CB Bernard Bolden

Player: Bernard Bolden

Hometown: Merced, CA

Position: Cornerback, also can return, and lined up as RB and WR, along with punter

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 175 lbs.

40 time: 4.45 secs

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Washington St, Colorado, California, Arizona

Schools of Interest: Nebraska, Washington St, Colorado, California, Arizona, Fresno St, Arizona St, Oregon

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report: :star:star:star #41 CB

Assessing the talent:

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%, still early

Teammate offered- http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26272

• 5 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Super Preps / Husker Journal gives us an update:

BERNARD BOLDEN, CB, 5-10, 175, 4.45, MERCED, CALIFORNIA

“Right now I like three or four schools. So far I like Arizona State, Oregon, Nebraska and Washington. I haven’t decided if I will visit these schools yet.” Said Bolden

“I was looking at some literature Nebraska has sent me, the books. I get mail from them about every week. Nebraska contacts my coach about me.” Bolden said

“I haven’t set anything up with Arizona State, but I will probably visit them. They are up there.” Bolden said

“I like them (ASU) quite a bit, I like coach Christain he’s a cool dude. We get along well. I like him quite a bit.” Bolden added

“I like Coach Campbell (Oregon) he’s a cool dude too.” Bolden said

“I like Washington State staff,” Bolden said. “They told me that they needed me.

“It doesn’t matter if I stay in the area. I probably won’t take all four or five visits. I’ll probably take the visits when the season is over. I don’t have any favorites at the moment. I’m looking for early playing time and I want to check out the school’s majors.” Bolden said.

“I look at a lot of these schools on the Internet. It doesn’t matter what commits they get.” Bolden added

• 1 month later...

Apparently the reason we have not heard more is because of the academics:

Merced teammates hitting the books

Merced (Calif.) has three of the top prospects in the state, all with multiple offers from schools all over the country. Unfortunately, all three players still have work to do academically before they can move on to the next level.

Cornerback Bernard Bolden, tight end Kenneth Cooper and defensive end Nathan Mayfield are all big time players and rank among the top athletes in the state.

Bolden earned 1st team all-state underclass honors by CalHiSports.com a year ago and is holding offers from schools like Oregon, Nebraska, Washington State, Colorado and Arizona. Cooper earned all-state underclass honors two years ago and has offers from Miami, Oregon, Nebraska, Arizona, Arizona State and Colorado to name a few.

Mayfield has offers from Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Colorado, Washington State and Nebraska and of three, is the closest to being a qualifier right now.

"All three are in the same boat but Nathan has the best chance to make it," Merced coach Rob Scheidt said. "He actually had a trip set up with Arizona State for this weekend but ASU decided they wanted to wait on his test score before tripping him in.

"I'm still hopeful they'll make it but they have a lot of work to do. We should find out their first semester grades in two weeks and I think that will tell a lot. All of those schools that have offered have kept in contact and want to see how they did last semester in order to determine how far away from qualifying they still are.

"All three are great players and can play for anyone. I've never had a group quite like them but it just shows how important academics are. If they have to go the JC route, that's what they'll do.

"I don't think the prep school thing will work since we don't have any around here and it's expensive to fly out across the county. I'm sure if they play JC ball for two years, they'll have all those same options and then some because they're such talented kids."