Nebraska ranked 42 by NY times and new Carl Pelini interview

hadn't seen the interview with carl, pretty impressive. When he said "i won't lie" i totally thought he was going to follow with something along the lines of "it is a lot of pressure." He totally caught me off guard! Ole Carl might even have more attitude than the younger bro.

Yeah, I didn't know much about him either but I love the confidence.

Agreed. I love that the confidence is not expressed as arrogance. Carl P. was very impressive in that interview --- articulate, thoughtful, displayed realism and a real sense of leadership. This is a good sign. I know many (myself included) thought his hire was a little, well... he is the coaches brother and so, is that why he is here? He will have to prove himself and he seems like his attitude is right. More power to him, I hope, of course, that he becomes a legendary coach of excellence.

What kind of attitude would you hope your defense exhibits?

CP: I go back in the 1990s when other teams stepped on field here and knew that it would be four quarters of hell playing against the Blackshirts. We want to see our guys showing a lot of effort and being really physical and aggressive. I believe as offenses have evolved over the last few years, defenses have become more finesse-oriented. But I still think you can play the spread offense and still be physical.

A little bit of the interview. That was a great answer.

Nebraska was ranked 42 by the NY times today by "the quad" blog

here are a bunch of other news and link to the new carl pelini interview

http://huskersgameday.com/2008/07/18/corn-...iday-july-18th/

Missed the Husker Board shout out:

Where do Cornhusker fans congregate: There are tons of great message boards for Nebraska fans, but the best of the best are Huskers Illustrated, Big Red Report, Husker Board and Huskerpedia. For local newspaper coverage, check out the Lincoln Journal-Star and the Omaha World-Herald.
Position battle to watch: I think the battle to watch is at linebacker, where Nebraska looks to replace three departed starters. The middle seems to be tied up by the junior Phillip Dillard, who started two games a season ago, making 37 stops. On the outside, a handful of walk-ons (the senior Tyler Wortman, the sophomores Thomas Grove and Kyle Moore) are fighting it out for playing time with the sophomores Blake Lawrence and Latravis Washington and the redshirt freshman Austin Stafford. Lawrence and Washington played sparingly as freshmen a season ago, but are the likely favorites when fall camp opens in August. One name to watch out for when the season comes around is the incoming freshman Will Compton, who should find himself on the two-deep either inside or on the strongside before the end of the season.

Did they forget someone?

Position battle to watch: I think the battle to watch is at linebacker, where Nebraska looks to replace three departed starters. The middle seems to be tied up by the junior Phillip Dillard, who started two games a season ago, making 37 stops. On the outside, a handful of walk-ons (the senior Tyler Wortman, the sophomores Thomas Grove and Kyle Moore) are fighting it out for playing time with the sophomores Blake Lawrence and Latravis Washington and the redshirt freshman Austin Stafford. Lawrence and Washington played sparingly as freshmen a season ago, but are the likely favorites when fall camp opens in August. One name to watch out for when the season comes around is the incoming freshman Will Compton, who should find himself on the two-deep either inside or on the strongside before the end of the season.

Did they forget someone?

I (among others) let him know that Cody Glenn is somehow running with the first team. OTOH almost every position is open at this point.