Need Opinions Please...HELP

Well..my television finally decided to stop working...or should I say..the volume doesn't work. It did this last week or so and I switched channels to see if it was just the station that I had on previously and it started working again. I have had it a long time and I don't want to put any more money into getting it fixed. Am going shopping for a new one this weekend and would like to buy a high definition one. Will probaby go to circuit city maybe urners. Any recommendations on what brand to look at? The tv will be in our bedroom and it doesn't have to be huge. Thx for any and all help:) Much appreciated.

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer are usually right at the top of any best of lists. Anything under 42 inches will be an LCD set. LG can be hit and miss depending on the model, same with Hitachi. Vizio, Westinghouse, and similar brands are cheaper than the first four brands, but will generally have slightly worse color and response time(response time can be a big issue with sports as some cheap LCD sets will have a motion blur around fast moving objects. I have seen some where you see a trail following a thrown football)

Now for a little bit that may be confusing. I would say a 720p resolution set would be the best for what you described. 1080p is only worth the money if you have either a large TV or sit very close to the set, otherwise the human eye can not tell the difference. And as almost all HD programing comes in 720 as the native resolution, you dont gain much, and 1080p is a big step up in money. The only things that put out a true 1080p signal are Blu-Ray players(including the PS3) a handful of Xbox360 games, or if you have a computer outputting to the set.

I would stay away from 1080i sets all together.

I would also say that you should look for one that can accept all signal resolutions(480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p). being able to accept all signals means that anything you may ever want to hook up to it at a later date(and who thinks 10 years out) will work just fine with the set.

Any other questions?

without getting into technicals, which I'm sure would just confuse you, I think it's safe to say stay away from this brand...unless you just need something simple, cheap for the kitchen or something. If you and your family are interested in a great looking TV to watch Nebraska football or movies in HD to AND you want something that will last you....look to more of the known name brands (Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba)

strigori's comment about the HDMI input has to do with getting the best quality signal into the TV. HDMI is the cleanest way of plugging your HD Digital cable box or DVD player into your TV...and yes you'll notice the quality difference if you go back and forth between it and your normal yellow RCA plugs (called composite)

I would suggest going to Circuity City or Best Buy and just take a look at all the TVs yourself. Unfortunately they don't always run HD only stuff on their TVs...but at least you'll be able to A/B the TVs yourself. Look for TVs with lots of connection options and ones with a high contrast ratio (comparison of the brightest white to the darkest black). Look out for TVs that are labeled EDTV...that's a different format altogether.

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer are usually right at the top of any best of lists. Anything under 42 inches will be an LCD set. LG can be hit and miss depending on the model, same with Hitachi. Vizio, Westinghouse, and similar brands are cheaper than the first four brands, but will generally have slightly worse color and response time(response time can be a big issue with sports as some cheap LCD sets will have a motion blur around fast moving objects. I have seen some where you see a trail following a thrown football)

Now for a little bit that may be confusing. I would say a 720p resolution set would be the best for what you described. 1080p is only worth the money if you have either a large TV or sit very close to the set, otherwise the human eye can not tell the difference. And as almost all HD programing comes in 720 as the native resolution, you dont gain much, and 1080p is a big step up in money. The only things that put out a true 1080p signal are Blu-Ray players(including the PS3) a handful of Xbox360 games, or if you have a computer outputting to the set.

I would stay away from 1080i sets all together.

I would also say that you should look for one that can accept all signal resolutions(480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p). being able to accept all signals means that anything you may ever want to hook up to it at a later date(and who thinks 10 years out) will work just fine with the set.

Any other questions?

Mmmmmm..

Why does the aluminum foil help the rabit ears with reception when they're facing N or S, but not E or W?

Hmmm...don't know what to think....this morning my hon turned on the tv and the sound is working....go figure:)

It's called the mute button ;)

Just kidding, if you're still looking towards a new TV, I'd suggest Samsung. I've only heard great things about them plus they just look great.

Well..my television finally decided to stop working...or should I say..the volume doesn't work. It did this last week or so and I switched channels to see if it was just the station that I had on previously and it started working again. I have had it a long time and I don't want to put any more money into getting it fixed. Am going shopping for a new one this weekend and would like to buy a high definition one. Will probaby go to circuit city maybe urners. Any recommendations on what brand to look at? The tv will be in our bedroom and it doesn't have to be huge. Thx for any and all help:) Much appreciated.

:dunno Brands are brands. Look on the internet at sites that offer "refurbs" I've never been disapointed and the price is always great.

T_O_B

without getting into technicals, which I'm sure would just confuse you...

I think it'd be a little too technical for you :: Bill Callahan accent ::

But, for what it's worth, I own a Westinghouse and haven't had any problems with it yet. Great picture, okay sound, easy to use...the only complaint I have is that there is a delay from the time you hit a button on the remote to the time it is recognized by the TV.

If that's the only problem I have with it, I think I'll survive...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...don't know what to think....this morning my hon turned on the tv and the sound is working....go figure:)

It's called the mute button ;)

Just kidding, if you're still looking towards a new TV, I'd suggest Samsung. I've only heard great things about them plus they just look great.

Sounds fishy to me! My husband plays jokes on me when I spend too much time in the kitchen.