Husker Youth Experience

Today's the day I get to take my 8 year old to Husker Youth Experience. This is the day that 500 youngsters get to go through some football drills with the players and coaches and I GET TO WATCH SPRING PRACTICE.

I'm bringing my camera and I'll file a report when I return.

Anyone else going?

I've taken my sons to the Husker Youth Experience every time they have had it. Bo runs a practice a whole lot different than the previous regime. Bo's is alot more like I would assume practice should be. Each team getting reps, lots of hands on teach and lots of enthusiasm from both coaches and players.

Today, the players were in pads and they had a controlled scrimmage. Not a whole lot of tackling, but enough hitting to make it interesting. There was a little skirmish between Lydon Murtha and Barry Turner. The players and coaches quickly separated both, and each took off on laps around Tom Osborne field.

Here are the players that stood out.

Receivers

Curenski Gilleylen Man, is this kid fast and made some really nice catches out on his finger tips

Niles Paul made probably the catch of the day on a sideline route and pass from Ganz.

Menelik Holt caught everything thrown his way.

Chris Brooks dropped a sure td pass, but otherwise, shows promise.

OL

Lydon Murtha is lean. Not an ounce of fat on that guy.

Matt Slauson, he may have lost some weight between January and the start of spring practice, but he's got a ways to go.

Jaivorio Burkes is really solid at tackle. This kids got tons of ability.

Linebackers

Latravis Washington was going with the first unit at outside linebacker. He made a couple of stops, but the thing that sticks out is he got an earful from Bo during the scrimmage.

Phillip Dillard looks alot more comfortable after dropping the weight, he'll be solid.

Blake Lawrence really needs to add some size. He doesn't look very big at all, if he's 225 pounds, I'll be very surprised.

RB''s

All the running backs looked pretty good at times. Cody Glenn and Quintin Castille really stood out. Marlon Lucky didn't scrimmage, he was riding an exercise bike on the sidelines for a while, is he hurt?

Marcus Mendoza was back catching punts and didn't look comfortable at all catching the ball. Don't expect to see him back there.

The guy who stood out the most was LB coach Mike Ekeler, that guy ran around more than any player. He was jumping up and down when one of his LB's filled the hole and made a play and he's running towards the players even before the play is over to either praise the players or instruct them on how to do things better. He's just a load of energy and someone I'd really like to play for (if I wasn't too old and out of shape).

I took a ton of pictures and I'll post a link to them later. (right now, I can't find the cord to connect the digital camera to my computer. )