OU Players arrested for cocaine

The Daily Oklahoma is suing Conradt

Journal Star

OKLAHOMA CITY — The publisher of Oklahoma’s largest newspaper and one of its sportswriters have sued a University of Texas employee who admitted posting a bogus article on the Internet about two University of Oklahoma football players.

The Oklahoma Publishing Co., which publishes The Oklahoman newspaper and newsok.com Web site, filed a civil lawsuit Monday against James W. Conradt, a Nebraska football fan who works as a service manager for UT’s information technology department.

HG Take: We think Darth Husker’s actions clearly show that he needs a hobby. We also don’t really find the humor in the ‘parody.’

That being said, we are surprised how far this has gone. Are lawsuits really necessary at this point? Does anyone out there really believe the fake Sam Bradford and Landry Jones story? If anything, Darth Husker’s misdeed’s have received far more attention than the original phony article. He has also been skewered from across the country, from OU and Nebraska fan sites alike, and on HG on this classic post.

And I’m sure this has been extremely difficult on this family.

He’s guilty of bad judgment and a bad sense of humor.

But, I think it’s time we chill out and consider the public humiliation of James W. Conradt appropriate punishment for his misbehavior.

http://huskersgameday.com/2008/07/15/corn-...oklahoma-paper/

HG Take: We think Darth Husker’s actions clearly show that he needs a hobby. We also don’t really find the humor in the ‘parody.’

That being said, we are surprised how far this has gone. Are lawsuits really necessary at this point? Does anyone out there really believe the fake Sam Bradford and Landry Jones story? If anything, Darth Husker’s misdeed’s have received far more attention than the original phony article. He has also been skewered from across the country, from OU and Nebraska fan sites alike, and on HG on this classic post.

But, I think it’s time we chill out and consider the public humiliation of James W. Conradt appropriate punishment for his misbehavior.

He ABSOLUTELY deserves to be sued. First - he stole trademarked logos and mastheads of the newspaper - those mastheads and logos are part of the identity of the newspaper. He also used the byline of an actual reporter, damaging his reputation and credibility. The reporter is also rightfully suing.

Conradt - DarthHusker - is simply a fool.

He ABSOLUTELY deserves to be sued. First - he stole trademarked logos and mastheads of the newspaper - those mastheads and logos are part of the identity of the newspaper. He also used the byline of an actual reporter, damaging his reputation and credibility. The reporter is also rightfully suing.

How could you not notice that the URL was not legit, though? The article never appeared on the Oklahoman website. I think the most disturbing thing about this is that those radio stations in Texas began reporting this without even checking up on the source.

The dude went too far, definitely. But so is the newspaper.

And so if the reporter wins the suit his credibility and reputation are restored?

And so if the reporter wins the suit his credibility and reputation are restored?

No. And if a drunk driver crashes into you and causes you to lose a leg, do you sue to get your leg back? One sues to recover financial damages and to punish the wrong doer.

No. And if a drunk driver crashes into you and causes you to lose a leg, do you sue to get your leg back? One sues to recover financial damages and to punish the wrong doer.

The guy made an image that he hosted on his own site.

The ones who really did the damage in this case are the media sources that ran with the story without checking their sources. In this case, it should have been pretty much immediately apparent that the article was a spoof. Why isn't the newspaper suing the radio stations that propagated the false story? James Conradt would never have gotten this attention without them. I certainly don't think he intended to have the situation blow up like this.

Yeah, I tend to agree with that ^.

The one place where I thought he really overstepped his bounds was using real reporters, and a real cop's name, if he did. That is the thing that would blur the boundaries between intending parody and intending actual reputation damage.