Sandro DeAngelis

Hey guys, thought you might want an update on a former husker. I play football every sunday at 3pm at the millard south game field. Well after the game i noticed a guy kicking field goals that really knew what he was doing. Im a pretty fair punter so I stayed and practiced a little. After a bit, him and I were the only ones left. I was getting ready to leave when i noticed he was laying on his back so I went over to make sure the dude was ok. I'd feel bad if i left and that guy was having a heart attack. So anyway, we get to talking and i find out its Sandro DeAngelis of the Cornhuskers. He's been playing for the Calgary Stampede for the last 4 years. He said his wife just finished pharmacy school so they are going to be moving up to Calgary permanently.

He's an awesome guy, very likeable. I asked him some questions about how someone would break into the CFL or NFL and he was very helpful.

From the CFL website:

2007: Calgary Stampeders

DeAngelis continues to be one of the most consistent kickers in the CFL as he was again voted the team's Outstanding Special Teams Player. He currently sits second with an 83.9 field goal percentage, connecting on 26 of 31 attempts. One of his highlights this season was on Aug. 4 vs. Edmonton, when DeAngelis connected on a 34-yard field goal with no time remaining to seal the victory for Calgary 34-32.

2006: Calgary Stampeders

In a record breaking season, DeAngelis finished the season as the league leader in points (214, which is 4th all-time in Stampeder single-season history), kick-off number and yards (84 for 4,762 yards) and field goals made (56, first all-time in Stampeder history and 3rd in the all-time CFL record books) and attempted (65)…DeAngelis was the Stampeders’ nominee for the CFL’s Most Outstanding Canadian and was the 2006 winner of the John Argo Award for the league’s most Outstanding Special Teams Player…Was named a CFL, Western Conference and CFLPA All-Star…DeAngelis was named the Rogers Special Teams Player of the Week four times (Week 3,4,9 and 15) and captured the Rogers Special Teams Player of the Month for July...Had his long kickoff of 78 yards against Edmonton on September 4, 2006… Long field goal of 53 yards came on August 12, 2006 vs. Montreal.

2005: Calgary Stampeders

DeAngelis led the league in field goal percentage (76.9%) connecting on 40 of 52 field goals…he finished 2nd in the league with 179 points and kicked the longest field goal of the season in the CFL from 56 yards…he finished 3rd in the league with a 58.9 kickoff average...in his rookie season Sandro was named to the CFL Western All-Star team and CFL All-Star team…he was also named Player of the Week twice in Week (9 and18).