs without Pavan's comments to the "reporter." Griffin came in to put a bandage on the wound left by Holloway, and while all is not right with the team it's at least functioning and practicing, which is better than we could have hoped after Holloway left. Into that functioning situation Pavan tosses in her wholly unnecessary two cents, and here comes the controversy. Cook is left to do damage control in an already difficult situation, and he does what he can.

How is that Cook’s fault? The coach has to do what is best for his team. Decisions have to be made, and at times those decisions will be unpopular. He has to think of the WHOLE TEAM, not just Sarah Pavan. She is a distraction, and her influence can be divisive to a team that is in some serious trouble already with the abrupt departure of Rachel Holloway. It was not only necessary but a wholly correct decision to remove the problem from the team.

Cook is one of the most successful coaches in volleyball history. He has a proven track record of managing and motivating. His resume is beyond question. But now everyone is so ready to believe the comments from Pavan calling Cook into question? Excuse me?

Get a clue, you Cook bashers. You certainly have no idea what you’re talking about so far.

Well put knapplc... I certainly wish the fan boards were used with a little more responsibility. It isn't there for "freedom of speech", it's for fans to discuss their team, not Gossip about them or Start something that isn't there.

:) have a nice day

I don't follow volleyball very closely, but it seems like an unbalanced story. Lines like "has left the volleyball team", "could rejoin the team", and "sudden dismissal" don't make it very clear that her eligibility is gone.

Reading the original story, it sounds like both Pavan and the team are best off parting ways. Good luck to her in Europe.

Tying this to Osborne is ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

Just what i was thinking