Velander

I don't what you guys think but I think Paul Velander needs a scholly, he plays more than some of our schollys and maintains a 4.0 gpa. Sadler was going to bring in 2 guys and there has been some talk about one guy going to be academically inelgible, if so I think he should give Paul a scolarship for his senior year next year. What do you guys think?

From- Omaha.com

Men's Basketball: Walk-on scorching for Huskers

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Casual fans probably see no apparent reason for Nebraska guard Paul Velander's recent shooting outburst.

NU's Paul Velander, maneuvering in February against Iowa State's Sean Haluska, has responded to increased playing time by heating up from 3-point range. He's shot 48 percent on treys in his last seven games.The junior walk-on has hit 17 of 35 3-pointers (48.6 percent) in the past seven games. In the Huskers' 25 previous games this season, he was 18 of 52 (34.6 percent).

But as NU (20-12) prepares for Monday's National Invitation Tournament second-round game at Mississippi (22-10), think back to Feb. 23 and the Huskers' upset of then-No. 22 Texas A&M.

That's the day point guard Cookie Miller suffered a severe shoulder sprain.

His absence for the next three games, in a roundabout way, settled coach Doc Sadler's substitution pattern.

Sek Henry had to slide from the wing to play long minutes at point guard. That meant Velander left the bench earlier each game to alternate with swingman Ade Dagunduro — and Velander took advantage.

"It helps a guy to know when he's going into a game," Sadler said. "Now, we've got Paul and Ade playing off each other, Sek and Cookie at the point, and Steve (Harley) and Jay-R (Strowbridge) working together at the other wing."

Velander said his confidence in his shot isn't any different during the current hot streak than before. But another form of confidence has factored into his play of late.

"People talk about a player's confidence," Sadler said. "But a lot of times the more important thing is a coach's confidence in a player. I'm confident in Paul."

That's another reason Velander has been on the floor more, hitting 5 of 9 3s at No. 6 Texas, 3 of 6 against No. 5 Kansas in the Big 12 tournament and 3 of 5 in NU's first-round NIT thrashing of Charlotte.

Velander says the current confidence level swings both ways.

"I really have a lot of confidence in our coaches' game plan," he said. "Offensively, when we stick to the plan and hit shots, we do well.

"It's the same on defense. Our coaches know what they are talking about. Somebody congratulated me on a good defensive play the other night, and I said, 'The coaches told me to be at that spot, I was there and the ball came there.'"

Being smart enough to follow a plan is easy for Velander.

He's a first-team academic All-Big 12 pick, though good grades for the biology major don't come easily.

"Paul is an overachiever on the court and in the classroom," Sadler said. "There's not a plane trip or a bus ride where, when everybody else is asleep, that he doesn't have a book open."

Velander's father, Bill, is chairman of the department of chemical and biomolecular engineering at Nebraska.

"Grades can come and go," Paul said. "Just because you work hard doesn't mean you get good grades. But I appreciate the honor. It means a lot because I put a lot of work into it."

Velander's father previously worked at Virginia Tech, which is Nebraska's potential third-round NIT opponent.

"I lived there for 18 years," Paul Velander said. "We've still got a lot of friends and neighbors there. And I've got a high school teammate who played at Virginia Tech, so we're hoping to see each other."

I wonder if Doc will redshirt him, he said no one is out of the question to redshirt, or if Paul wants to, since he is a walk-on, but who knows

what? :dunno

why/when would he redshirt?

next year, Doc said anyone could rest, starter or bench warmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Velander just got a scholly

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10355826

NU Men's Basketball: Guard sheds walk-on label

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

• On the Web: NU Men's Basketball

RELATED

• On the Web: NU Men's Basketball

LINCOLN - One pleasant development has emerged out of the misery in the Nebraska basketball office over the botched recruitment of Roburt Sallie.

Nebraska's Paul Velander, right, trying to drive past Iowa State's Sean Haluska last season, averaged 4.0 points a game last season and shot 37.1 percent from 3-point range.Paul Velander, a three-year walk-on, will go on scholarship for his senior season.

"He's obviously deserving of that," NU coach Doc Sadler said Wednesday. "Sometimes, one's misfortune has a way of allowing you to do the right thing, and that's to give Paul a scholarship."

Velander averaged 4.0 points a game last season and shot 37.1 percent from 3-point range.

The 6-foot-2 guard from Blacksburg, Va., has earned his teammates' respect for persevering through painful ankle, foot and shoulder injuries. Velander has played in 59 games with one start, and scored a career-high 20 points in 2007 against Oklahoma State.

Nebraska's two-man recruiting class for 2008-09 - Sallie and 6-11 center Christopher Niemann - currently is at zero people on campus.

Sallie can never play because his brief enrollment in classes in 2006 violated a Big 12 rule. Niemann, from Germany, has met NU's entrance requirements but still must go through the NCAA's general clearinghouse and its extra review process for international players.

Sadler said Niemann is scheduled to come to Lincoln in August. Two players from the same German club team as Niemann, one from Iowa State and another at Washington State, were forced to sit out one full season before becoming eligible.

Nebraska, with one scholarship and several campus visits still available, continues to recruit for the coming season.

"I'm going to know something probably Friday on a kid," Sadler said.

One source said the Huskers looked into getting a visit from a 6-5 wing player.

Late-summer recruits aren't all just leftovers.

Nebraska secured Venson Hamilton, an eventual Big 12 player of the year, out of prep school in late July 1995 after he improved his standardized test score.

In Sadler's first season, Sek Henry came the first week of classes in August 2006 from prep school. Henry started at point guard down the stretch last season when the Huskers were the most productive.

"We're looking at those kinds of guys, or a transfer," Sadler said. "There are still some kids, too, who signed at other programs, and then coaching changes took place and they got a release."

• NOTES: Sadler said no one in the basketball office has had duties changed or been reassigned as a result of the mix-up with Sallie's recruiting. As for any other athletic department job changes because of it, Sadler said he's not aware of any. . . . As reported a month ago, NU still has three openings on its schedule for 2008-09. "I think you'll see a lot of movement on scheduling from about Aug. 1 to Aug. 10," director of operations Chris Croft said.