How's this for a awaking this morning.............

So I only got about 4 hours of sleep yesterday considering I work midnights and I had training yesterday evening for work. I came home and stayed up until 11:00 or so and then hit the sack thinking I was going to sleep in until 10 or so the next day to catch up on some sleep. WRONG!!!!! As some of you know I am on the SWAT Team here in the metro area. Well we always have training on Thursdays and we usually get a page on our pagers the night before about the time. Sometimes the team leaders forget to send us a page, but we all know it's usually at 9:00am. The team leaders forgot to send us this page last night.

My pager goes off at around 6:00 to 6:15 in the morning. I'm immediately pissed because I'm thinking why in gods name are they sending a training page out this early in the morning? I look at the pager and read this........................"Des Moines Police requesting all available Metro S.T.A.R. Team members to respond to unnamed address for man with a gun holding his three kids hostage. Individual has killed two people out in front of the house please respond!" I was like "HOLY $HIT!!!!" So I run around get everything I need and kiss the wife goodbye because I have a feeling this is going to be a bad one.

I respond to the scene and there is one body in the street and one in a car that has crashed into a telephone pole down the street. Negotiations go bad and the guy is starting to call his family members and saying things like, "See you in the afterlife." and "Me and the kids are going to be with my wife." He killed his wife and she was laying in the street. We were scared to death that he was going to kill his kids. We make entry into the house and my team was responsible for going immediately upstairs and getting the bad guy. We crest the top of the stairs and what do you know 4 GUNSHOTS AND THEY ARE DIRECTED DOWN THE HALLWAY!!!! Needless to say we got the kids out safe with no injuries and the badguy actually didn't get hurt in the situation because we thought he had killed himself. One of the officer's threw a flashbang through the window from the ground floor, this was the second floor, and we think it hit the guy in the head and knocked him out while exploding at the same time. It was a blind throw which ended up saving this guys life! I threw a flashbang through a second floor window from the ground outside before we made entry to distract the guy and thankfully it went through the screen and the window and into the secondary bedroom. One of our other guys wasn't so lucky and he missed his window and the flashbang bounced off the house, got stuck in one of the other guys duty belt and exploded injuring this officer, but not seriously. It was rather humerous afterwards because he received injuries to his a$$ so we gave him a purple a$$ instead of a purple heart.

This was the most dangerous situation I have ever been in and I can't believe it actually happened. I thought for sure once those rounds came down the hall that I was dead and if I wasn't he was going to be dead. My biggest fear was one of the kids running out into the hallway, but thankfully that never happened. I came home and just collapsed from being emotionally drained.

http://www.whotv.com/global/story.asp?s=8843620

. . . all this, while making 32 posts on Huskerboard! :thumbs

Seriously though, BRI, that's pretty intense. I'm glad to hear you and the rest of your squad are okay. Thank you for putting your life on the line so the rest of us can sleep at night.

We thought he had killed himself because he was unconscious and bleeding some from his head or he would've been shot most likely. We definately had enough to justify deadly force considering he shot at us.

That's what I was thinking too with the deadly force factor.

My Gosh, BRI, never a dull moment! Glad you're safe. What ever made you decide to get into that field of work? I think that is a job that requires a special type of person, and obviously you are good at what you do!

Probably the honor that goes along with being on SWAT. It's kinda neat to be the cops when the cops need cops. I'll probably only do it for another 7 years or so. I'll be 35 then and probably worn out from all the crap that goes along with it because it's stressful as hell sometimes.