What ISU fans REALLY think of Husker fans…

There’s been some fun chatter on the ISU boards concerning Husker Fans (apparently some Big Red fans electronically gang-raped some blogger who intimated that ISU had a good chance at taking Nebraska this year in football) so I thought it would be fun to share the good, bad and the ugly on what Cyclone fans really think about Husker fans

THE GOOD

I agree that there are more good than bad Husker fans. We made the trip to Lincoln in '05 and tailgated around Husker fans. Had a great time with 'em. They borrowed some space on our grill, we drank shots of peppermint schnapps out the rear of their inflatable sheep.

I think that's part of why games in Lincoln have been mostly good experiences for me - the majority of the fans are fairly football knowledgeable. Last time we went, my wife and I were in the NE high school coaches section and all the kNU fans around us were decent. That was the 2005 2OT game, which other than the outcome, was great. They weren't even easily provoked by my sailor's string of obscenities on the way out of the stadium (a little out of control that day, I must admit...) I do have a picture of the scoreboard when we were leading 13-10

I've been to Memorial Stadium four times. In 99 and 01, NU fans were pretty cordial because they knew the games would be a romp -- and they were. In 2005, there were several NU fans after the game that literally apologized that their team won. They knew NU had no business winning that game. In 2007, they were pretty reserved...more of a wait-and-see attitude before the game.

Nebraska was just a great game, great fans.

THE BAD

Sat in the hillside back in 2000 or something for an ISU-Nebraska game - many Husker fans around us and not a one that seemed decent, nor intelligent.

Nebraska fans are notoriously delusional. I guess at least they have some basis for delusion (in comparison to iowa fans). I actually think that nebraska should be one of ISU's easier conference games...slightly tougher than KSU and Baylor.

there is also a 3rd type of fan in the state, and those are the folks from the hinterlands of nebraska.... the small towns and ranches/farms of that 7 hour void between lincoln and cheyenne. Since we're using broad paintbrushes in the thread, let me elaborate. These people worship all things husker and will drive 6+ hours to watch a spring game. They despise big cities and yet think Omaha is the greatest in the world. Academically, they think UNL is Harvard, Cal Tech, and MIT combined. They don't recognize the fact that the football players are 18-21 year old student-athletes, they are the pro-team of the state (unless the said athlete gets good grades and makes some "academic team", which gives them something else to brag about). They don't get outside of NE much, so they are nearly dumbfounded when interacting with someone who is a fan/alum of another big 12 school. They still have "back-to-back '94-'95 national champ" stickers on the backs of their trucks and horse trailers. They don't even acknowledge NU basketball, although they will check and see if Creighton won on occasion. They have recently become husker baseball fans. How do I know this? I basically lived it for nearly 4 years while I lived in western Neb. on my first job out of grad school. Thank god I was only a few hours from Denver.

We tailgated all day with NU fans in 2006, complete strangers. They were great until the alcohol set in. Then they became absolute a-holes. They were our best friends then they turned ugly and mean, it was wierd.

THE UGLY

Nebraska fans are actually some of the best if you ask me, at least the ones in Nebraska. The ones that hang out of message boards and in other parts of the country are the ones that make discussion with them impossible.

Just like any fanbase, there are a good chunk of the delusional crazies around. Some of my favorites are the people wearing the "Order Restored" t-shirts around. What exactly they are basing this restoration off of, I am not sure.

If the Callahan era will be remembered for stars (highly rated recruits) then the Bo era may be remembered for bars (welcome back criminals). The state is currently rejoicing that felony robbery charges against DE recruit Josh Williams have been reduced to misdemeanors. He has since joined the team in Lincoln. Also, starting TE Hunter Teafatiller remains with the team after his THIRD arrest for driving under the influence. This is of course after Bo announced his 'zero tolerance' policy last winter LOL. I suppose we should credit Bo for suspending OL Andy Christensen when he was arrested for second degree sexual assault.

And then there was this one that pretty much summed it up for me:

We road tripped to Devaney this year. We went to Ruby Tuesday's for lunch, and one little boy said to his dad, "Dad, look, CYCLONES!" It was awesome

Don't worry though...I defended you all and that was even after I learned that you tailgate out of the rear of inflatable sheep...just keep your distance in the locker room fellas... <_<

Well here you go, Cy, post this on a Cyclone board if you like.

As a Husker fan I have nothing but respect for ISU. If there's anyone in the conference I want to succeed (outside the Huskers, of course), it's the cyclones. I respect the hell out of Coach Mack and what he did for that program. It's a shame the wheels had to fall off the wagon the way they did. Every experience I've had with Clone fans have been good ones. I hope Chizik can get something together. As for the bad Husker fan experiences a few report, well, that's unfortunate, but you throw alcohol into most any situation––especially highly emotional ones like Nebraska football––and bad stuff can happen. But I think most Husker fans are pretty level-headed folks. Tis true hope springs eternal, but lots of Husker fans are as realistic and practical as they come. I don't see much need for animosity between the programs.

So enough with the fan on fan bullsh#t. Have a great season all you Cyclones. Do us all a favor and smack Kansas in the mouth.

Cy - nice points you made there.. thanks for reiterating a lot of well known points, and sharing stories

Cy: say Huskerfan , you got a point ?

Huskerfan: uuh no man not on me

Cy: (scoffs) <_<it'd be a lot cooler if you did

a little Dazed and Confused ref. for ya there buddy ;)

Anyways...before I got kicked off Cyclonefanatics (nothing to do with Clone/Husker rivalry. I was debating with a moron Hawkeye fan about the manhood of their players after their stints in lock up...frankly, I would NOT be dropping any soap around a Hawkeye football player) the general consensus was

Nebraska Fans are probably the most knowledgable football fans in the league

Nebraska Fans are generally regarded as cordial

ISU fans do NOT usually fear for their lives when visiting Lincoln

Nebraska Fans are a touch arrogant (but usually with the caveate thrown in that they deserve to be)

The only real gripe that gets any serious air about Nebraska from the Clones is there is a distinct impression that Bo is getting a lot more hype than Chizek even though they have strikingly similar pedigrees.

Oh...and fact is, this will probably be that point in time where the two teams are probably most evenly matched. Nebraska advantage is more talent on the field but the talent will be playing under a new system and will have some bugs to work out. ISU has less talent on the field but have worked the bugs out of Chizek's system and will be a lot more confident.

This WILL be a good game for once. Probably come down to where the officials mark the ball.... :clap

I have to make a point here and remember I'm from Iowa and have been in Iowa my whole life...............The guy making fun of the people that live out in the middle of nowhere and pull around horse trailers has me laughing so hard it's ridiculous. WE LIVE IN IOWA MORON! We are not on the east or west coast or located in a huge population center and to be honest are just as sparsily populated as Nebraska?! I find it funny that people from Iowa will refer to people from Nebraska as hicks, farmboys, etc. when our states are so much alike. :wacko:

I have to make a point here and remember I'm from Iowa and have been in Iowa my whole life...............The guy making fun of the people that live out in the middle of nowhere and pull around horse trailers has me laughing so hard it's ridiculous. WE LIVE IN IOWA MORON! We are not on the east or west coast or located in a huge population center and to be honest are just as sparsily populated as Nebraska?! I find it funny that people from Iowa will refer to people from Nebraska as hicks, farmboys, etc. when our states are so much alike. :wacko:

Yes...but WE have a tree!